PDA

View Full Version : Question about my suspension setup

moto440ex
02-13-2006, 10:57 AM
I just ordered some Gibson a-arms with Elka quadrate piggyback compression adjustable shocks. I will be racing a few nationals this year, and Im just wondering if that will be a good combo or should I have gone with the Custom axis shocks instead. I just heard that axis customer service isnt that great, and i know Elka's service is good. If anyone has experience with both of these shocks, your help will be appreciated.

02-13-2006, 11:22 AM
you made the right choice, dont worry

czrider263
02-13-2006, 11:52 AM
i run gibson lt a arms and elka quad rates, they run really well. If u really want to see the elkas perform get some aftermarket oil put in!

moto440ex
02-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Alright well I always hear alot of people on here sayin how Axis is the best and crap like that. Thanks

02-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by moto440ex
Alright well I always hear alot of people on here sayin how Axis is the best and crap like that. Thanks

dont listen to them, elka uses better components then axis, along with doing a ton more R&D, you chose the right shocks, dont worry about it

quaddy87
02-15-2006, 10:11 PM
Not one complaint with my elka's!

moto440ex
02-16-2006, 07:35 AM
Yea thanks for yalls opinions on that, that reassures me that i made the right choice. Have any of yall seen or riden on the new elka elite track system shocks yet?

bradley300
02-16-2006, 08:48 AM
neither do as well as they can, send them to a aftermarket shock builder like gthunder to see how nice they really are

GOTFEAR
02-20-2006, 10:24 PM
Custom axis wont faid and you dont wont faid at a atva race but it dont mater what we say its what you like

02-21-2006, 12:48 AM
fade?

moto440ex
02-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by GOTFEAR
Custom axis wont faid and you dont wont faid at a atva race but it dont mater what we say its what you like
What do you mean by "faid"?

steve26
02-21-2006, 11:58 AM
fade- the shocks will heat up due to riding for a prolonged period of time (not that likely in an amatuer moto) and performance of the shocks will be drastically reduced... more bottoming, more body roll in corners, etc..

Elka does not have the best valving to suit everyone, many Elka buyers get their shocks revalved when they buy them to fit their needs. PEP offers shocks basically set up perfect for you when you order them(but theere is usually a long wait). Axis is a little better with valving, but I think their valving is way too slow... which will cause a not so plush ride through rough sections. (maybe just my opinion??)

back on subject... you made a pretty good choice. Gibson makes a great front end and unless you are a real fast expert or Pro-Am rider then you will be fine with whatever Elka sends you.

fandl450r
02-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Yurik Norton
dont listen to them, elka uses better components then axis, along with doing a ton more R&D, you chose the right shocks, dont worry about it

Somehow I highly doubt that. Then why, during the middle of a race season was Gust and Jones Elka's using AXIS internals? :rolleyes: Now I am not in any way saying that Elka is a bad shock company, they have some of the best customer service out there. But to say that they have better components than Axis, well thats just crazy talk.

UbeenSmoked
02-21-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by fandl450r
Somehow I highly doubt that. Then why, during the middle of a race season was Gust and Jones Elka's using AXIS internals? :rolleyes: Now I am not in any way saying that Elka is a bad shock company, they have some of the best customer service out there. But to say that they have better components than Axis, well thats just crazy talk.

ill have to agree with u 100%, Elka is not a bad company, not to make anyone mad, but it seems Yurik Norton you say things to see your self talk, yurik how much time have u spent on any other aftermarket shocks other than elka? Personally i think Elka are pretty stiff shocks, and no way near as soft and smooth as some of the axis ive riddin on, but like its was said if ur not a pro, or a pro am rider then ur setup would be just fine

Sorry had to vent some...

moto440ex
02-21-2006, 02:00 PM
Yea I figured he meant "fade" but wasnt sure. But yeah I'm only gonna be racing in the B class this year, So im sure the elkas will be ok. But here is a few pictures of the A-arms, Steering stem and handlebars. I am no where near finished, just have everything on ready to be adjusted for when i get my shocks in, which are supposed to get here tomorrow. I still have to put the brakelines on too. I love the color on the a-arms! Tell me what yall think of it so far.... my front bumper is a little bent, and yea I need a real Atv stand lol, but for right now, what its resting on will do.

http://i1.tinypic.com/o91o5j.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/o91rbr.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/o91t1g.jpg

