PDA

View Full Version : 400ex's made out to be a Slow bike

Ride400exj
07-15-2002, 02:47 PM
I dont understand why people make the 400ex to be a poor handeling and slow Quad. I keep hearing how raptors and ltz400's smoke 400'ex and thats B.S. because i smoke them on the track along with some drag races. First off Raptors are a drag bike thats it. Theres nothing that great about them just their power. Same thing with the banshee nothing too great about them. I just think raptors are over-rated along with the Ltz400. And i bet the Ltz400 is going to do the same thing the Lt500 and Lt250 did they are one of the worst bikes to buy if you dont have the money to buy and rebuild just about everything on it.

---------------------------------------------
2001 400ex

bermbanger400
07-16-2002, 07:40 PM
i agree 100% wait till the all mighty z's start throwing cahins and busting side covers then we will hear some crying :)

Pappy
07-16-2002, 08:27 PM
well lets see.....i have 3 friends with quads. 2 raptors and one z400. both raptors are broke down again...and the z is at the dealer after about 10 hours of use. and the only cannondale i have ever seen(i dont get out much) broke for the 3rd time. they are all nice quads....they just aint no honda!

Ride400exj
07-16-2002, 10:17 PM
Man i keep seen o raptors this, Ltz400 that. Whats so great there both a high dollor POS but there still a bike. I am not the one to be talking about other bikes i dont have..

FullBore52
07-16-2002, 10:22 PM
How many hours do you have on a raptor to know that its only a "drag bike"? I have smoked many stock ex's and mildly built EX's (piston, cam, carb, and pipe) around the MX track on a stock raptor. Maybe you need to learn to ride it and then make your judgements? Learn how to properly get into the corner on a banshee and then you will find out that it handles fine to the correct riding style.

Ride400exj
07-16-2002, 11:36 PM
I have been riding for 13 years and I did start this thread to be told that I suck at riding by some guy think he knows every thing I wanted to hear what other people though about the 400ex not how good of a rider you are and how bad I am. And I know how to ride a banshee along with a 400ex and you know there just not the same at all banshee is to heavy for starters and is all power nothing besides that face the facts. Yamaha is know for its fast 2 strokes and 4 stocks that’s it there not know for there handling. Honda has always had a great bike that’s all there is to it. Honda might not make the fastest bike but quality is worth it.

Pappy
07-16-2002, 11:39 PM
i agree....i like all bikes and quads...but some are a lil better than others in some cases. most of the time its the rider not the quad.

Ride400exj
07-16-2002, 11:48 PM
they say its 90% rider and 10% quad that the truth but i still there that people should cut down on the $hit talking about the 400's. I think its that they payed 1300 more then i did and they keep loseing and there pi$$ed witch i would be too

07-17-2002, 09:32 PM
Ok this is getting out of hand. I mean a 400Ex is called slow because stock for stock a raptor Beats it. I feel a 400Ex should be called fast. I mean a 400 vs 660. Of course the 660 is gonna win. There was nothering else with the same cc.s that could even touch the 400Ex. The Banshee could but it is also a 2 stroke. Now the z 400 is out adn the 400 smokes it. When mine was stock i draged so many z 400's They always take me on the start but i always catch up and pass. They do have power but a 400Ex is faster on the top end.

raptor_02
07-18-2002, 04:34 PM
From personal experience I can tell you that the average person can turn better lap times on a 400ex than a raptor. I have raced them both and I shave off about 2 seconds per lap on my ex when compared to times on my bro's raptor. They both had pretty much the same mods except my ex has works triple rate steelers with resevoirs. Not only can I go faster on the ex, I can last longer as well. After about 5 laps of wrestleing that raptor around the track I am dead tired. On my ex I don't get tired as fast simply because the way it handles. The raptor wheelies out of every turn or about tips over around every turn and that can make a rider fatique much faster. The raptor can be a pretty good mx machine if setup up correctly but if you want to turn your best lap times go with the honda!!!!!!!!

