PDA

View Full Version : making a quad street legel?

pastfast125
02-13-2006, 05:23 PM
I was talking to a friend, and he said all you have to do is get DOT street legel tires..have brake lights and tailights, and turn signals..and you're quad can be street legel? Is this true? Will it work in all states? That'd be freakin sweet to be able to ride my quad everywhere.

440bigborekit
02-13-2006, 05:36 PM
that would be cool if it was true.........but its not

pastfast125
02-13-2006, 05:37 PM
hmm, that kinda sucks..I wonder why quads cant be street legel..but dual sport dirtbikes can??:confused: Just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe they think quads are too tippy or somethin?? I dunno.

01screamindemon
02-13-2006, 06:19 PM
You can if you live in a select number of states, you might try a search on here cuz there have been quite a few people with the same question. And even fewer that actually have a road legal quad. Here i saved you the trouble of searching, but im sure there are many other threads:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=210197

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157082&highlight=street+legal

Dr89
02-13-2006, 07:16 PM
I think in some places you can do all those things you said and then get farm tags for it and its street legal. i remeber seeing in...i believe dirtwheels, where a guy rigged up a spare swinger for his raptor that just had one tire attatched to it and he was able to make it street legal. some kinda loop hole within the laws of whats legal and what isnt. seems to expensive to be worth it to me. i would just rather rely on not getting caught! :blah:

pastfast125
02-13-2006, 07:30 PM
you say it's exspensive..but think about it, put like maybe 200 bucks into it, you'll save that much in gas in like a month or 2. PLus it would be fun...no cops around..:D BRAAAAAP...lol. I wonder what it is about them that they wont allow them to be street legal in some states? it seems dumb to me.

250xdude
02-13-2006, 07:49 PM
This guy got away with it in Kansas City for a while, here's the link to the story, really funny story how he toyed with the cops.

http://www.pitch.com/issues/2004-07-08/stline.html

Dr89
02-13-2006, 08:24 PM
yea i would save so much money on gas just driving to school and practice and stuff since we live in the middle of no where. but really a quad wouldnt be any more dangerous than a crotch rocket or a dual purpose bike. haha if only....

450 Racer R
02-13-2006, 09:00 PM
a quad is a whole lot more dangerous on the street than a street bike is. figure out a way to get rid of the solid axle in the rear and I'm sure you wouldn't have any problems with passing inspection.

Dr89
02-13-2006, 09:03 PM
why does the solid axle make it more dangerous?

pastfast125
02-13-2006, 10:06 PM
cuz it inhibits( right word?) your handling, such as you cant turn as quickly I guess, or if you do it has a tendancy to be tippy. I still think a quad would do fine though, I've riddin em on the road before, it handled fine..but yea it is a little harder to make sharp turns at higher speeds, probably because it's a solid axle. Fab up a second axle so that only one side of it spins, and the other side is just kind of like on a bearing so it just rolls with the flow. You would have to change that out and your wheels and tires anytime you wanted to go offroad though. I guess if you can fab everything up yourself it would be worth it, but if not, then your getting into some big bucks.

pastfast125
02-13-2006, 10:07 PM
should have clarified that a lil more..when you turn, the inside wheel spins slower than the outside wheel. so if you have a solid axle, both wheels spin at the same speed no matter what, so it makes it harder to do turns on the street. although I still think it would be fine.

quader400
02-13-2006, 10:17 PM
you would have to create a bearing for each rear hub... it could be done with a good design. not sure that would be really cool though

pastfast125
02-13-2006, 10:25 PM
each HUB?? wouldn't the bearings have to be on the inside of where the sprocket is? If ou had the bearings at each wheel hub, then the quad wouldn't go anywhere would it? I'm tired, maybe I'm just not thinkin right?

optikid123
02-14-2006, 05:32 AM
i would think keep it solid because it isnt wide and if you go around a sharp turn youl will slide if you lean, instead of flipping if you had lim slip or whatever, cause then the tires owuldnt slide so easy

Racing Rice
02-14-2006, 06:17 AM
I contacted the BMV about this for Ohio, and they pretty much shot me down with a vengance.

Definately check your state laws and/or contact your BMV for information.

GIXXERGUY6
03-08-2006, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Racing Rice
I contacted the BMV about this for Ohio, and they pretty much shot me down with a vengance.

Definately check your state laws and/or contact your BMV for information.

wut did they tell you?

01screamindemon
03-08-2006, 11:27 PM
Pretty sure IL is one of the most strict with laws pertaining to anything. I say all of us that want street legal quads get a petition together and see how many signatures we can get, and then make this street legal quad thing happen. Just a thought.:D

pastfast125
03-09-2006, 12:06 AM
yea, make one for Iowa too, so then I can ride from there, into illinois, and race you..and probably get beat:D

PS> story of the year sucks:D

01screamindemon
03-09-2006, 12:14 AM
HA Sounds like a plan to me. SOTY are my boys, they are nuts in concert, cant believe im gonna miss their show next week in the Lou. :(

pastfast125
03-09-2006, 12:16 AM
I'll stick with seein lynard skynard, or if dime bag wasn't dead, I'd be seein Pnatera..RIP:mad:

01screamindemon
03-09-2006, 12:19 AM
Very true. There are some crazy people in this world. RIP.