PDA

View Full Version : Any one ride a mx track yet

450R-156
02-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Has anyone rode the LTR-450 on a MX track yet? How was the suspension and thewidth. Would I be better of with a TRX450R with some money invested into a long travel suspension for racing MX

02-13-2006, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by 450R-156
Has anyone rode the LTR-450 on a MX track yet? How was the suspension and thewidth. Would I be better of with a TRX450R with some money invested into a long travel suspension for racing MX

my friend just got his LTR last night and me and him both turned a few laps on it on my track. its a lot better for mx than the trx stock, but if you invest in after market suspension and all that into the trx, the trx will handle a lot better. I know this because i have about $12,000 put into my 05 trx. (including the bike)

450R-156
02-13-2006, 03:59 PM
How was the suspension on the LTR? How does it compare to Elka Elites or Elka Race series

clutt225
02-13-2006, 04:27 PM
you want to compare what comes stock on the ltr to what people pay a thousand + for on the trx. You dont ask much do you. You should compare stock with stock in all fairness

badvox
02-13-2006, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by clutt225
you want to compare what comes stock on the ltr to what people pay a thousand + for on the trx. You dont ask much do you. You should compare stock with stock in all fairness

Yup

ck450r
02-13-2006, 05:16 PM
I dont care about fairness. I would also like to know how good they are compared to aftermarket.

450R-156
02-13-2006, 06:15 PM
Is the suzuki giong to be competive with a 450R that has a long travel setup

badvox
02-13-2006, 06:39 PM
So you honda guys still wanna compares apples to oranges then.
Why?

02-13-2006, 07:04 PM
badvox are you gonna sell your bolt bucket and buy a Quadracer?

badvox
02-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by ACEOUTDOOR
badvox are you gonna sell your bolt bucket and buy a Quadracer?

shhh its a secret. Always been a fan of suzukis I used to own an RM250 back when I was younger, thinner, and had knees still.

After a ATKannondale there really is no other choice but the LTR is there? My ATKannondale is just fine though. No issues whatsoever but then some would say I just dont ride it like it should be. Ya know like a sissy rides. LOL

450R-156
02-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by badvox
So you honda guys still wanna compares apples to oranges then.
Why?

All the suzuki reps are telling me that you can dump a few grand into a Honda or Yamaha and the LTR-450 will beat them stock

badvox
02-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by 450R-156
All the suzuki reps are telling me that you can dump a few grand into a Honda or Yamaha and the LTR-450 will beat them stock

Really. Well thats a different ballgame right there. Tell them to let you test one then. :)

motox450r
02-14-2006, 07:59 PM
what was a zuk rep supposed to say? har har

Racing Rice
02-15-2006, 07:36 AM
I'd be very curious to hear opinions on the stock LTR450 suspension vs. Aftermarket suspension. Preferably an unbiased opinion. I don't really care to hear about a stock LTR vs. a built up 450R from a biased Honda owner though.

A test would be completely logical. From all of the stuff I've read the 'Zuk has great suspension for a stock bike on a lot of different sources.

ck450r
02-15-2006, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Racing Rice
I'd be very curious to hear opinions on the stock LTR450 suspension vs. Aftermarket suspension. Preferably an unbiased opinion. I don't really care to hear about a stock LTR vs. a built up 450R from a biased Honda owner though.

A test would be completely logical. From all of the stuff I've read the 'Zuk has great suspension for a stock bike on a lot of different sources.

I totally agree. well said.

Rooprick
02-15-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm going to the track to break in the motor today. I know there will be several built Honda's and Yami's there. All with LT so I will let you know.

Rooprick
02-15-2006, 09:08 PM
Ok back from the track... The Ltr is the best stock mx quad hands down.... But, to put it up against a $13,000 450r is not fair. But if I put $6000 into my ltr well than all bets are off. So to say a tricked out 450r is better than a stock ltr is true. If you put $3000 to $4000 I think you will have a better quad. That is how I see it.....

Racing Rice
02-16-2006, 06:50 AM
That stands to reason.. How did the bike perform? What are the highs and lows of the bike? What do you think needs changed?

