PDA

View Full Version : Using a Banshee for mx racing

tbyrd15
02-13-2006, 10:30 AM
I am want to get into MX racing. I have a 250R and a Banshee. I here that the R is better for this type of racing, but it would take a lot more money to get it ready to race than it would my Banshee. Would it be worth it to invest some money in my Banshee and race it, instead of putting alot of money into the R. Because if I went with the R then it would more than likely be another year or two before I could get it ready to race (money is real tight).
The mods that I have on my Banshee now are- stock bore with wiseco pistons, toomey airbox eliminator, full skid, pro circuit pipe and silencers, nerf bars, polished front bumper and grill, shock covers, Douglas wheels all around, tether swich, frame, a-arms, and swingarm has been sanded and painted yellow, white plastic, ceet graphic kit and seat cover, what more would I need, besides supension (I plan on starting out with my stock set-up-for now). Thanks for any help.

enquadrider16
02-13-2006, 02:13 PM
all i'd say is suspension. i know that stock banshee suspension isn't that great. other than that it sounds like u have what u need.

tbyrd15
02-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Sorry about the list of other stuff I listed, it was something that I already had saved and just copied and pasted it. The R is an 86. It has a pipe, larger carb, k&n, .40 over, reeds, It has better mods for mx racing, but I think it needs all bearings replaced, the stock shocks are pretty much shot, the frame is in rough shape(I mean the paint (its 20 years old)), but no cracks. My biggest concern is the left case, where the case saver bolts up, the bolt holes are broken (like many), but it does not leak. I love my R and would like to race it, but I also just have the banshee setting around.
After rethinking what I have asked, I now relize that the R is the way to go (what was I thinking), I just some how got it in my head that is would be cheaper to get the banshee racing ready then it would the R, even though the R would be the wiser choice. Money is my biggest problem right now (poor college student). So now what do you all think, would the R be the wat to go, if so what mods should I focus on getting it. Or should I try to go the banshee route. I just want to RACE!

enquadrider16
02-13-2006, 04:00 PM
if ur shocks are shot then thats a new set up ne ways. but it sounds like ur gonna have to get nerf bars and a kill switch if u wanna race the r. both will work, just sounds like the banshee is set up more already.

clutt225
02-13-2006, 04:22 PM
I know you like your banshee and hell I would love to have a banshee to go with my 450r. If you were to sell the banshee that would free up enough $$ to get the r in great race shape or sell the r and get suspension or the shee. I think the shee would be awsome but all I have read says you have to be one bad mamajama to hold on to even a full long travel mx shee.

tbyrd15
02-13-2006, 10:38 PM
what about the case, will this cause any problems for me?

Mxjunkie
02-14-2006, 09:10 PM
If you want to you can, hell I did mx with stock shocks and aarms lol

brian250racer
02-16-2006, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by tbyrd15
what about the case, will this cause any problems for me?

Only if the chain comes of again!! Ride the banshee stock to get used to racing. If you can make a Banshee go fast on an MX track, you can go fast on anything.....

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-10/865257/sponsor5.jpg

tbyrd15
02-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Thanks for all the info.

willow2679
02-17-2006, 01:10 PM
Ride the banshee as it is and save the money to repair the old bearings, and put new suspension on the R then make the switch to it
And then start saving money to buy new shocks for the shee because when your done with the r you would have the shees shocks blown for racing on tracks

tbyrd15
02-20-2006, 09:40 AM
thanks

#1atpikespeak
02-20-2006, 01:28 PM
put the banshee motor inthe 250r that is what I did. I call my bike the honshee half 250r chassis with a banshee motor. It is a conversion I pulled off in my garage with a welder some steel and a cut off wheel. That is as long as you stick to a single carb and single pipe setup.

#1atpikespeak
02-20-2006, 02:51 PM
picture of honshee #12 doing wheelie of the line.

trx275r
02-25-2006, 05:51 PM
the 2003 or 2004 british champion won on a yamaha banshee. it was pretty sweet, laegers Long travel a-arms and Custom Axis shocks. Duncan PT pipes and i think it had CT racing engine work. it was a pretty sweet banshee though