PDA

View Full Version : Virgin (unsleeved) 300ex cylinder needed

chapmanmd
02-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Howdy.

Anyone have a virgin, unsleeved 300ex cylinder they want to part with for $$? My extra has already been resleeved and doesnt appear to be able to be sleeved again. Im in the middle of a stroker/big bore build and really dont want this to slow me down.

Thanks.

bwamos
02-15-2006, 10:40 AM
I cant help with the cylinder....

But, what bore are you going with?

Why can't you put a new sleeve in the one you have? Is it a big bore sleeve now, and you're going with a smaller bore that needs a standard sleeve? That's the only reason I can think of.

FYI: I'm sure you already know, but a 250x cylinder should also work for you. Give you a few more options.

chapmanmd
02-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Im going with an 80mm bore in the appropriate sleeve. My machinist is telling me that the sleeve (stock size) has already been replaced and he doesnt think he can sleeve the cylinder again.

Should I push back on this???

bwamos
02-15-2006, 12:49 PM
There are more knowledgable engine builders on here than me, but I would bush back a little. I dont see the problem. There is a LOT of aluminum between the sleeve and the cooling fins/stud holes. I would look at getting a big bore sleeve and puting it in, wich requires boring out the aluminum anyway.

He may be thinking of another standard sleeve. That could be a problem, since the metal will stretch out and the new sleeve may not fit tight enough when pressed in again. But, if you upgrade to a bigbore sleeve, it should be a non-issue.

chapmanmd
02-15-2006, 01:01 PM
That was kind of my thought too. Thanks. GREAT input