PDA

View Full Version : Need to buy a Kill switch-any advice?

wyldelee
02-13-2006, 08:12 PM
I need to buy a kill switch for my LTR. I was looking at a few different brands but thought I would ask for some advice. Which brands are good and where is a suggested place to buy?
Thanks in advance,
Lee

jpb450
02-13-2006, 09:58 PM
I used a pro armor. I have a pro design on my yfz and I have had some problems with the insides getting dirty, plus the pro armor you will fit "fat bars" and the pro design will not.It took a little while to figure out, but other than that it worked out fine. Let me know if you need help hooking it up. It takes about 2 min. when you have the right wires.

jason14x
02-14-2006, 03:15 AM
Jpb, I will be getting a pro armor switch so whats your advice? What do I need and how did you hook it up? Thanks in advance

Jason

jpb450
02-14-2006, 05:38 AM
The only thing I need was 2 wire splices and about a 6" peice of wire. If you look at the gear shifter there are 2 wiring harnesses that come up from behind the sprocket cover. These come up to the cross member on the frame and turn toward the rear of the bike (you have to remove the back fenders). Locate the connector that has a blue and white wire. I fished the long wire of the switch through the front fenders over the radiator. I had to add some wire to it to make it long enough to reach. Splice in to the white wire just above the connector. I grounded the short wire from the switch to a bolt hole that held the head light mounting bracket. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more help!

jason14x
02-14-2006, 06:43 AM
Thanks Jpb. Was the headlight on /off assembly easy to unplug or did you leave that and the key switch in place for now? Sounds easy I'm sure once my bikes in front of me and im doing it it will be easier than trying to picture it without ever seeing it! Thanks Again!

jason

wyldelee
02-14-2006, 09:28 AM
Hey jpb thanks. By the way was that kill switch open or closed circuit? Thanks again for the help.

Lee

LTR450_#67
02-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Don't get the overpriced Pingel killswitch! I have a lot of fellow racers that have busted the wires off right where it goes in to the casing by hitting it with their knee or arm. Also a buddy of mine broke his wrist when it happened cuz it cut out right before he took off for a jump! I have used prodesign with nothin but good luck. I fit mine onto fatbars no problem. I just use a dremel and shave the plastic. I have a ProArmor kill switch that I think I am gonna try this year......

jpb450
02-14-2006, 08:26 PM
No I left all the headlight switches and stuff on for now. I did remove the head light. It was only 3 bolts. The bulb unscrews from the housing, and then you have to pull the rubber boot up on the bulb assembley. I just tie wrapped the wires up for now.

I have heard that you can use a simple dirt bike kill switch (the single button kind) as a start button. I have never done this though. Here is one I found.http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?prodFamilyId=9314&navTitle=Electrical&webCatId=20&pageLinkUri=&vehicleType=&webTypeId=205&navType=type

Hope this helps.