Jonas
02-16-2006, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Racing Rice

I love the new Suzuki. Comparing them stock to stock is obvious though isn't it??? The suspension and handling will be better than Yamaha and Honda because the thing comes with smaller tires and is wider. Does everyone need Dirt Wheels magazine to come out and say "the Suzuki handles better" for them to see that it will. That won't be a "fair" test either will it? The Suzuki costs more and is set up for a different purpose than the others. Anyways, I think that any smart person can do the math here.

Rooprick
02-16-2006, 09:02 AM
Highs and lows:

High:
The motor has POWER pulls great.
the seat feels very good
jumps very good (The honda owner even had to say so )
not messing with jetting

Lows
VERY high 1st and 2nd gear
shocks are very stiff. This will just take time to set up.

Over all:

For a stock quad set up for mx....FREAKING GREAT....This is a c class riders dream. B class very few upgrades needed....A and pro well I don't think it will cost as much as get it on par with the other 2...

QuadJunkies
02-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Rooprick
Highs and lows:

High:
the seat feels very good
not messing with jetting

Lows

Over all:

For a stock quad set up for mx....FREAKING GREAT....This is a c class riders dream. B class very few upgrades needed....A and pro well I don't think it will cost as much as get it on par with the other 2...

Maybe over time you could send off your Shocks to Laz at GT Thunder or C@D t o do a little tweeking...

We will have to plan a ride sometime and Ill catch the new beast on vidoe :macho

Rooprick
02-16-2006, 12:14 PM
Sounds great but, you will have to speed up the video...People will ask you why its in slowmo. The sad thing is that I'm that slow........

QuadJunkies
02-16-2006, 12:23 PM
Sounds great but, you will have to speed up the video...People will ask you why its in slowmo. The sad thing is that I'm that slow........ Bah... Give yourself some credit... You done very well last year, and this year............

your GONNA TEAR!!! :blah: :macho
no but seriously, we need to get together and play soon.... Were working on something for Troy.. Cross your fingers ;)

Racing Rice
02-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Jonas
I love the new Suzuki. Comparing them stock to stock is obvious though isn't it??? The suspension and handling will be better than Yamaha and Honda because the thing comes with smaller tires and is wider. Does everyone need Dirt Wheels magazine to come out and say "the Suzuki handles better" for them to see that it will. That won't be a "fair" test either will it? The Suzuki costs more and is set up for a different purpose than the others. Anyways, I think that any smart person can do the math here.

We all know that the Suzuki handles better. I don't think any here has argued that fact (other then maybe a few other 450 owners that are attempting to convince themselves that they still like thier quads.) Nor did I ever say that I don't want a test comparing stock suspended LTR450 with a other 450 with custom suspension. I just said that I wanted an UNBIASED test. I doubt that Dirtwheels would completely give you one either.

ATVRiders or ATV Scene is probably our best bet. I've already read reviews from a couple pro-riders and various other racers who will soon be switching from Honda and Yamaha to Suzuki after getting a chance to test ride one. I think that says a lot.

BlueZ440
02-16-2006, 05:07 PM
Highs and lows:

High:
the seat feels very good
not messing with jetting

Lows

Over all:

Yeah we have to get together and shoot some video with me on it..LOL:D

Ride1Rob
02-18-2006, 07:00 AM
I love this quad war:) . Competition is a Mofo ain't it. Suzuki will only do one or 2 things... Make Yamaha, Honda, Kawi, etc... step up to the plate, or leave them behind (That's coming from a die hard Yami guy). And I'm speaking in terms of selling a full race bike for the average consumer off of the show room floor. The sport ATV scene scene is blowing up right b/f our eyes guys. You non believers need to grasp it and embrace it. I'm willing to say w/in the next 5yrs quads will be if not as big, almost as big as the dirtbike scene.

buddah
02-18-2006, 09:22 PM
Coming off an '04 YFZ and an '06 Raptor 700 I now own an LT-R. The YFZ and LT-R feel very close in the suspension department in stock form. Both are stiff, ( I weigh 220 lbs, so it's fine ) but the LT-R goes through the whoops better to me. My Raptor had long travel Axis so I won't do any comparison here.

