PDA

View Full Version : Scott's stabilizer

duke416ex
02-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Anyone running one and how do you like them?

02-13-2006, 11:06 AM
for the money you can get a precision and it be way better then the scott dampener, it was built for a dirtbike where the precision is for a 4 wheeler

:) :( :o :p ;) :D :cool: :rolleyes: :eek2: :devil: :confused: :eek: :grr: :blah: :huh :scary: :macho :mad: :ermm: :chinese: :muscle::devious::tired::bandit::cuss::uhoh:

02-13-2006, 11:06 AM
sorry...always wanted to do that lol :p

D Bergstrom
02-13-2006, 01:25 PM
I have a Scott's damper on both by bikes and love them, I would not ride a bike without one. I think that they would work fine for a quad, but I have never tried one on a quad. I do not know about a Precision being WAY better then a Scott's, but for the same price, I would go with the Precision. I know the low mount kit for the Scotts is $499, and retail on the Precision is $485, (I got mine for a little less.) I have the Precision on my 450R and will soon be buying one for my 250R I like it so much. If the Precision did not exist, I would have no problem running a Scott's though.

Doug

eganracing
02-13-2006, 02:32 PM
i ran a scotts on my 400 and i thought it was pretty good but if i was u i would buy the precision. i just ordered on for my 450.

duke416ex
02-13-2006, 02:55 PM
The only problem I really have with a precision is not being able to adjust on the fly. I just hate to spend an extra hundred dollars for a lower mount stabilizer. It may just be my opinion but that's just how I feel right now. I might change my mind though after a little more research.

DanW
02-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by duke416ex
Anyone running one and how do you like them?

I have the low mount one and I like it. I like the hi and low speed adjustment.

It is a bit pricey though. Would I buy one again...... I might buy a Precision if I could get it cheaper than the Scott's.

DirtDevilBT
02-16-2006, 10:03 PM
My cousin uses one on his raptor and loves it. Has the high/ low adjustment on the fly, been using them when he did more dirtbike riding. If you can get a deal, go with scotts. I hear a lot of stuff about the Precision, wont know until you try it.

I run the Denton.:cool: Good enough, 1/3rd the price

middleman102002
02-17-2006, 12:09 PM
my brother has a scotts stabalizer on his CR and he said i could have it is there anyway to mount it to a quad

or is it only for dirtbikes

it is mounted on his tripleclamps and i cant figure out how it would work

Jonas
02-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Someone's going to have to explain to me why a scott's is only meant for dirt bikes. I don't understand. Anyways, I mounted up my scott's to my 06 trx450r and used the same mount that I had on my 05 - I'll try and post a pic. I also had this damper on my 400ex which was a handlebar mount.

Jonas
02-20-2006, 09:27 AM
I would obviously prefer to be able to have easier access to it on the fly but I think you will find that after you ride with it for awhile you will get it set how you you like it and just ride.

thump4863
02-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Jonas
Someone's going to have to explain to me why a scott's is only meant for dirt bikes. I don't understand. Anyways, I mounted up my scott's to my 06 trx450r and used the same mount that I had on my 05 - I'll try and post a pic. I also had this damper on my 400ex which was a handlebar mount.

Not that Scotts is meant for dirt bikes it was invented with bikes in mind same with GPR where as the Precision was built with quads in mind.

Jonas
02-20-2006, 09:31 AM
By the way, I love my new '06 kicker. Here is a pic of it new with the stock tires. Full Rossier and WEB cam in it:D

middleman102002
02-20-2006, 03:05 PM
i dont understand please explain how you mounted it that doesnt really explain anything

did you buy that bracket or make it im more confused now then before

Jonas
02-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Scott's sells this low mount kit for their dampers on a 450r. The mount kit it top quality and came with great instructions.

Jonas
02-20-2006, 03:43 PM
Here's a closer pic.

duke416ex
02-21-2006, 07:30 AM
Ok, next question, why did you go from the top mount on a 400 to a low mount now? Can you tell it making any difference where it was wounted at. Also, since you are running low mount why do you have it and not a precision?

Jonas
02-21-2006, 09:35 AM
On the 400ex there are two bolts that bolt the front of the gas tank to the frame. The top mount kit for the 400ex bolts on with the use of those bolts and then the damper bolts onto the handlebars with a special clamp (I believe Scott's shows it on their website.) On the 450r there are no convenient bolts on the frame near where the steering stem goes down through it. As far as I can tell you would have to weld the top mount kit onto the frame. This is what alot of dirt bike guys have to do. Also, the distance from the handlebars down to where the mount would mount up would be a long distance and the mount would tend to flex under stress. If the mount kit or tower that runs up through the damper arm flexes, then the damper does not perform as well. I found that after I played with the adjustment on my scott's I wouldn't adjust it any further. On my 450r I went with the low mount because of this and the way it mounts is much sturdier. I bought the scott's because I knew that I could use it on any quad or dirt bike I have over the next twenty years that I will be riding. I will just buy the mount for that bike and bolt it on. I bought my scott's back in '01 and am not familiar with the Precision enough to comment. I hope this helps.

duke416ex
02-21-2006, 10:48 AM
That helps a lot. Most people keep tellng me for the money to get a Precision over a Scott's but I am still undecided. I don't know how many of those people have actually rode with a Scott's, or for that matter with a Precision. I have thought about just getting another Denton and running dual Dentons, but I think I would prefer some other form. Scott's told me I wouldn't have to rebuild it for a long while if it was mounted right, which is a lot different from other manufacturer's. Have you ever had trouble, and where did you get your's?

thump4863
02-21-2006, 03:13 PM
That helps a lot. Most people keep tellng me for the money to get a Precision over a Scott's but I am still undecided. I don't know how many of those people have actually rode with a Scott's, or for that matter with a Precision. I have thought about just getting another Denton and running dual Dentons, but I think I would prefer some other form. Scott's told me I wouldn't have to rebuild it for a long while if it was mounted right, which is a lot different from other manufacturer's. Have you ever had trouble, and where did you get your's?

