PDA

View Full Version : stock to race ready

yamaki00
02-13-2006, 06:30 PM
I have a stock 300ex. I want to rebuild the steering, suspension, and anything else i need to upgrade to make it ready to race on an mx track. Where should i start, what should i upgrade, and wahat are some good products to look at?

ZeroLogic
02-13-2006, 06:53 PM
First I would upgrade the exaust. Next the suspension. Then the motor work.

We need to know what kind of budget your on to recommend parts. If its an unlimted one I would recommend getting Curtis Sparks X-4 exaust, then I would get +3 a arms with Elka shocks and a extended axle (G force is the best for the price). After that I would bore the engine to 80 and get a 11:1 pistion port and polish web cam if your going to race in the 300cc and under class.

ZeroLogic
02-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Also forgot the K and N airfilter. Can't forget that!:macho

hardkoratvmxr
02-13-2006, 06:55 PM
suspension is where you should start and here is what I would get if i wanted the best.

a-arms= GDH LT +3s

front shocks= 400ex length elkas rebound and compression adjustable w/rezzies

Rear shock= 300ex elka rebound and compression w/ rezzie

LSR +2+4 axle

A swingarm is a good thing to have as the sotck ones do not hold up to well but a swingarm is not necesarrily needed right away.

To race on almost any track you need a killswitch such as, gunnar, prodesign, and so on and so forth. You will also need some nerf bars.

Afetr that you should probably get rims and tires I prefer razr mxs for tires and some hiper nonbeadlock front and hiper dual beadlock rears would be a good investment.

Then you should get some handle bars and a pipe and filter to really wake that thing up and the rest is really uop to your imagination.

JW450R1
02-13-2006, 06:59 PM
i would start with suspension first,then exhaust and jet kit,and cam,maybe even porting out the head.suspension is alway first for mx in my opinion

humblesquirel21
02-13-2006, 07:22 PM
id go with yosh elka maxxis ... suspension first if u want a steering stem lonestar all the way leager makes nice long travels from what i have read suspension first then egine i owuld personaly say to race u would have to have a pipe to race competivly also a set of nerfs to protect u ac is my peronal favorti but there are alot of other good ones tusks look sweet 11-1 comp piston would be good and a cam maybe port work

yamaki00
02-13-2006, 08:01 PM
as of right now my budget is pretty much unlimited. I've heard the elkas are really nice. When i start to buy these things like the a arms will they come with everything i need to install them? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and don't really have a problem with working on anything. I just don't have any experience doing anything to a quad.

I'm not too worried about the engine right now. once i can run the machine on a track at full speed and still be able to handle it then i'm gonna start to build the engine. Right now the stock shocks are so bad i can't really ride too fast at all. 99% percent of the race is being able to out handle your opponant. so once i can handle the machine and push the engine to its max all the time then i'll build it.

i've got electric start too is that a problem for racing or not

humblesquirel21
02-13-2006, 08:09 PM
theres the kit info for a arms
http://www.laegerracing.com/products_frameset.htm

heres for the shocks them selves as i understadn the 400ex stock lengh will fit the 300ex long travels http://www.motojoe.com/motojoe.htm

yamaki00
02-13-2006, 08:36 PM
so if i get longer a arms and the stock 400ex elkas will i need a longer steering stem or tie rods? or anything else or should it all just bolt up?

kbass24emtp
02-13-2006, 08:42 PM
Those prices are cheap. Thanks alot, my brother is looking for a-arms and shocks for his EX.

yamaki00
02-13-2006, 08:51 PM
so are lonestar products good? or just high priced

humblesquirel21
02-13-2006, 09:01 PM
dont quote me on the 400ex lenght being right if u call moto jo or elka or leagar they will knwo for fact

you dont have to change the steering stem when u get new a arms and the tie rods are included in most of the kits along with brake lines

lonstar makes great products the only reason i wouldnt recomend them for a arms is because they only make std travel not that leagars are bad because they arent i personaly think very highly of both brands

i have a lonestar steering stem i had to replace my stock one becase it had stretched the holes and wouldn't stay tight no mater what i did and after they stretched they started to move a bit and grind away at the cheap stock steel personaly i love the antivibe clamps and the security i get knowing i have that lsr in there but u dont have to change

i just ordered a lonestar barring carrier i really liek their product

yamaki00
02-13-2006, 09:40 PM
so if i was on a pretty tight budget and could only spend about $1500 could i even come close to the performance of some of the products everyone has mention.

humblesquirel21
02-14-2006, 03:51 AM
its possible yah u could get off set wheels to widen then exaust cam and high comp a widen axel tires number plates kill switch raptor (01) rear shock and some elka fronts for around that much

yamaki00
02-14-2006, 04:47 PM
right on. thanks for the input
I'm gonna look into everything and see what i can find

yamaki00
02-14-2006, 04:50 PM
one more thing
when you say (01) raptor rear shock
Is raptor the brand or are you talking about a shock off of the yamaha raptor?

humblesquirel21
02-14-2006, 05:28 PM
01 the year 2001 i belive is the only year that will fit

if u have any other questions feel free to pm or post here ill answer to the best of my knowledge and if i dont no ill tell u i dotn btw

yamaki00
02-14-2006, 06:41 PM
With the raptor would i get any more travel? how much could i get one for and where. thanks i appreciate the help humblesquirel21

drifterx
02-14-2006, 07:02 PM
You could get an 01 raptor shock on ebay for cheap. I've seen as little as 50 bucks, up to 200 for good ones. You might get a little more travel, but i don't know how much. I'd get a set of Burgard +3 a-arms, and a good axle. C&D sells Burgards for 450 bucks with standard finishes. The tusk g-force is the best bang for your buck on axles. You can get one on www.rockymountainatv.com for 200. Plus C&D also has good shocks too. Works triple rates w/o rezzy are about 350, w/ rezzy they are like 520 or so, which are good for being on a budget. If you have the money, go for elka all the way! The cheap ones are 500 w/o rezzy, but you can always add them later. I'd get all those, and a descent exhaust, plus nerfs and kill switch, and you'll be ready to roll! Good luck!

yamaki00
02-14-2006, 08:24 PM
does g force have a website. I wanna read upon that axle. does g-force make the axle for a 300ex or does the 400ex model fit it

drifterx
02-16-2006, 11:14 AM
The brand is Tusk, g- force is just the name for their suspension stuff. Far as i know they don't have a website, but they have info on rockymountain's website. I'm pretty sure they have a good warranty, maybe lifetime, and for 200 bucks, i don't think you could go wrong. And yes they make one for a 300ex.

yamaki00
02-17-2006, 09:07 AM
What size a-arms would i need to put 450r front shocks on to my 300ex?

humblesquirel21
02-18-2006, 10:56 AM
im not sure but i belive if u buy long travel a arms from leager or burgard u can use the stock 400ex link i believe