PDA

View Full Version : Kick start gear play????

stever250r
02-14-2006, 11:55 AM
I just put my bottom end back together on my 250r and encountered some problems when installing the kick start shaft behind the right side clutch cover.

I read the clymer manual, and it said that on 85 3 wheeled models there were two washers that went on each side of the collar. They are number 12 on the fiche. I have 86 center cases and the guts came from an 86 3 wheeled engine.

If I try and install the washers on either side of the collar it will not let my right side clutch cover seat. Even one washer is two thick and will not allow it to seat. If I remove both of them and use only the collar the clutch cover will bolt up and seal fine but it allows the large kick start gear to move. I can hear it when tilting my engine from one side to the other.

I thought there was a thin washer that went between the collar on the kick shaft and the clutch cover but the fiche does not show this.

Can anyone with engine experience help me out????

Beerock?????

matt250r21
02-14-2006, 12:21 PM
I jusy check one of my part 86 engines, mine also has a little free play in it when tilted side to side. 86 engine dose not use the thin washer, only 88 + 89, 85 uses 2.