PDA

View Full Version : just helping

middleman102002
02-14-2006, 11:10 PM
ok im not bashing 400exs just trying to help you guys out

my freind just bought an 05 with reverse and its been running great well he heard about the recall for reverse and took it in and they said his wasnt part of the recal that his would be ok

well we where ridding the other day and he was in 4th gear topped out and all the sudden pop it slammed into reverse there where 7 of use there anbd we thought his engine blew thats how loud the pop was

it threw him off the bike and he broke his wrist now the dealership says oh yeah yours was part of the recall

all im trying to say is the dealers will try and get by having to fix yours so if you have a 05-06 400ex make them fix it before you get really hurt my freind broke his wrist so you guys wouldnt have to hurt yourselfs

rooster_20
02-15-2006, 05:48 AM
Should have had an older model without reverse! They are better anyways.

spr-scott
02-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Sounds like your friend needs to call a lawyer.

04'400ex'er
02-21-2006, 09:21 PM
That sucks man. Id ask the Honda dealer what they have to think about that...

PismoLocal
02-21-2006, 10:11 PM
ya if i was your buddy i would definitely call a lawyer, saving a couple bucks isnt worth compromising safety

prepracing
02-22-2006, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by PismoLocal
ya if i was your buddy i would definitely call a lawyer, saving a couple bucks isnt worth compromising safety

what sucks is the dealers act like their losing.......when their actually not. Honda sends out the recall kits and reimburses them on labor. Yeah I would try and get something out of that dealer and if not inquire about some legal action :macho

NCexRider
02-22-2006, 05:20 AM
You say his quad went from the top of 4th gear into reverse? That doesn't make sense, and that's not even what the recall will take care of. Do you mean he was downshifting and hit it? You have to downshift beyond first gear to hit reverse. The recall just insures that you have to use the assist lever to do so. :confused:

He should talk to an attorney in any event......

middleman102002
02-22-2006, 08:40 PM
the way that i understand it is that the recall was for a piece inside the reverse mechanism im not sure what it does but honda has said that it will fail and cause the bike to shift into reverse on accident

my friend was not shifting down he was simply riding along and bang thats why he got thrown so bad he wasnt expecting it

the way the tech explained it to me is yes you do need to use a lever to make it go into reverse but with the parts that failed on my friends bike it was like the lever was pulled the whole time

hes called honda and theve expplained to him that the reverse mechanism is actually not p[art of the transsmision technically so if all the saftey pieces fail it could go into reverse in any gear what honda said not me

NCexRider
02-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Right, it does make it like the lever is pulled the whole time, but you still have to downshift past first to hit reverse. To go from 4th straight into reverse with no prompting is near impossible. The entire gearing in his tranny would have to have gone haywire, which has absolutely nothing to do with the recall and is not something I can see happening to an EX that new anyway. There is no safety piece that could fail and cause the quad to shift from 4th to reverse while in forward motion.:ermm:

middleman102002
02-23-2006, 09:37 PM
from what honda tech and honda have told me and my friend
the reverse mechanism is like on a harley trike it is another gear added to the outside of the transmission and can be engaged in any gear if the saftey mechanisms have failed

this is the way that honda the people who make the bike have told me so i dont think there wrong

the recall is to for this apparently they had some 1500 test bikes randomlly go into reverse while they where being tested they thought they had fixed the problem but obviously not

the recal is for a new saftey mechanism exactly what went wrong on my friends bike the reason for this post was to warn people who have a 05-06 400ex to not trust the dealership because theyll try to get out of it any way possible because there still gbetting payed by honda

i didnt mean for you to try and argue with me

quader400
02-23-2006, 10:32 PM
i smell a fat fat law suit

NCexRider
02-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by middleman102002
from what honda tech and honda have told me and my friend
the reverse mechanism is like on a harley trike it is another gear added to the outside of the transmission and can be engaged in any gear if the saftey mechanisms have failed

this is the way that honda the people who make the bike have told me so i dont think there wrong

the recall is to for this apparently they had some 1500 test bikes randomlly go into reverse while they where being tested they thought they had fixed the problem but obviously not

the recal is for a new saftey mechanism exactly what went wrong on my friends bike the reason for this post was to warn people who have a 05-06 400ex to not trust the dealership because theyll try to get out of it any way possible because there still gbetting payed by honda

i didnt mean for you to try and argue with me

Whatever you say. I have had the recall performed on my quad and saw first hand what parts they put in and what the function of those parts, or rather part and seals is, but you seem to be all knowing so therefore I have no argument. Maybe I misunderstood the detailed explanation my technician gave me.

middleman102002
02-24-2006, 11:13 PM
hey im not the all knowing one your the one that read my thread and decided that you knew better than me and decided to post and correct me so apparently you knew better than me

look this is beside the point ill i was trying to do was help you guys out

theres a probelm with the 400ex 2005-2006 models and if you dont get it fixed you migfht hurt yourself so please get it fixed i dont want to see a post on hear

"HONDA sued because of death on 400ex"

thats all that could hurt the sport very baddly and more importantly someone would be hurt

so im sorry for being the "ALL KNOWING ONE"
and next time i hear about a potentially deadly problem with a quad i will think to myself humm i better try and not be mister all knowing

NCexRider
02-26-2006, 06:33 PM
I wasn't downplaying the problem. By all means it's serious. Just your account of what the problem actually was.

middleman102002
02-27-2006, 04:39 PM
well im sorry you dont believe me but im going by facts here and thats all i know

this did really happen exactly as i explained and if you dont believe me i dont really care im trying to help people not prove myself so as far as im concerened you can take this info and use it or throw it away i dont care this is my experience with the probelm and im sharing it you are the kind of person keeping people from wanting to share it

coryatver
02-27-2006, 04:46 PM
I would give honda a call directly and see what they think of this. It is not hondas fault it is the dealers. And you even told them to do the recall man you could sue them for all there worth:eek2: