PDA

View Full Version : well ummm

hondajoe05
02-15-2006, 11:35 AM
well today i decided i need to change my oil right and i went out there and started takin of the bolt on the bottom of the oil tank and i noticed it was too tight so tried taken it off anyways and then i broke the peice that.. is connected to the oil tank that holds the bolt in when its all together right and ya i was reading in a similar post where a guy did the same thing cuz he lost his washer .... which i guess i did too

But my questions are how long can i let it sit like this cuz ... im in a a-lot of trouble with the law and stuff and i gotta spend a *** load of money their

and how much do you think i can pick up a stock oil tank i seen a um one for 184.99$ and i don't want to spend near that much cuz thats crazy for a oil tank if you ask me

exrider008
02-15-2006, 11:40 AM
try ebay im sure u can get one there

NacsMXer
02-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by hondajoe05
well today i decided i need to change my oil right and i went out there and started takin of the bolt on the bottom of the oil tank and i noticed it was too tight so tried taken it off anyways and then i broke the peice that.. is connected to the oil tank that holds the bolt in when its all together right and ya i was reading in a similar post where a guy did the same thing cuz he lost his washer .... which i guess i did too

But my questions are how long can i let it sit like this cuz ... im in a a-lot of trouble with the law and stuff and i gotta spend a *** load of money their

and how much do you think i can pick up a stock oil tank i seen a um one for 184.99$ and i don't want to spend near that much cuz thats crazy for a oil tank if you ask me

I did the same thing when I first got my 400. Just remember to ALWAYS use a torque wrench next time, the oil tank gets 14 ft-lbs. Any more than that will easily snap the threaded sleeve on the bottom of the tank like what happened to yours.. The washer also lets you get the correct torque value so remember to pick one of those up too.

Good news is you don't need a new oil tank. Just find a place in your area that can weld aluminum (AKA heliarc welding). I was on a trip once when I broke mine, so I actually had a marine boat dealership weld the piece back on my tank. After it is welded, it will be much stronger than stock if the welds are beefy enough. Was like a 20 dollar repair, no big deal..

Flyin-Low
02-15-2006, 04:52 PM
Man, i feel so much better now because when i first got my 400ex i broke the same peice!!! i guess this is a common problem. but i also went to a local welding shop and got mine welded for 20 dollars canadian...

Dupontster
02-15-2006, 04:59 PM
Mine did the same! I just got it welded and its holding up fine.

400exrida06
02-15-2006, 07:15 PM
Ya the same thing happend to me, but my dad took the thing to work and welded it back in their and its working fine now.

hondajoe05
02-15-2006, 11:24 PM
ok sounds good i'll run it to a shop sometime soon ... i might even jus take it to school and weld it their ..... i'd do it at my house but i'd mess it up cuz haha jus cuz