PDA

View Full Version : Yoshimura EFI controllers

dg95
02-14-2006, 12:40 PM
Does anyone know what the deal is with the cherry bomb and the piggyback module they sell? Do they work together? Or is the piggyback a better version of the cherry bomb?

Speed_MDS2
02-16-2006, 05:02 AM
The EMS is a better (adjustable) version of the CBomb. If you get the EMS you don't need the cherrybomb. The EMS comes with 2 maps on it, one for yoshi's race pipe, and one for there pipe with a spark arrestor.

jeffw3048
02-22-2006, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Speed_MDS2
The EMS is a better (adjustable) version of the CBomb. If you get the EMS you don't need the cherrybomb. The EMS comes with 2 maps on it, one for yoshi's race pipe, and one for there pipe with a spark arrestor.

CB does not adjust the fuel map.... it only selects the "race" version over the stock emission map. The PIM (EMS like device) allows you to tune the map.

AL Elks
02-22-2006, 01:22 PM
Now that I think of it the following parts are what Yoshi is selling:

http://WWW.POSTNETLNC.COM/Z400/ltr450/PICS/EMC CRBM.jpg
CRBM Part#: 2115-AMS MSRP $39.95

http://WWW.POSTNETLNC.COM/Z400/ltr450/PICS/EMC PIM.jpg
PIM Part#: R-432 MSRP $239.95

http://WWW.POSTNETLNC.COM/Z400/ltr450/PICS/EMC FIMAK.jpg
FIMAK Part#: R-422 MSRP $259.95

Now if I'm correct as long as we have a laptop we can skip buying the FIMAK and just download the program below and use the PIM to interface with the system. We just have to buy a USB to serial cable to connect the laptop with the PIM.

Here's a link to the free EMS programming software: http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/EMS/yoshEMS1025.exe

Initially that may be what I do if it works but who knows if the money magically appears I'll buy the whole setup.

OKTRX450R
02-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Nice find...thanks for posting...if I just had the PIM now!

ScooterBike
02-22-2006, 02:40 PM
with the Yosh PIM how do you run the test? Do you just lift up the back end or ref it in nutural?? or do you still need to put it on a dyno stand for resistance?

AL Elks
02-22-2006, 03:32 PM
I've been searching for info on how to tune EFI. So far I really haven't come up with much except a site called efi101.com that offers a course. Anyone have any links that have some good info?

PS I have a call into Yoshi about this very thing asking for instructions on the new EMS module. I also asked them if I could download their FREE EMS programming program and use a USB to serial cable to tune the LTR. I'll let you know what they say.

EDIT: Found this interesting site: http://members.aol.com/dvandrews/ems.htm#index

badvox
02-22-2006, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by AL Elks
I've been searching for info on how to tune EFI. So far I really haven't come up with much except a site called efi101.com that offers a course. Anyone have any links that have some good info?

PS I have a call into Yoshi about this very thing asking for instructions on the new EMS module. I also asked them if I could download their FREE EMS programming program and use a USB to serial cable to tune the LTR. I'll let you know what they say.

EDIT: Found this interesting site: http://members.aol.com/dvandrews/ems.htm#index

Do a google search for efi diy if you cant find it i'll post the link but it should come right up.

I have been working on a community project for programming cannondales and have learned alot about efi. Still no expert though. But what I do know is that you will not be able to program the ECU without their box. The CAN protocols are fairly strange little beasts and requires some special hardware things other than just a serial cable.

Who knows perhaps in the future we can start a community LTR ECU Diagnostic tool.

Its fairly simple to trace all of the commands they send. Then of course you have to write your own application. It can definitely be done.

AL Elks
02-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the info Mike! Yea I'm searching the internet now!

armoks
02-22-2006, 06:38 PM
After working on Dales EFI I can tell you that this should be interesting. from the way the downloadable program is you should be able to do alot with the mapping just like the dale system and then some. Can't wait to see this EFI take off!!!!

AL Elks
02-22-2006, 06:52 PM
I talked with Steve from Yoshi and he said he's 95% sure that I can't just use the PIM with a cable to adjust the EFI. He said I really need to talk to Doug though who wasn't in today. I"ll give Doug a call tomorrow to get the skinny.

OzLinc
02-22-2006, 09:11 PM
I think the difference here is that with the Dale you re-program the stock ECU (correct me if I'm wrong) but with the LTR/Yoshi set-up you replace the stock ECU with a unit that was made to be re-programed in the first place.

badvox
02-22-2006, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by OzLinc
I think the difference here is that with the Dale you re-program the stock ECU (correct me if I'm wrong) but with the LTR/Yoshi set-up you replace the stock ECU with a unit that was made to be re-programed in the first place.

Well there appears to be 2 different modules from yoshi.
One being a unit that has 2 maps in it and one that is the CAN protocol interface in it that allows a user to program it with Yoshi's software. You can download the software for free but it wont do you much good till some hacker reverse engineers the CAN box.

You're definitely on the track though. Its a Kehin EFI so I am sure there are more aftermarket programmers for it.

badvox
02-23-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by AL Elks
Thanks for the info Mike! Yea I'm searching the internet now!

Here ya go. This might be more than you were looking for but there are some very good informative articles there.

diy-efi.org

OzLinc
02-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by badvox
Well there appears to be 2 different modules from yoshi.
One being a unit that has 2 maps in it and one that is the CAN protocol interface in it that allows a user to program it with Yoshi's software.

I really do think these 2 different modules you speak of are one and the same.

I believe the Yoshi EMS is a fully programable unit from the get go. It comes with 2 pre-programmed maps that use the cherry bomb setting as a starting point and a slightly more aggressive map for a more open exhaust. Obviously you need a pre-programed map or the thing wouldn't even start in the first place. From here you could modify one of these pre-programmed maps and save it as a third (or more on a PC).

The FIMAK and the PC, plug in to the same port and to do exactly the same thing, the difference being the user interface. The PC would provide the same information and adjust the same peramiters as the FIMAK but allow you to see far more information at once in a far more user friendly way.

I know this is all speculation at the moment and my experience with this type of product is in the jap auto industry; we dont even know if the software works, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

There are some swiched on people here so it wont take long get the full story.

Linc

badvox
02-23-2006, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by OzLinc
I really do think these 2 different modules you speak of are one and the same.

I believe the Yoshi EMS is a fully programable unit from the get go. It comes with 2 pre-programmed maps that use the cherry bomb setting as a starting point and a slightly more aggressive map for a more open exhaust. Obviously you need a pre-programed map or the thing wouldn't even start in the first place. From here you could modify one of these pre-programmed maps and save it as a third (or more on a PC).

The FIMAK and the PC, plug in to the same port and to do exactly the same thing, the difference being the user interface. The PC would provide the same information and adjust the same peramiters as the FIMAK but allow you to see far more information at once in a far more user friendly way.

I know this is all speculation at the moment and my experience with this type of product is in the jap auto industry; we dont even know if the software works, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

There are some swiched on people here so it wont take long get the full story.

Linc

My bad. I was thinking of the PIM and the FIMAK. After reading the description again you are right. The CAN interface is in the PIM. FIMAK is apparently just a programmer so you dont have to have a PC to adjust anything. Smart design no PC required like with dales.

Cool

AL Elks
02-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Well according to Yoshi you have to have the PIM and FIMAK and you can't just hook a laptop to the pim and get the software to work. According to them the software is different.

Of course that doesn't mean someone who is smart enough can't hack the software and figure this thing out but it's way out of my skill level.