02-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by UbeenSmoked
ill have to agree with u 100%, Elka is not a bad company, not to make anyone mad, but it seems Yurik Norton you say things to see your self talk, yurik how much time have u spent on any other aftermarket shocks other than elka? Personally i think Elka are pretty stiff shocks, and no way near as soft and smooth as some of the axis ive riddin on, but like its was said if ur not a pro, or a pro am rider then ur setup would be just fine

Sorry had to vent some...

ive actually rode on every shock besides works, i had a small amount of time on ohlins, the rest i have rode, i dont talk to see myself talk, i talk to help other people out, i have done extensive research on what to run and what not to run, as well as what is best and what is not, i prefer elka, and have done my research, but if axis was so good as you talk them up to be, then y would ballance, borich, cecco, natalie, and most of the other pros change out internals, i will tell you this much, every rider prefers something different, whatever they have to do to get the setup they want is what they will do, if it involves switching internal parts, then they will, etc etc

UbeenSmoked
02-22-2006, 09:56 AM
ive actually rode on every shock besides works, i had a small amount of time on ohlins, the rest i have rode, i dont talk to see myself talk, i talk to help other people out, i have done extensive research on what to run and what not to run, as well as what is best and what is not, i prefer elka, and have done my research, but if axis was so good as you talk them up to be, then y would ballance, borich, cecco, natalie, and most of the other pros change out internals, i will tell you this much, every rider prefers something different, whatever they have to do to get the setup they want is what they will do, if it involves switching internal parts, then they will, etc etc

Ok, but do u see or hear about Ballance,borich, natalie, etc. switching the internals out of their shocks and put Elka internals in them, i bet not, i can guarantee that Natalie is not running Elka guts in his shocks, so u better do some more research on them if ur trying to tell people that elka are a much better shock then Axis, that's like u trying to compare a late model car to the new model cars, no comparison, but everyone is entiled to their own opinion and if thats wut u want to believe then believe it.

02-22-2006, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by UbeenSmoked
Ok, but do u see or hear about Ballance,borich, natalie, etc. switching the internals out of their shocks and put Elka internals in them, i bet not, i can guarantee that Natalie is not running Elka guts in his shocks, so u better do some more research on them if ur trying to tell people that elka are a much better shock then Axis, that's like u trying to compare a late model car to the new model cars, no comparison, but everyone is entiled to their own opinion and if thats wut u want to believe then believe it.

i doubt anyone runs the internals you think they do, its 50/50 on what people think is better, im with elka, as the pros go, im sure most of them run no where near to what you think, and possibly do run elka internals, how would anyone know, you havent took their shocks apart

fandl450r
02-22-2006, 12:40 PM
i doubt anyone runs the internals you think they do, its 50/50 on what people think is better, im with elka, as the pros go, im sure most of them run no where near to what you think, and possibly do run elka internals, how would anyone know, you havent took their shocks apart

Well most shock companies internals are of much better quality than Elka. Besides Gust/Jones running Axis internals in there elka's I would highly doubt anyone else would be doing exactly that. Fact is PEP/Axis are just a much higher quality shock, you pay for it in the long run, but you get what you pay for.

The might have speciall valving, bodies etc. that the avg joe isn't going to be able to afford/get, but I doubt they are going to be from another shock manufacturer.

I have heard nothing but problems from Elkas out of the box, maybe after you send them to someone like Noleen, etc. they might be a little bit better. But if you're paying that much for a shock, why in god's name should you have to send it somewhere to correct it?

02-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Well most shock companies internals are of much better quality than Elka. Besides Gust/Jones running Axis internals in there elka's I would highly doubt anyone else would be doing exactly that. Fact is PEP/Axis are just a much higher quality shock, you pay for it in the long run, but you get what you pay for.

The might have speciall valving, bodies etc. that the avg joe isn't going to be able to afford/get, but I doubt they are going to be from another shock manufacturer.

I have heard nothing but problems from Elkas out of the box, maybe after you send them to someone like Noleen, etc. they might be a little bit better. But if you're paying that much for a shock, why in god's name should you have to send it somewhere to correct it?

they were fine for me, but im not going to fight you, you think what you wish to think and listen to whos info you want to listen to, end of story

hondardr4life
02-22-2006, 06:37 PM

I agree 100% with you. Elka's are a good shock, but the quality of PEP's and Axis are just better. You get what you pay for. Now, if I bought my quad and it had Elka's on it, I wouldn't really complain, I'd just have Noleen revalve them. IMO, shocks from worst to best go

Works

Elka/ TCS/ Ohlins

PEP, Custom Axis

I hear that Ohlins is supposed to be stepping it up, so we will see what happens with that. I'm not bashign Elka at all, I think they are a good shock, I just think that Axis, and PEP put out a better product.