Nausty
07-18-2002, 06:45 PM
I don't care really its funny beating someone on a almost stock quad that is "much slower" because then they don't have a real excuses to make when they say my quad sucks:D lol really though I don't think you can beat the 400ex handling a the things are practically bullet proof and by no means "weak" if you wanna talk weak try hill climbing with a blaster I don't know how many times I had been on the very top of a hill to have it just STOP. I never complain about power now because I know a rider can make up for that in the corners and with skill.

Rip_Tear
07-18-2002, 07:34 PM
To beat anyone not riding a Honda all you have to do is challenge them to a distance run, or laps untill they cant lap no more. Everything will break down before the Honda does, and you will run on the same tank of gas, when they have gone through 2 or 1.5. I ride with a grizzly 660, a 400 Kodiak, and a Trail blazer, and I have never gone through a tank of gas, or even hit reserve before they are filling up, or breaking down.

07-18-2002, 11:46 PM
Man I have to say Hondas are bad *** a buddy of mine has one and he kills me with it. I have a banshee and it is faster then **** but suck's at everything else. It is a ***** to work on and when something brakes it costs a forthen to fix it. maybe I and riding the **** out of it to keep up with the 400's when they go through the woops

07-20-2002, 10:01 PM
400 ex's r not slow, my friend bought a raptor, and we race all the time and i beat him in every race, even in races where it is mostly straight,he jus cant keep up, and i hate riding banhsee's, sure they r nice, but wow r they heavy and they handle like ****,and they r poorly made, i will take my 400 before n e quad n e day, except of course, when honda decides 2 b sweet and come out with a new quad.

Nausty
07-20-2002, 11:03 PM
i love banshee's my cousin had one and they sure are a blast to ride although I always end up having to drive for a hour and half to ride at a track and I don't want to be tired in 2 hours over 5 hours instead and they arn't the best mx machines.

airheadedduner
07-21-2002, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Ride400exj
they say its 90% rider and 10% quad that the truth but i still there that people should cut down on the $hit talking about the 400's. I think its that they payed 1300 more then i did and they keep loseing and there pi$$ed witch i would be too

i'd call it more of a 95% rider 5% machine. it depends what a rider is more comfortable with.some one who is just getting into racing will probly be more comfortable goin fast on an ex. it is a confidence inspiring machine. it would be frustraiting for a beginner to learn on a banshee or an R. my buddies ddon't fell comfortable on my R so they ride it slow. to them they think it rides ruff and is harsh. to me it is perfect. its all in the setup.

speedshift
12-29-2006, 01:07 AM
I've had a 400ex and they aren't slow. my friend has an all stock 400ex and we were always dead even against the rappy until he hit 5th, while I hit 4th and started pulling and then hit 5th and ran away.

Keeping up that good has some credit to it!

I can't wait to see what my LTZ does against him

Blizzard24
12-29-2006, 06:57 AM
This topic is 4 years old... let it die lol

01-04-2007, 08:43 AM
I beat stock raptors in drags with piped 400ex b4 and the 400ex never felt slow to me but a piped 400ex compaired to a piped yfz or 450r their is a huge differance in power.

Ruby Soho
01-06-2007, 07:08 PM
people put down the 400ex because its so called "out-dated" but in reality its just as high performance as the rest (not including 450's and such)

i don't remember seeing the 400ex put down back in 03 when he z came out. but now the 400ex hasnt changed at all really because of that it sucks, to people that dont own them.

i personally think there more of an agressive quad than a z

exsweetie66
01-19-2007, 01:49 PM
i love my ex, its reliable and fast. it corners and jumps well. i like that you can ride them stock (which mine isn't), you can be very recreational with them, but still take them to whatever level you want (mx, sx etc;) and not spend a crap load AND they're still reliable. you could drag mine through hell and it'd still run. i love it, and not to mention it was cheap ;)...and shes sexy.