PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket Setup???

BLURR250X
07-15-2002, 04:23 PM
I have been using a 12 tooth spoket on the front and a 38 tooth on the back.I like the acceleration of the 12 tooth but I wind the engine out too quick. Would a 12 on the front and a 39 on the back give me more speed and acceleration or shoul i just leave it alone?

yellow_ho_01
07-15-2002, 07:51 PM
if you are talking about a 400ex,.. i have not seen a 12T out there... but it could be. incase you dont know much about sprockets, this might help... in your case you want more speed right, but when you gain speed you also lose torque, say thing the other way around,.. you want torque you lose speed. SO if you have a 12T and 38T you have taken a large step down from stock speed, but gained torque, right. If you put a bigger(39T) on you will gain more torque and lose more speed.... THIS is where eveyone gets confused.... for speed-more in the front and/or less in the rear,... for more torque-less in the front more in the front.
If you want to have the best of both worlds with mild mods, get a 14T and 38T, youll be all set. (or stay with your 12T and get a 36T or less which ive found to be hard to find.) it is also recomended that you change all three(2 sprockets and the chain) at the same time,... when one is bad it wears out the rest quicker.
If i were in your position, id buy a new chain, 14T and 38T.
Hope this helps.

rowlrag
07-15-2002, 08:30 PM
e