02-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
Works

Elka/ TCS/ Ohlins

PEP, Custom Axis

I hear that Ohlins is supposed to be stepping it up, so we will see what happens with that. I'm not bashign Elka at all, I think they are a good shock, I just think that Axis, and PEP put out a better product.

actually i was the one who said they were stepping it up, but obviously no one listens to me around here...lol :huh

elka is a great shock and i would put them on the same level as pep/axis because all 3 are the elite, now that ohlins is stepping into the mix it will be nice to see who comes out ahead, but i can promise you, it wont be pep or axis, elka/ohlins will be the top very soon, then it will be a war from there, elka is willing and ready for the R&D work, as is ohlins, but the level elka is at right now, im not sure ohlins will be able to match, just wait and see what you find in the next year or so, ull be suprised ;)

fandl450r
02-22-2006, 08:17 PM
actually i was the one who said they were stepping it up, but obviously no one listens to me around here...lol :huh

elka is a great shock and i would put them on the same level as pep/axis because all 3 are the elite, now that ohlins is stepping into the mix it will be nice to see who comes out ahead, but i can promise you, it wont be pep or axis, elka/ohlins will be the top very soon, then it will be a war from there, elka is willing and ready for the R&D work, as is ohlins, but the level elka is at right now, im not sure ohlins will be able to match, just wait and see what you find in the next year or so, ull be suprised ;)

Guess I'll be waiting for a long long time then. :rolleyes: I highly doubt Elka will ever be at the top of the food chain when it comes to shock manufacturing. What war? As far as shock building is concerned Elka isn't even in the runnings. As I've said before they build a mediocre shock, something FAR from elite. About the only thing they have going for them is the customer service aspect of it, and I'll give them that, they kick Axis/PEP butt's when it comes to customer service, and I know because I've dealt with them all.

When it comes down to it sure its rider preference but don't sit here and say "it won't be axis or pep...elka will be on top soon" because as I'm sure most will agree, it's just Elka's big advertising budget talking.

02-22-2006, 08:45 PM
When it comes down to it sure its rider preference but don't sit here and say "it won't be axis or pep...elka will be on top soon" because as I'm sure most will agree, it's just Elka's big advertising budget talking.

i dont work for elka? and who said soon, according to me they are on the top right now, but some of you dont think that, and soon you will see, im not going to sit here and have a battle with you about whats what and y something is better then something else, because i am obviously not going to change your mind, i just hope that i can steer the few riders who read this thread in the right direction, but soon the R&D elka does will pay off and everyone will see it, including those of you who support axis/pep, elka wouldnt sell so many shocks, or get as many compliments as they do if they werent selling quality products

moto440ex
02-22-2006, 08:50 PM
Well I just got my elka shocks in today. I put everything on, just have to adjust everything now. Heres a couple of pics i got today, nothin is aligned right, i still have to do somethin with numbers and plates, and i havent put the brakelines on yet, but just to show yall wut it looks like. I know elka isnt the best out there, but im sure it will be ok for me. This will be my first year racing nationals. I race pro locally, but i'll be racing B class in the nationals. But i think at the end of season, I wanna sell the elkas and get some PEP's or maybe axis, depends. Well let me know what yall think.

http://i1.tinypic.com/of3pev.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/of3sbb.jpg

UbeenSmoked
02-22-2006, 09:46 PM
i dont work for elka? and who said soon, according to me they are on the top right now, but some of you dont think that, and soon you will see, im not going to sit here and have a battle with you about whats what and y something is better then something else, because i am obviously not going to change your mind, i just hope that i can steer the few riders who read this thread in the right direction, but soon the R&D elka does will pay off and everyone will see it, including those of you who support axis/pep, elka wouldnt sell so many shocks, or get as many compliments as they do if they werent selling quality products

None one said u worked for elka, what ur trying to say is Elka is better than Axis, PEP,. they have along ways to go in R&d to get were Axis and PEP are now and when Elka moves up so will everyone, so it will take along time for elka to be on the level were axis and PEP are. you said u rode all shocks besides works, you have to ride the shocks longer than a couple of mins. to get them to work like they are supposed to work, u cant go out and poke along and think that they are just as good as elks, u really have to work the shocks to get them to work, thats were i think ur having a mistake on ur judgement.