I have ridden with both actually all three (denton)....both the scotts and precesion are high quality and you can't go wrong either way. However like I said previously the precision was MADE for a quad. I currently run the precision and I won't go back to the scotts. As far as the dentons - if you ride aggressive then you will be rebuilding them quite often....and if its like it normally denton NEVER has the rebuild kits in stock.

Jonas
02-22-2006, 08:38 AM
Hey Thump, do you have a good picture of the Precision and can you describe how the damping works on it?

Also, I have seen a damper on an mx bike that has an adjusting ring just inside of the left grip where you can adjust the damper on the fly. I thought it was something like a GPR brand damper. Anyone have a setup like that on theirs.

02-22-2006, 08:56 AM

ive rode all 3, and all i can say is the precision is INSANE :macho

you have literally hold the bars with 1 finger and move them around, but hitting things wont budge them, its awesome

02-22-2006, 10:01 AM
i'm really interested in a precision.
but, don't know if i'll have spring that kind of cash for one.
just got another gas bill yesterday ($437). what a freaking rip!!
:rolleyes:

02-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by force
i'm really interested in a precision.
but, don't know if i'll have spring that kind of cash for one.
just got another gas bill yesterday ($437). what a freaking rip!!
:rolleyes:

ya i wasnt sure if it was worth the money either until i rode my friends with it on, and wow, its amazing

blakefoote
02-22-2006, 02:58 PM
well...if your gonna spend the money i would get the Precision b/c it was made for a quad...JMO

02-26-2006, 10:03 PM
what do you guys think of the WER's? I just got one

Jonas
02-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by blakefoote
well...if your gonna spend the money i would get the Precision b/c it was made for a quad...JMO

I'm not doubting that it is the best damper but can anyone give me details as to why? Why is it important that it was made for a quad, in what ways does this help over say a Scott's? Can you give me details as to how you can adjust it and how the damping works. Not looking for technical details here but just how you adjust it for the different types of riding you do and how it reacts. Any help would be great, I am interested in learning more. Thanks.

fandl450r
02-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Jonas
I'm not doubting that it is the best damper but can anyone give me details as to why? Why is it important that it was made for a quad, in what ways does this help over say a Scott's? Can you give me details as to how you can adjust it and how the damping works. Not looking for technical details here but just how you adjust it for the different types of riding you do and how it reacts. Any help would be great, I am interested in learning more. Thanks.

Well the stabilizer was designed with quads/atv in mind, and IMO that is a huge reason why I went with a precision vs. the other high dollar stabilizers. Like Scotts' precision told me I would not have to rebuild this stabilizer in my lifetime. He said pro's will run these things entire seasons and not rebuild them once. The design and fitment of the precision is amazing, literally took me 10 minutes to bolt and on bam done and ready to rock and roll.

There are two adjustsments on the precision. Side and center. The side adjustment is for when the bars are not centered or when turned are, I'd say a 30 or more degrees from dead center. Center is for exactly that, dead center and probably 30 degrees each way. Looks similiar to this \ side \ Center / side /

This allows for a great number of adjustments since you can have it set harder while the bars are fairly straight and softer on the sides to make it easier for turning. I want to say there are 12 clicks of adjustment for both center and sides.

Overall its a night and day difference. DEFINITELY worth the money. I've ridden rough/smooth/metiocre tracks and it performs flawlessly. In all honesty I was a little sketchy of spending that kind of money on a simple little stabilizer, but after running the Precision, it is by far one of the best investments I've made to this day. Hope this helps.

eganracing
02-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by fandl450r
Well the stabilizer was designed with quads/atv in mind, and IMO that is a huge reason why I went with a precision vs. the other high dollar stabilizers. Like Scotts' precision told me I would not have to rebuild this stabilizer in my lifetime. He said pro's will run these things entire seasons and not rebuild them once. The design and fitment of the precision is amazing, literally took me 10 minutes to bolt and on bam done and ready to rock and roll.

There are two adjustsments on the precision. Side and center. The side adjustment is for when the bars are not centered or when turned are, I'd say a 30 or more degrees from dead center. Center is for exactly that, dead center and probably 30 degrees each way. Looks similiar to this \ side \ Center / side /

This allows for a great number of adjustments since you can have it set harder while the bars are fairly straight and softer on the sides to make it easier for turning. I want to say there are 12 clicks of adjustment for both center and sides.

Overall its a night and day difference. DEFINITELY worth the money. I've ridden rough/smooth/metiocre tracks and it performs flawlessly. In all honesty I was a little sketchy of spending that kind of money on a simple little stabilizer, but after running the Precision, it is by far one of the best investments I've made to this day. Hope this helps.

nicely put. i wanted to add that mine came with a chart of what u should set the dampener based on the track or trail. i found this to be incredibly useful and it takes all the guess work out of adjusting it.