PDA

View Full Version : Outlaw Handling

ugottabayou
02-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Everybody who has ridden an Outlaw -

How did you like the handling characteristics of the IRS? I've been curious. How does it compare to a solid axle?

smokinwrench
02-13-2006, 09:49 PM
I rode one today and here are my exact thoughts.

My riding buddy and me took out a new Outlaw and his 05 Troy Lee today. For a good side by side test run down the river (dry sandy bottom, high speed riding with lots of whoops and small drop offs).

We rode the crap out of it for about an hour this afternoon. I have got to say it did not impress me that much. After reading all the hype on the net about it I was expecting to trade off my Troy Lee today.

It does have a smooth ride but it has a heavy feel. I can pick the front end off the ground on the Predator at any speed to help smooth out whoops, can't do that on a Outlaw near as easy. We did jump it a bunch on some off camber jumps. It lands perfect everytime, but feels heavy when it lands. I'm sure the suspension needed some fine tuning and he adjusted on it before I got there to soften it up a bunch. Seemed like when you got into a long set of whoops it was some what uncontrolable on the rear. One time the back would sling left then the next whopp it would sling right. Then next whoop the rear would try and pogo you clear off. The Troy Lee is very predictable on how it handles, pretty much does the same thing everytime.

I'm sure it can be tweeked to run very fast and smooth. But I'm not willing to trade off my 05 Predator. I can tell you this if I still had my 400ex and test drove this Outlaw I would have bought it today. I think you will see the other quad companies have a IRS sport quad very soon, because it offers some very good features, but it's just not for my style of riding, YET.

calds650
02-14-2006, 06:19 AM
smokinwrench I have not found the sling rear end in the whoops like you talk about But I will look for it this weekend. If I start to get out of shape I just stand up lean back and give it more gas and my Outlaw straightens out. I have found I can ride longer on the Outlaw than i can on the Predator better seat on the Outlaw but if you are standing all the time who needs a seat :D an OF like me who likes comfort

ugottabayou
02-14-2006, 10:05 AM
I don't know much about the Outlaw, but I can see somebody who lives in the mountains owning one... If somebody rides rough, rocky terrain, but wants the performance of a sport quad, I can see how this quad would be perfect for them.

smokinwrench
02-14-2006, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by calds650
smokinwrench I have not found the sling rear end in the whoops like you talk about But I will look for it this weekend. If I start to get out of shape I just stand up lean back and give it more gas and my Outlaw straightens out. I have found I can ride longer on the Outlaw than i can on the Predator better seat on the Outlaw but if you are standing all the time who needs a seat :D an OF like me who likes comfort

I understand exactly what your saying. I'm sure I would get more comfortable on the Outlaw the longer I rode it also. I done the normal pull back and gas it trick to straighten it out and it didnt have near the umph the Troy lee does to get the front end up and get the ***** back in line. I know it did soak up a few washouts veery well.

Right now the Outlaw is not for me and my style of riding. Give me another 10 years and I'm sure me and my buddy will both be on one.:D At that point I would say we will be in the OF Club and be trying to keep up with our kids.

calds650
02-15-2006, 06:35 AM
smokinwrench is the TLD stock? I have added the Edelbrock carb to my Outlaw still playing with that set up but it has help. I am going to try a smaller front gear this weekend. I am looking forward too the end of the month when the new WB Pure Polaris exhaust should be out it adds 4 more HP. The IRS did save my butt one time in the dune I went off side ways on a turn (dune ended no turn in it ouch) on a small 5 ft dune. I landed on my left rear tire only and saved it not sure I could have done it on my Predator or DS. The worst thing about the Outlaw now is I can not add any bling-bling yet none out yet.

smokinwrench
02-15-2006, 05:50 PM
The TLD has slip on WB and Hot Seat Intake

sunshine
02-16-2006, 08:23 AM
Put a WB exhaust and their new intake and you'll be lookin at the same as your TLD. Its hard to compare apples to oranges.

Sleeper
02-16-2006, 12:00 PM
seems to me that a aftermarket adjustable sway bar should be one of the first things they make for this thing. From looking at the stock outlaw it does not look adjustable. Even just a very heavy sway bar that allowed little flex would be nice to try.
That way you could get a more solid axle feel and have that ground clearance too.

Sleeper

TYLER329
02-16-2006, 07:00 PM
I just got my Outlaw yesterday and the thing rocks! I have had 3 Predators in the last 2 years for harescrambles and this thing feels like a caddy compared to them. Not everybody will agree and that is cool with me but as far as cross country stuff I think that you would be hard pressed to get that soft of a ride out of a solid axle quad. As far as power goes it feels a little under powered but I expected that since It doesn't have a thing done to it yet. I have not been this excited about a quad in a long time. Can't wait to race it in about 1 1/2 months!

calds650
02-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Welcome to the soft side.:D

sunshine
02-17-2006, 10:00 AM
I've all ready mentioned to Polaris about the adjustable sway bar. They are working on something.

Sleeper
02-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by sunshine
I've all ready mentioned to Polaris about the adjustable sway bar. They are working on something.

Cool. seems like it would be a snap. Just put multiple points where the link attaches closer and further from the bar.

MentalState
03-03-2006, 05:49 PM
Good luck with it Sunshine.....Just picked up mine and hope to ride the hell out of it tomorrow...

1999cobra
03-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - What did you say you were smokin' in that wrench...???:eek2:

This guys got more whoops going on - I think he's sitting in front of his PS2, sucking on a crack pipe...