PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Problems

Falcon Fan
02-15-2006, 07:14 AM
was just wondering if anyone has had this problem and if they can help. Here goes, i have an 03' Z400 bought it last friday. As soon as i got it i changed the oil and coolant. Took it out riding yesterday and for some reason the fan would not kick on, it ran fine with no problems all day. I was wondering if it was just cool enough that the coolant didnt need the fan on, but i talked to a few guys down here and they said as soon as it gets anywhere close to the hot point it will kick that fan on, anyways any help would be appreciated

huffdaddy_400EX
02-15-2006, 11:53 AM
When you changed the coolent did you check the level afterwards? If the coolent level is not full it can cause the thermostat to malfunction.

If the coolent level is fine you'll need to check the thermostat and the fan. I would suggest getting a shop manual for this as well as a multi-meter for the tests.

IrideMHSC
02-15-2006, 02:54 PM
yea if you run the coolant low it wont kick on... but sometimes i run mine with the level just right and the fan takes forever to kick on

Z-Rider86
02-15-2006, 04:35 PM
I would check the coolent levels. I've rode hard all day during the summer and it took forever to kick on. Once it did it was only on for maybe a minute. It also depends on what type of coolent ur using. I use Engine Ice and it keeps my engine a lot cooler.

Falcon Fan
02-15-2006, 05:48 PM
that is kinda what i thought about the situation, is that i just didnt get it hot enough, i am going to take it to a shop this saturday and have them go through it anyways, valves tightened up and the works anyways thanks for the posts.

indyZrider
02-16-2006, 08:34 PM
there is also a fuse for the fan on the rad

BLACKZ400
02-20-2006, 09:13 PM
EVERY SINCE I PUT MY YOSHI FULL SYSTEM I STARTED RUNNING ENGINE ICE COOLANT AND NOW SINCE THEN I CAN RIDE FOR ABOUT 2 8 HR DAYS AND MY COOLANT RESERVOR WILL BE EMPTY ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT

STF
02-21-2006, 06:22 PM
sum could be ur themostat,but u could have electrical probles ur fan bearing could of went out, u might wanna check and make sure there are no holes my fender bracket broke and rubbed hole in radiator which drained it so then tha fan would kick on due to low coolant if tht aint it let me knw

STF
02-21-2006, 06:23 PM
kfx 400 orange K&N bumper grabbar shockwears

STF
02-21-2006, 06:28 PM
if i waz u id shell out about 360 dollars and buy a new radiator,it will run 70 to 80 degrees cooler and yes it hooks up to tha original hoses,easy to dwap out just unbolt and it slides right out dont even gotta take of da plastic just scoops but tht aint hard

BLACKZ400
02-22-2006, 09:35 AM
I NOT ITS NOT THE FAN CUZ THE FAN STILL KICKS ON . I KNOW THAT THERES NOT A HOLE IN THE RADIATOR DO U THINK IT COULD BE A CRACKED HEAD OR HEAD GASKET