PDA

View Full Version : Why is my 400ex acting like it wants to shut off?

braponmy400ex
02-13-2006, 11:36 AM
my 400ex is acttin like its gettin ready to foil a plug. kinda like a 2 stroke. my buddy told me that the oil my be a problem. IF N E ONE KNOWN WATS WRONG EMAIL ME. wdverdegem@yahoo.com

400exrider0004
02-13-2006, 11:43 AM
i no this sounds probably like i think your stupid or something but mine does the same thing when i dont have the fuel on. I know for me i always miss the obvious so thats why im telling you that. Also I dont think it would be the oil. Mine runs really rough when cold, like before i warm it up. so that also might be it, you might just need to warm it up more. Does it do it while your riding?

weekendracer91
02-13-2006, 12:50 PM
mine does that to for some weird reason when my gas is shut off
2!

adjust the valves

hondaboy400ex55
02-13-2006, 04:53 PM
is ur choke on :devil:

braponmy400ex
02-13-2006, 05:34 PM
My gas in on but i started thinking today my friend told me that like when your quad gets maybe a 1/4 tank left u need to but it on res so that might be the problem and my choke is off and it does that after a hour or two or riding but its mint and fast. super fast.

2003 416ex

ct racing pipe
Tag bars
Neaf bars
plus 2 inch plus 1 inch a arms
razr mx tires
uni air filter
hot cams stage 1 and 2 in it
416 kit
Robs Racing Engine work
and a high compression Pistion.
K and K graphics kit
front bumper
Race plastic
and MORE.

400exrider0004
02-13-2006, 08:02 PM
yah put gas in it...another person said that when they hit the gas the motor turns off....that is from either not warmed up or to much gas. i think changing pilot would help that.

QuadJunkies
02-14-2006, 12:55 AM
more info is needed before I can answer that one :ermm:

NCexRider
02-14-2006, 06:39 AM
You say it happens after an hour or two of riding, you may be overheating.

dirtriderhoney
02-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Like the others said in the forum it could be a number of things. I always start with the most simple ****, which you probably already know, but just to reiterate. And I could be wrong so don't quote me.

-****ty Plug
-Gas is off
-Low gas level
-Choke is on
-Choke could be stuck on even though you have it in off position (May need tech work for that one)
-Idol may need readjusting
-Overheating
-Carborator needs to be cleaned

Christine

:D

northwest Texas
02-14-2006, 07:39 PM
One time I went riding and my b-i-l filled up my quad for me. I didn't realize it until we loaded up to go home that my vent hose had a kink in it preventing air from entering the gas tank fast enough until full throttle. That explained the intermittent hesitation after I had been hard on the throttle for a while.

Check your vent hose and make sure it's breathing. It could be as simple as that.

Check and make sure the petcock is flowing enough fuel to the carb.

Is there an inline filter you or the previous owner has added? Maybe it's restricting flow.

400EXride
02-15-2006, 02:16 PM
braponmy400ex is totally right. My quad does the same thing when you get a 1/4 or so low in the tank. One day I had a hekc of a time starting the thing. I checked the tank and saw that it was low but there was still a good bit. The tank was far from empty. I went ahead switched to res just to check and it fired right up.

Once I topped off the tank and then started in res followed by switching to on, I no longer had the problem. The bike started from the on position. Can't confirm but I am thinking that maybe air gets in the line causing some sort of vacum problem when the tank gets low. Anyway, once you top off the tank and run it a bit, all is well..........

dirtriderhoney
02-15-2006, 08:11 PM
400EXride, I def agree with you on the vaccum theory when the fuel is low. My bike does the same thing sometimes. When the fuel is low and when its been sitting for a while I have to put it on reserve to start it, cause gas on won't work.

braponmy400ex
02-16-2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks for all the help ppl. i reali needed that thank u. i dont have much time with 4 wheelers. i raced MX on Dirt bikes for the longest time but now i moved to NH and the snow amount we get up here theres no point in having a dirt bike u can only ride half the year. U KNOW. and i stud my tires and when the lakes r frozen i rip across them flyin best place to ride if u want to go fast and fast quick. I raced a polaris SP 440 acrossed it and smoked it!!!! so if u want to race me come to Rindge NH and race me.

muddy400EX
02-16-2006, 02:16 PM
isnt the bottom 1/4 of tank supposed to be the reserve?:(