And as far as sells are involved, of course elka may have an edge on other company, but thats is because of their prices, ya they are a little cheaper and have more of a selection so people who are on a budget or are just wanting a better shocks then stock will buy them and not have to spend as much

hondardr4life
02-23-2006, 04:37 AM
I hope that elka does step it up. The more great shocks out there, the better. But don't think that PEP will just sit back and watch elka take over. I was just checking out a set of the new PEP true piggyback's. They are an impressive shock. :eek2:

TBD
02-23-2006, 07:47 AM
You two are arguing which is better and I bet neither one of you actually knows what it actually takes to make a quality shock. Things like piston flow. How about the materials they use so they have the same expansion rates. I am in the suspension field and do have a decent understanding of what it actually takes to have a decent shock. Since you guys know so much about who has the best shocks then list the technical data that you have taken to get to these statements. The way you guys are talking is like you have went out and have done hours of testing so lets see the data. It's all an opinion so why don't you leave it at that.

In my knowledgeable opinion Elkas are not the top shock. They have issues with there seal heads and the flow rate of there piston isn't that good.

I'm curious just what exprience the two of you have. Have either of you even tore a shock apart?

dangle
02-23-2006, 08:00 AM
Well I just got my elka shocks in today. I put everything on, just have to adjust everything now. Heres a couple of pics i got today, nothin is aligned right, i still have to do somethin with numbers and plates, and i havent put the brakelines on yet, but just to show yall wut it looks like. I know elka isnt the best out there, but im sure it will be ok for me. This will be my first year racing nationals. I race pro locally, but i'll be racing B class in the nationals. But i think at the end of season, I wanna sell the elkas and get some PEP's or maybe axis, depends. Well let me know what yall think.

http://i1.tinypic.com/of3pev.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/of3sbb.jpg

Well back on subject.... Your bike is coming along nicely man... I'm picturing a quad-tech hood and some blue hypers :blah: .... You gonna get an aftermarket swinger?

Mike

Chino886
02-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by TBD
You two are arguing which is better and I bet neither one of you actually knows what it actually takes to make a quality shock. Things like piston flow. How about the materials they use so they have the same expansion rates. I am in the suspension field and do have a decent understanding of what it actually takes to have a decent shock. Since you guys know so much about who has the best shocks then list the technical data that you have taken to get to these statements. The way you guys are talking is like you have went out and have done hours of testing so lets see the data. It's all an opinion so why don't you leave it at that.

In my knowledgeable opinion Elkas are not the top shock. They have issues with there seal heads and the flow rate of there piston isn't that good.

I'm curious just what exprience the two of you have. Have either of you even tore a shock apart?

I was wondering how long before you would intervene in this aregument. :devil:

moto440ex
02-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Thanks man. Yeah the quad tech hood is the next thing I want to do, but im not sure if I want the new hood they just came out with, or last years. I'm leanin more towards the one they already have. I will probably get an aftermarket swingarm, but not anytime soon. Don't really have the money. I was thinking about getting the JB racing swingarm and linkage. For right now, I just wanna send my shock to GT thunder and get the Gt thunder linkage, because It is alot cheaper, and I've heard that setup is really good. I need a front bumper too!

02-23-2006, 10:18 AM
oh yah...http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p2135320316b67852ce588cc598f5cc04/f01a5988.jpg

moto440ex
02-23-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
oh yah...http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p2135320316b67852ce588cc598f5cc04/f01a5988.jpg

How do you like the rear shock and linkage?

02-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by TBD

I have

02-23-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by TBD

if elka isnt top, then who is in your opinion?

Hondacrf15
02-23-2006, 12:24 PM
Yurik

Dude,

You need to work for Elka. You are by far there best spokes person!

Enough of the Eka this and Elka that. It's a dead horse for you, we all know where you stand. It's all cool.....right?

dangle
02-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Thanks man. Yeah the quad tech hood is the next thing I want to do, but im not sure if I want the new hood they just came out with, or last years. I'm leanin more towards the one they already have. I will probably get an aftermarket swingarm, but not anytime soon. Don't really have the money. I was thinking about getting the JB racing swingarm and linkage. For right now, I just wanna send my shock to GT thunder and get the Gt thunder linkage, because It is alot cheaper, and I've heard that setup is really good. I need a front bumper too!

