PDA

View Full Version : Gas tank strapes?

K-Dub
02-13-2006, 02:49 AM
I have lost 5 gas tank strapes in the year that Ive had my R. Its starting to make me mad. I have to check them every couple hours of ride time to make sure there hooked up, so I dont loose any more. The ones Ive found half off have been unhooking from the frame, so Im got to tape them or something to keep from loosing them. Anyone else having this problem?

And whats up with the fenders not coming off with the seat. Thats one the most stupid thing I ever seen. This has bothered me since before I bought the 450. I had a 250R and 250X and loved that the fenders came off with the seat. I guess Im in a complaining mood tonight so Im going to continue. Next why is there so much stuff mounted to the sub frame. On my CRs it took less than 5 min to get the sub frame off. You didnt even have to remove the seat. On the 450R you have to unhook wiring (I can understand about the tail light) remove the master cylinder and resovior (sp) and the rear fenders.

02-13-2006, 04:55 AM
ive never lost a gast tank strap before. I really dont see anyway one would come off. You are larger though so your legs might actually be moving te tank when you ride?

JW450R1
02-13-2006, 05:20 AM
is your gas tank in properly?.can u zip tie strap to metal pin that sticks out?.i keep loosing the groments for the rear fenders,under the shut off valve.does any-one have any sugguestions?

Colby@C&DRacing
02-13-2006, 08:18 AM
are you running the plastic piece under the tank?? if not that could be the problem it will lower the tank.

K-Dub
02-13-2006, 05:06 PM
Im running the plastic peice under the tank. I only had the 450R 3 weeks when I noticed the first one missing.
My size and wieght are the only thing I can think of since no one else is having the problem, thats why I opened this thread to see if its just me or everybody.
Thanks.

528ATVRacewear
02-13-2006, 05:08 PM
You are not the only one. I have lost a few also.

the yazer
02-13-2006, 06:06 PM
I have also lost a few. i have found that if you zip tie one end of the strap to the rubber you will not lose it. the strap still falls off unless you tie both ends on...............

K-Dub
02-13-2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I try zip tying them on.

Honda
02-13-2006, 09:42 PM
Mine come loose also.....:ermm:

They are coming loose, because the plastic support flexes, when it flexes it releases the tension on the rubber and they come loose.

JB Racing makes a metal support bracket for this, it costs like $100.00 though. I bought one on egay for $75.00. I have yet to test it.

IMO, Poor design by Honda R&D.

prepracing
02-13-2006, 10:10 PM
the straps are not that important anyway......I haven't been running any for over a year. As long as your seat and front fenders are on that tank isn't going to go anywhere. But zipties would work fine also

Shawn H
02-15-2006, 09:48 AM
On my 06 Kicker there is a small hole drilled into the tab on frame and they have a 1 of them Spring clips installed.

The same kind you would put on a aftermarket axle for the hub nut.

On a Side note my 06 E-start dont have it the holes or clips:ermm:

Colby@C&DRacing
02-15-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Shawn H
On my 06 Kicker there is a small hole drilled into the tab on frame and they have a 1 of them Spring clips installed.

The same kind you would put on a aftermarket axle for the hub nut.

On a Side note my 06 E-start dont have it the holes or clips:ermm:

our 06 estart has the clips for the tank straps wonder why yours are missing

Shawn H
02-15-2006, 09:58 AM
I dont know but I just went and looked again and there is no hole for the clips either:confused:

I also noticed they changed the top rubber mount on the 06 versus the 04-05 450rs The straps cant come off the top unless the rubber is removed.

red2004 TRX450R
02-15-2006, 10:46 AM
I lost one of mine while checking my jetting with out the frount fenders on!

so now I am only running one and i dont see any proplems with that!!!

DirtDevilBT
02-16-2006, 09:54 PM
wow...I'm going bold I'm scratching my head so much.

I've had my quad for close to 2 years with over 110 hours and many tear downs. I think the straps are nice but that's prolly because I used to have a warrior. Now if you guys really want to complaint, take a warrior apart.

The seat and fenders coming off is a nice thing but I have friends with a 400ex and 250r that sometimes wish it was set up like a 450. It is a little harder to put the seat on, getting it in place to push down. Also, if it's not secure while in transit, you could lose the whole back end.

As far are the stuff on the subframe, :confused: :rolleyes:

2MuchChi450R
02-17-2006, 08:20 AM
I bent the metal tabs on the frame over a little more. It takes a little more effort, but I haven't had one come loose yet after that.