PDA

View Full Version : Fuel question

greco400
02-15-2006, 02:26 PM
I got some Alcohol (race gas) and i was thinking if i mixed 50/50 or should i just run it with out mixing? I foured a little bit in there and it seemed to run pretty good. It wouldn't hurt it would it? also to drain the carb out for run reg. gas threw it so it doesn't water up? thanks

Old Head
02-15-2006, 02:57 PM
I'd say mix it since your only 11:1 it will save ya some money.

underpowered
02-15-2006, 03:15 PM
is it race gas or alcohol? they are two different things.

400exrider707
02-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Yeah definitely dont mix alcohol in there. If its race gas you dont need it with 11:1 but you can mix that if you so choose. Have fun wasting money!

So is it alcohol or race gas?

400exrules
02-15-2006, 05:06 PM
if its alcohol dont you need to get your carb converted to an alky carb?

greco400
02-15-2006, 07:11 PM
is alcohol i ran it with about a gallon in my tank with no gas i drained it all and it ran very good

400exrider707
02-15-2006, 07:51 PM
You need an alcohol carb. I dont think its a good idea to mix the two, actually I dont know if they even blend. Everytime alcohol is run it needs to be completely drained out of your entire fuel system it is very corrosive.

bradrenea
02-16-2006, 01:32 AM
I find it hard to believe that it "ran very good" by just switching to alcohol. Are you sure its alcohol?( pure Methanol)
I ran it in my 400EX and had to completely remove the main jet to get it to run right. I had to drill out the pilot jet to a size that was bigger than the largest jet you can get for the carb!
Your motor will use about twice as much alcohol as it will gasoline. What I am getting at is if you actually have alcohol and don't rejet it will be running WAAAYYYY lean, to the point that it will barely run above idle.
I don't know what it would hurt to mix the two, but I don't know why you would want too. HEET fuel system dryer is methanol, and it is marketed to be mixed with gas to remove the water from the fuel system. But if your mixing it 50/50 there will be enough alcohol to draw ALOT of moisture, and you'll have to drain the tank after every ride. I let mine sit overnight one time without draining and it would not run the next morning due to the water in the carb!
You also need to change the oil alot more often with alcohol, as it will wash down the cylinder walls. Also what gets past the rings will dilute the oil and make it look milky. I talked to a guy who ran alcohol in his drag car and he actually changed his oil at the race track between passes on long race days because the alcohol would mix with the oil and eat at the rubber seals and corrode the inside of the engine.
The only advantage that I saw with alcohol was the fact that it was alot cheaper than race gas and it does not matter what your compression ratio is. The cost factor kind of diminished due to the fact that you burn twice as much.
Sorry for the long post, I hope it helps.

greco400
02-16-2006, 04:26 AM
yes pure acohol we run it in our 2500 hp Dragster

greco400
02-16-2006, 04:29 AM
and your right about the oil it turns into a pancake mix color. My qaud runs very rich and my plug is always black and when i ran acohol i looked at the plug it was a brownish black with while looked like a brand new plug