PDA

View Full Version : few questions about rear shock rebuild

quader400
02-13-2006, 09:39 PM
i recently broke my leg jumping and decided on my time off im going to put some money into my wheeler... I was thinking about sending it to elka since i have elka fronts. any other companies better cheaper? that could still valve to match my fronts. how long is turn around usually on sending it in and getting it back and what are some of the prices from diffrent companies. thanks

prepracing
02-13-2006, 09:54 PM
send it to C & D racing ( site sponser ) they can revalve it and put the elka spring kit on it if u want. GTthunder also does it and Derisiracing, also GT and derisi have different shock links also, C & D might but not sure on that. They all stay busy doing this so I would contact them to ask about turnaround times

02-13-2006, 10:50 PM
GT thunder has had mine now for over 2 weeks but hes supposed to be one of the best

400exMO
02-14-2006, 05:48 AM
C&D racing does not cary links. On rebuilding the shocks, C&D is a good bet, also GT Thunder. Do you have elkas all around?

quader400
02-14-2006, 08:07 AM
no just in front but the rear i want valved and sprung to match the elkas up front

400exMO
02-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Send all three to C&D Racing. They can revalve and rebuild your front shocks and convert your rear to a dual link with zps.

04TRX400EX
02-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by 400exMO
They can revalve and rebuild your front shocks and convert your rear to a dual link with zps.

Anyone know about how much that would cost? I want to get some new shocks too, but it's real expensive to get fronts and the rear at the same time, and I know the rear left stock is no match for the new fronts.

What is the performance difference between an Elka-converted rear and a dual-rate Elka w/remote rezzie?

02-15-2006, 07:26 PM
send them to G T Thunder or Elka, cant go wrong with either

400exMO
02-15-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
Anyone know about how much that would cost? I want to get some new shocks too, but it's real expensive to get fronts and the rear at the same time, and I know the rear left stock is no match for the new fronts.

What is the performance difference between an Elka-converted rear and a dual-rate Elka w/remote rezzie?

Send it to c@d racing, they'll do the zps dual rate with a special valve that will give you an inch more travel in the rear, it's 380$. Or leave out the valve and have the rest done for 300$.

The Elka will be better, but for us average riders the converted will be adequate enough.

HondaRacing23
03-08-2006, 07:59 PM
im sending all three of my shocks off my 04 450r to DERISI RACING. what do you guys think of him...

03-08-2006, 09:12 PM
hes really good but be prepared to wait...last I heard it took someone over a month to get there stuff back

fultz416ex
03-09-2006, 04:21 AM
the wait is worth it. i just got mine back and these things rock. give santo a call, he is always willing to talk and tell you what would be the best for you.

travis

chapmanmd
03-09-2006, 06:59 AM
I just sent my Ohlins front TT shocks to DeRisi 2 weeks ago. He is a good shock dude.

I wanted to send them to C&D, but he couldnt do a revalve on Ohlins.

Colby is a good dude at C&D. I would definitely trust him with any of my stuff.

WOLFPACK
03-09-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by 400exMO
Send it to c@d racing, they'll do the zps dual rate with a special valve that will give you an inch more travel in the rear, it's 380$. Or leave out the valve and have the rest done for 300$.

The Elka will be better, but for us average riders the converted will be adequate enough. Neither the ELKA rebuild or aftermarket rear is better than C&D's rebuild. The ELKA rear may be comparable but not better. The Elka rebuilds valving is no where close to the valving C&D has. This is the biggest and most understandable misconception in ATV suspension today. Spending more on your suspension doesn't always equate to a better shock. Rebuilds are the direction the shock market is heading. The manufacturers are comming out with great shocks that are good for most riders with just a little modification and a major savings to the consumer. The only restriction a rebuild has versus an aftermarket shock is the treads ( ride adjustability) on the shock body. And, even that has been addressed with a new collar that extends the threads. The only exception to this is long travel.

We have had several customers sell thier ELKA rear in preference to our rebuild. Most of this is due to word of mouth. With shock dynos we can reproduce exactly the same effect in a stock shock as you would get in an aftermarket.

Here is another point of interest, the modification the C&D as well as our shop does to the inside of the shock, coupled with the new valve and valving eliminates the need for a new linkage, gives you additional travel and takes away the inherent bucking effect the the 450R is known for.

GT Thunder, DeRisi, C&D.........All make an improvement over the stock shock. Ofcoarse, we all think ours is superior. But, the truth is, until we test it side by side no one holds exclusive bragging rights. So, when someone says GT Thunder, DeRisi, C&D or LOBO Suspension is the best, what they really mean to say is it is the best they have riden.

I hope this has helped some of you in some way!

Take Care and God Bless!

Shane

03-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by WOLFPACK
Neither the ELKA rebuild or aftermarket rear is better than C&D's rebuild. The ELKA rear may be comparable but not better. The Elka rebuilds valving is no where close to the valving C&D has. This is the biggest and most understandable misconception in ATV suspension today. Spending more on your suspension doesn't always equate to a better shock. Rebuilds are the direction the shock market is heading. The manufacturers are comming out with great shocks that are good for most riders with just a little modification and a major savings to the consumer. The only restriction a rebuild has versus an aftermarket shock is the treads ( ride adjustability) on the shock body. And, even that has been addressed with a new collar that extends the threads. The only exception to this is long travel.

