PDA

View Full Version : rear axle bearings

09-30-2001, 08:05 PM
I have an '02 400ex with close to forty hours, with 75% of those slinging mud. When should I pull the rear axle apart and inspect the bearings?
John

EXtreme-
10-01-2001, 08:59 PM
John,
If you are a weekend warrior and beat the snot out of it, you should still get a good year out of the stock bearings. (Racing may prove differently.) There is no way to "see" them....they're a sealed bearing....non-greasable throw-aways. When it's time to replace em, you'll discover that the axle is sloppy by raising it up on the skid and checking for play. Rocky Mountain carries the identical bearing for 14.50 each....compared to Honda's 36.00 each. Don't forget the seals too. I doubt you'll need em for a while...they seem to remain tight for quite a while.

Yes I am :)

10-02-2001, 07:12 AM
Thanks extreme,
How bout the swingarm bearings up front, are they sealed also?
John

Lasher
10-02-2001, 08:12 AM
Not sure if the 400ex bearings are the same as the R, but you can grease the sealed bearings. I did it before this past season.

If you carefully pry back the sealed part of the bearing using a small screwdriver, you will see the bearings inside. I packed them with waterproof grease and then tapped the seal back on. If you do it carefully enough, you will not damage the seal.

trx400ex
10-04-2001, 05:17 PM
be sure to take care of a problem before it starts chewing up the carrier, mine did that and i did not like payin180 for a new one