PDA

View Full Version : Problems Starting??? Help!!!

Fireitup21
02-14-2006, 07:13 PM
OK here's the deal, 2001 400EX, gas is ON, tried choke and no choke, key is ON, will not start. I know the battery was going to crap so I replaced it and still it will not start. If I try to start it in gear with clutch in, the quad tries to "move" forward, probably about an 1" or so. If I try it in neutral like I usually do, it will just keep trying to start. I have ripped apart the quad thinking its electrical or something. Does anyone have any ideas or have this happen to them before??? Its starting to piss me off. Thanks for your help everyone.

TIM

fireitup21@verizon.net

rooster400ex
02-14-2006, 07:15 PM
not to make you mad or nothing, but did u check if u have any gas? i know i was trying for like an hour today to start mine up, and come to find out, there was no gas. I was so pissed.

NCexRider
02-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Replace your spark plug.

rooster400ex
02-14-2006, 07:30 PM
does it make that noise like ur battery is dead errr errr?

94F450SD
02-14-2006, 09:23 PM
hey,im from plymouth,ma also!

sounds like you may have flooded the engine,try a new plug.and not to be an *** but make sure the handle bar switch is on.i did this on mine when i got it.killed the battery,flooded it only to find out the switch on the handle bars wasnt on.

DieselBoy
02-14-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by 94F450SD
hey,im from plymouth,ma also!

sounds like you may have flooded the engine,try a new plug.and not to be an *** but make sure the handle bar switch is on.i did this on mine when i got it.killed the battery,flooded it only to find out the switch on the handle bars wasnt on.

Haha, I've done that a couple times now. The one time when it wouldnt start i did a spark check and there was no spark i thought somethin was really wrong so i went inside to get coffee and it hit me, the killswitch wasn't in the middle where it needs to be. I kinda wish it was a spring loaded button instead of a switch like on my YZ250.

02-14-2006, 09:30 PM
change your spark plugs, make sure ur kill switch thing is on

94F450SD
02-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by DieselBoy
Haha, I've done that a couple times now. The one time when it wouldnt start i did a spark check and there was no spark i thought somethin was really wrong so i went inside to get coffee and it hit me, the killswitch wasn't in the middle where it needs to be. I kinda wish it was a spring loaded button instead of a switch like on my YZ250.

i do it all the time.i normally shut it off with the key.but when im riding and stop or put it on the truck i shut it off with that stupid switch.then when i go to restsart it i forgot i turned it off with the switch and it wont start.i also do it in reverse.ill be in reverse,stall it and it wont start unless its in a forward gear or neutral.i gotta fix that.

Fireitup21
02-15-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm laughing over here b/c I usually do forget to flip the kill switch, but yes, I have checked that and the gas, and i thought it flooded so I waited but its not that either. I am gonna try the spark plug tomorrow and see what happens. I seem to think it is something electrical but I am no mechanic either, just sorta good with stuff like this so we will see. Thanks for all your help I will let you know the turn out.

nxkustoms
02-22-2006, 07:55 PM
I have the same problem and iv adjusted everything, new plugs, cleaned the carb. tomorrow im going to adjust the valves and if that doesnt work im going to smash the piece of crap

DieselBoy
02-22-2006, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by nxkustoms
I have the same problem and iv adjusted everything, new plugs, cleaned the carb. tomorrow im going to adjust the valves and if that doesnt work im going to smash the piece of crap

Done a spark test? pull plug, keep in boot, mount against side of engine firmly but do not touch, turn it over. look for healthy blue spark, if spark is not consistant, weak or is not present - replace coil.

If that is a success, do a compression test. if that's fine..
then it has to be fuel delivery.