We have had several customers sell thier ELKA rear in preference to our rebuild. Most of this is due to word of mouth. With shock dynos we can reproduce exactly the same effect in a stock shock as you would get in an aftermarket.

Here is another point of interest, the modification the C&D as well as our shop does to the inside of the shock, coupled with the new valve and valving eliminates the need for a new linkage, gives you additional travel and takes away the inherent bucking effect the the 450R is known for.

GT Thunder, DeRisi, C&D.........All make an improvement over the stock shock. Ofcoarse, we all think ours is superior. But, the truth is, until we test it side by side no one holds exclusive bragging rights. So, when someone says GT Thunder, DeRisi, C&D or LOBO Suspension is the best, what they really mean to say is it is the best they have riden.

I hope this has helped some of you in some way!

Take Care and God Bless!

Shane

i am still as of yet to recieve information on your proclaimed "lobo suspension" when i have asked to see the web site for over a month, how long do i need to wait? not trying to flame here, but if your products are that much better then G T Thunder, then why cant i see them :confused:

Chino886
03-09-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
i am still as of yet to recieve information on your proclaimed "lobo suspension" when i have asked to see the web site for over a month, how long do i need to wait? not trying to flame here, but if your products are that much better then G T Thunder, then why cant i see them :confused:

Well, if you can't advertise on the forum, wouldn't posting his website be advertising. Cut him some slack Yurik, if you want, call me and I will give you his number, that is if WOLFPACK does not mind. From what little I have talked to WOLFPACK, he never claimed to be better than anyone else, but he said he can make whatever I have "better".......

Nothing against you Yurik, but everything you say is the best, is all in your signature. They may not be the best, but because you signed on the dotted line, they are the best until your contract expires! I have talked to several suspension people and they all agree that Elka is not the "best"! Is is the best I have ridden, probably......but this is also compared to shocks that were not valved for me and stockers! Without having several shocks all at once (one rebuilt by C&D, GT Thunder, Derisi, Wolfpack) I don't think anyone can determine what the best is, afterall, how different can all their work be........?

Yurik, I am not flaming you, just asking to be open for other opinions.

Chino886

WOLFPACK
03-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
i am still as of yet to recieve information on your proclaimed "lobo suspension" when i have asked to see the web site for over a month, how long do i need to wait? not trying to flame here, but if your products are that much better then G T Thunder, then why cant i see them :confused: First Yurik, I have never claimed in this forum that my rebuilds are better than anyone elses! If fact, as you should have read in my last posting, the decision is still out on that subject. All I can say is I believe I build a pretty awesome shock.

I have in fact answered your request for my website and told you that it is not up and running. I haven't posted pictures or openly tried to solicate business here because I will keep my word to Harlen. Your opinion of what is prudent or not in keeping my word is of little relevance to me.

If GT Thunder is your sponsor then you should be true to them and not be inquiring into others product in an open forum. If I were your sponsor i'd have to drop you!

Oh. but wait, you didn't really think I believed you were asking about my rebuilds because of a possible future sponsorship or purchase did you? I think you are either trying to protect what business GT Thunder is getting here or your just naturally into conflict. I believe the later to be more true.

I have not said anything adverse about GT Thunder, DeRisi or C&D and on the contrary have openly endorsed the work of those I know to be exceptional (C&D Colby has a great rebuild).

Maybe you have misunderstood what I am about. I do suspension work and absolutely love what I do. I do it because it is fun and allows me to meet, on any given weekend, an awesome group of people that share the same hobby as I. If it ever becomes not fun then i'm out. Unfortunately, as in pretty much anything we do there are those that prefer to cause termoil over just enjoying the sport and those you meet because of it.

You do not know me or my work. It is in fact possible that I could build a shock that is far superior to that of GT Thunder or vice versa. The fact is this, until a shoot out is performed on a totally random build, we will not have an absolute answer on that. So, I will have those that prefer my work and Gt Thunder will have those that prefer thiers.

God Bless!

Shane

chapmanmd
03-09-2006, 11:16 AM
Wolfpack, do you have an email address that some of us that are looking for legitimate information can use to contact you?

Thanks.

WOLFPACK
03-09-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by chapmanmd
Wolfpack, do you have an email address that some of us that are looking for legitimate information can use to contact you?

Thanks. Anyone that may need help can contact us at wolfpackracing@comcast.net. It isn't always about the dollar, we love to help whenever we can. I would just ask that you be a bit patient if we don't get right back to you. This is the time when shock builders are slammed.

Shane
GOD Bless!

Colby@C&DRacing
03-09-2006, 12:45 PM
I agree with wolfpack.
Many people are spending way to much on suspension not knowing that we can get very good performance from the factory shocks. As for who's is better or cheaper that is a good question. Our setup is not the cheapest but we also have allot more parts to our setup than others. We provide 8 new springs, 5 stationary crossovers, 4 floating crossovers, 2 upper spring retainers, 2 lower spring retainers, 1 threaded preload device, and a new vavle body and valving ( these parts all cost money to get made). This allows us to make our shocks super tunable for the customer, after receiving a conversion from use if changes in setup are required the customer can be told how to make these adjustment without having to sent the shocks back to us. Are the stock converted shocks the best way to go ?? they are getting better all the time but they do have some limits

redrocker
03-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Well this is all good news
Colby because I'm hoping my axis
front shocks And my stock 01 Raptor
shock should be arriving at C&D Racing
by tomorow 3/10/06 I'm looking
forward to the 1st ride
Thanks again