PDA

View Full Version : Street Rod Project

underpowered
02-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Car started life as a 1971 triumph spitfire. type of car the gecko drives on the gieco commercials. had a 4 cyl. 4 speed origionally. traded it out for a blown smallblock chevy mated to a TH350 tranny. i will get som eupdated pics later as it has the hood and tranny tunnel on it now. with the carb and aircleaner ontop of the blower, it is above the whinshield.

underpowered
02-13-2006, 05:01 PM
the motor

underpowered
02-13-2006, 05:02 PM
a little bling

underpowered
02-13-2006, 05:03 PM
the modified frame and the 27" drive shaft.

underpowered
02-13-2006, 05:06 PM
will eventually get flat black paint with outline lime green flames. teh stock rearend is not expected to last long, but will be replaced by a 9" ford.

coolex
02-13-2006, 05:06 PM
that looks like it is going to have so major hp's

underpowered
02-13-2006, 05:08 PM
motor was rated 295 horse from the factory. came out of an RV with 60k miles. nothing was done to it other than the supercharger, and a set of headers. it should be in the 400HP range, but in that small of a car it will be nuts.

trick450r
02-13-2006, 05:16 PM
is this your car?

vpofthedrc
02-13-2006, 05:33 PM
You may want to check the cam if it came out of an RV. Chances are, it will be all wrong. Can the bottom end take the abuse of the supercharger?

If ya want the right setup, you could always call my builder at Cropper Racing Engines. (Shameless plug)

Looks like it will be fun though. The last engine we painted lime green, we broke a rod in 8 laps.

DH400EX
02-13-2006, 05:38 PM
flame valve covers = niiiiiiice!!

kenwoodjeff
02-13-2006, 05:48 PM
Looks like your driveshaft is a little short. I might just be seein things though. Thats gonna be a sweet toy when finshed!! I always wanted to do a project like that! I saw somewhere online someone shoehorned a ford 5.0 into a Mazda Miata!! Talk about HP to weight ratio!!! The 5.0 is perfect because of the short stroke it has. REVS SUPER FAST!!

underpowered
02-13-2006, 06:14 PM
engine is set up perfect for the blower. 4 bolt mains, 8.5:1 comp ratio, fairly long duration cam. it was the perfect canidate. Not my car but the guy who owns it can build a motor, teh owner of the car owns Walton Universal Performance in walton, KY and can build pretty much anything from a car to a quad and make it work great.

the driveshact measure 27" long, it is about the length of the front shaft out of a 4X4 truck for comparison. right now it it IRS but will get a 4 link as soon as we blow this one, it wont be long. when he 4 links it, it will also get a mini tub so i might hook-up.

vpofthedrc
02-13-2006, 06:27 PM
I think the reason he said it looks short, is because there is alot of yoke showing.

Is the guy at Walton Universal Performance named Dwight?

kenwoodjeff
02-13-2006, 08:13 PM
^^^^^^^YUP it only looks like there is 3/4 of an inch of yoke stuck in that tranny, You need about 3/4 inch sticking out (play)

vpofthedrc
02-13-2006, 08:20 PM
I guess it's possible that he is using an extra long slip yoke. If not, that suckers gonna break. Especially if you switch to a 4 bar.

vpofthedrc
02-13-2006, 08:24 PM
I'm sitting here looking, and thinking. It's gonna be a blast to put a radiator in that thing.

underpowered
02-14-2006, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by vpofthedrc
I think the reason he said it looks short, is because there is alot of yoke showing.

Is the guy at Walton Universal Performance named Dwight?

His name is jon. Ad for the slip yoke, it is a custom one to get the u-joint father back on the frame. he had to make it like that because teh driveshaft would hit the crossmember in the frame with a shorter yoke. and moving the engine adn tranny back 3 inches was not an option, already shoehorned in there pretty good. it should be on the road in about a week or two. with the hood on you can see teh heads, valvcovers, intake, pretty much teh entire top of the engine.

for the radiator, we will be using the stock one for the 4-banger or one out of a FIAT. it will be behind the bumbper angled with an electric fan. the raiator will be installed from the bottom of the car.

Butters
02-14-2006, 10:07 AM
looks like a cool project, but i would definately paint that motor black. i wouldn't even bother with the flames. personally i would have put that motor in a cooler car, but it will have weight to its advantage.

02-14-2006, 10:23 AM
holy,!!!... do they make drag slicks for that little car:p ha.

I bet that thing will go pretty good. seeins how I thot my mustang went good, and it was barley pushing 230 hp.

underpowered
02-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Butters
looks like a cool project, but i would definately paint that motor black. i wouldn't even bother with the flames. personally i would have put that motor in a cooler car, but it will have weight to its advantage.

he did it because it was different and cheap. If you go to Cardomain there are some spitfires on there but the ones with a smallblock conversion all have a manual trans and are NA motors. this will be the first Blown one with an auto. overall he will have less than $1000 in the car for everything. teh most expensive part was the blower carb. The car was given to him, and he had the motor and parts lying around the shop. he was going for Cool and different, not practical.