Go with the 06 hood... JB's stuff is extremely high quality..... That's what motor mounts I have on my ride... also my buddy has a full JB bike(450r) and runs the nats. without a lick of trouble...

Mike

TBD
02-23-2006, 12:51 PM
if elka isnt top, then who is in your opinion?
Before I explain what shocks I feel are nice I would still like to hear what it is about the Elka shock that makes you think it's the best. I don't need to hear the normal responses like, look at the pro's that run them or the machined appearance of the shock is killer. Since you have said that you know how to rebuild a shock that means you have seen the inside components so is that what you're basing it on. I'm not trying to be a jerk about this but the way you were posting how great they are I would like to see what you base that on besides appearance and pro's that run it. One more thing, I don't care about the customer service aspect either or the fact that they appear to do a lot of R&D. A lot of the shock companies do that. I want technical info from you why they are the best.
Like I said, I'm not trying to argue with you or to make you look like you don't know what you're talking about. They very well might be the best shocks that you have ridden. I know that is not my exprience with them.
Qoute: The best you know is the best that you have ridden.

fandl450r
02-23-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by TBD
Before I explain what shocks I feel are nice I would still like to hear what it is about the Elka shock that makes you think it's the best. I don't need to hear the normal responses like, look at the pro's that run them or the machined appearance of the shock is killer. Since you have said that you know how to rebuild a shock that means you have seen the inside components so is that what you're basing it on. I'm not trying to be a jerk about this but the way you were posting how great they are I would like to see what you base that on besides appearance and pro's that run it. One more thing, I don't care about the customer service aspect either or the fact that they appear to do a lot of R&D. A lot of the shock companies do that. I want technical info from you why they are the best.

Well said. I myself couldn't tell ya, and I'll be the first one to admit it.

02-23-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Hondacrf15
Yurik

Dude,

You need to work for Elka. You are by far there best spokes person!

Enough of the Eka this and Elka that. It's a dead horse for you, we all know where you stand. It's all cool.....right?

haha, ya its all good, i jus wanted to voice my thoughts on the subject, help some people out, you know how it is

02-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by TBD
Like I said, I'm not trying to argue with you or to make you look like you don't know what you're talking about. They very well might be the best shocks that you have ridden. I know that is not my exprience with them.
Qoute: The best you know is the best that you have ridden.

i understand that, and customer service or the amount of pros that run them dont make them the better shock, as for the R&D work, elka has much more of that, which is y they developed things like the Track system, their own linkage, high/low speed dampening, and things of this sort

i also agree, the best you know is the best you have ridden, because a lot of people say what they ride is the best, but have only used that shock and not the other brands

it really all depends on the setup you recieve, as it is with any shock, but based on my experiences with the elka shock i feel they are the best of the shocks, that is my opinion on them, im going to opt out of this thread, just like Hondacrf15 said, its a dead horse, and no one will get anywhere but into an argument, so im going to leave it at the words that were said, and we can all live another day

02-23-2006, 02:56 PM

Laz does a great job, you will be very happy with that setup, as for the front bumper, look into the AC Stadium or the AC Blackline, those two would look really good on your quad:macho

moto440ex
02-23-2006, 03:04 PM
Yeah I've always run AC bumpers. I'm gonna either go with one of those or the blingstar iron cross.

TBD
02-23-2006, 03:10 PM
i understand that, and customer service or the amount of pros that run them dont make them the better shock, as for the R&D work, elka has much more of that, which is y they developed things like the Track system, their own linkage, high/low speed dampening, and things of this sort

i also agree, the best you know is the best you have ridden, because a lot of people say what they ride is the best, but have only used that shock and not the other brands

it really all depends on the setup you recieve, as it is with any shock, but based on my experiences with the elka shock i feel they are the best of the shocks, that is my opinion on them, im going to opt out of this thread, just like Hondacrf15 said, its a dead horse, and no one will get anywhere but into an argument, so im going to leave it at the words that were said, and we can all live another day
That sounds good. I very much like the way you put it that time.
I would like to point out a couple of things that I noticed in this post. Hi-Lo speed adjustability was around way before Elka and the Track system is just a bandaid.

hondardr4life
02-23-2006, 05:08 PM
I agree. It is a dead horse.

That is a sick front end setup man. I have always liked gullwing a arms. A quadtech hood will make it look sick.