PDA

View Full Version : i'm having trouble putting a 300ex carb. on 300 4x4

blue83ranger
02-15-2006, 11:49 AM
Today i put a 300ex carb. on my '97 300 4x4 and i'm having a few problems i hope i can get some help with. and i did the swap because i don't like having a vaccuum slide and i wanted to have an excelerator pump. and i should also mention i have a full supertrapp exhaust on it, and a power up kit w/ a K&N First my stock cable wouldn't work, the threads on the end of it were to small. so i took a cable off a 250sx and the cable was to short to reach the thumb throttle but i put it on anyway (had to pull on the cable by hand to drive it.) then when i went to put the tank back on, it hit the metal elbow in the cable. so i just let it hit so i could at least test drive it. Then the guy i bought the carb from removed the choke for "better air flow" so i had to pump it like crazy to get it to start. and it runs great and the carb has been jetted. it took off pretty close to normal (maybe a very slight gain) so i went up this hill i can useally take in 3rd and i didn't make it as good as i useally do (started to bog at the top) so i tried it again without the air box lid and no change. so now i'm thinking i'll put all the jets out of my orginal carb in the 300ex carb and see how that is. But basiclly my question is, has anyone done this exact swap before? and what throttle cable did you use? and did it have any power issues? (not enough) and thanks for any help

exrider008
02-15-2006, 01:57 PM
first off i want to say welcome to exriders, as for the carb i would change the jets,use the 300 4x4 throttle cable and it should work fine.

blue83ranger
02-15-2006, 07:32 PM
thanks for the welcome, and i tried the 300 4x4 cable and the threads that screw in the carb are to small for the ex carb.

bradley300
02-16-2006, 08:10 AM
your just gonna have to geuss on the cable to use. anyway, your gonna have to play with the jetting, just because the 300ex carb was jetted dosent mean it is jetted right for the 4x4. keep playing with the jetting until its right

bwamos
02-16-2006, 08:21 AM
You could order a custom cable from Motion Pro. Just order a 300ex cable that is longer by the length you need.

blue83ranger
02-16-2006, 10:38 AM
thanks for the replys, i'll look into the motion pro cable. and the jetting, i jetted my 450r and it runs great so i am capable of doing it. thanks

blue83ranger
02-25-2006, 06:55 PM
i'm having a very rough time finding a cable that fits. i got in touch with motion pro and the fitting on the carb side, they can't make. and just the cable the lenght i need will be $30 plus shipping :eek2:

blue83ranger
03-26-2006, 06:26 PM
well, i finally got it done only i went a different route. i used a carb off a 250sx. I mainly just wanted to get rid of the vac. slide. and i really wanted low end power anyway and i have an insane amount of it now. 1st is insane, and all gears are alot better than they were. i am very happy with how it turned out and i just used the orignal 4x4's jets but still had to move the clip on the needle because the carb is smaller and i used a cable for a '87 350 foreman 4x4, the cable hits the tank yet but barley i just have to wrap some soft stuff around it so it doesn't rub through. so thanks to everyone for the help.