PDA

View Full Version : To Anodize or not to Anodize

adinocr7
02-15-2006, 12:56 PM
I am about to send my stock rear shock out to have it re-worked to match up with a new pair of Elka Rec Series Shocks (front) on my KFX.

Its around $275.00 to have the back shock fully re-done. (Valves, seals, spring . . . etc)

I was asked if for an extra $90.00 I would like to have the back shock "Anodized". I was told that after the anodizing the shock will not fade out as quickly.

Is this worth the $90.00, or would I be wasting my hard earned cash?

NacsMXer
02-15-2006, 01:37 PM
I don't know about anodizing counteracting shock fade, I mean I could be wrong, but it sounds like baloney to me. When I had my rear converted to PEP ZPS, they hard-anodized the shock body dark gray. This just makes the surface more durable. Anodizing is just a chemical dye that penetrates the superficial surface layer of aluminum. The surface becomes harder and more resilient as a result. I can't see it dissapating heat like a ceramic coating is intended to do.

K_Fulk
02-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by NacsMXer
I don't know about anodizing counteracting shock fade, I mean I could be wrong, but it sounds like baloney to me. When I had my rear converted to PEP ZPS, they hard-anodized the shock body dark gray. This just makes the surface more durable. Anodizing is just a chemical dye that penetrates the superficial surface layer of aluminum. The surface becomes harder and more resilient as a result. I can't see it dissapating heat like a ceramic coating is intended to do.

Ceramic would hold the heat in.

NacsMXer
02-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Ceramic would hold the heat in.

Yeah my bad, you're right I was thinking the opposite for some reason..:rolleyes: What's your take on the whole anodizing deal?

K_Fulk
02-15-2006, 01:59 PM
It will make it last longer, and he would probly get more out of it if he sold it down the road since it will look prettier.

But I never had any problems out of the 2 rear rebuilds I had. Other than no one wanted to give much money for them since they looked like stock shocks.

adinocr7
02-15-2006, 02:59 PM
Appreciate the feedback guys.