The motor hit harder on the YFZ than the LT-R. The power is more linear on the Zook which I prefer. Easier to control and less tiring.

Suzuki corners far superior in stock form.

Both jump equally

I believe Suzuki has temporarily set the bar, especially with EFI. Even though the Dales were the first manufacturer to offer EFI on race machines they are no longer around.

Honda needs to lower the CG a little and Yamaha won't sit around that's for sure.

Just my opinion

Quad Boy 660r
02-18-2006, 11:44 PM
Not usually too worried about straight line drags, but the suspense is killing me, is the LTR faster than the 700R was? Stock for stock. If it can beat the 700R, it will murder the YFZ and TRX.

What about ergos? The Z felt fine to me, is it similar? The TRX is a little cramped, and the YFZ is good too.

Ok, maybe it wont MURDER the Yfz or Trx, that is a little harsh, bu you get the point.

Thank You.

outlaw450r
02-22-2006, 03:08 PM
If the ltr is so great and Gust is so great Why are the honda's still winning the mx nationals.

bombsquad54
02-22-2006, 05:30 PM
the riders dude, someday you will learn its 80% rider 20% bike

02-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by outlaw450r
If the ltr is so great and Gust is so great Why are the honda's still winning the mx nationals.

wow, don't you remember back in 04 when the z400 was killing the yfz450's and trx450's in nationals?

common since man, rider has alot to do with it.

The hondas are kicking *** in nationals though...

KingpinsEx
02-25-2006, 06:01 PM
I am very curious about the suspension as well...Suzuki claimed that this bike stock was built on par with Gust's Z and Doug said it was the best suspension he has ever ridden on? I find these comments very hard to believe that the stock shocks are as good as top end elkas.

However for them to say such a thing, while not better they must be close, right? I think with some fine tuning they wield much better results and are probably comparable to the middle 750-800 range aftermarket shocks. I cant wait to ride one!

LTZ400ApK
02-25-2006, 08:17 PM
Finally got to take mine out last night and brake it in,Handles like a Champ,Motor is Super Smooth and has plenty of power,As for the Shocks go...... Well Nolleen will be getting mine on tuesday for a bigger person they would be great but when you only weight 150 They are Stiffer than hell,Even after backing the preload all the way off the springs and adjusting the compression all the way out

eganracing
03-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by KingpinsEx
I am very curious about the suspension as well...Suzuki claimed that this bike stock was built on par with Gust's Z and Doug said it was the best suspension he has ever ridden on? I find these comments very hard to believe that the stock shocks are as good as top end elkas.

However for them to say such a thing, while not better they must be close, right? I think with some fine tuning they wield much better results and are probably comparable to the middle 750-800 range aftermarket shocks. I cant wait to ride one!

i found this in the March 2006 Dirt Wheels.
quote,"DW: How do u feel the suspension works on the new Quadracer?"
"JJ: It's awesome. In stock form. it's even better than our race setups last year...." but he does go on to talk about how the pros will upgrade the suspension to have an extra edge and that the suspension would be fine for just about everyone else.

KingpinsEx
03-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Yea thats what im wondering....his race setup last year was long travel, quad rate, elka's. The stock shocks only appear to be dual rate, so how can they compare? Has anyone out there raced on a similar elka setup and rode a LTR? Of course they are not as good as the best shocks avaible now, which is why i can see that gust would not want to race with them. But the question is how good are they comapared to the elkas or any other top shocks for that matter. Gust is being paid to much to answer that question honestly, im looking for a riders opinion.

majistical
03-05-2006, 08:58 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/majistical/000_0026.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/majistical/000_0040.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/majistical/45da4f67.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y140/majistical/Animation2.gif

Well, as for a riders opinion - Ive only ridden my r450 around my house, havent had the chance to take it to the track yet. As for the stock shocks compared to the Elka Race Seris....On the jump showed above, and one of the landings..yanno...My opinion really only counts for that jump, that the various bumps i can go thru in my yard...I believe that they are very nice for being stock...they are even better than my elkas as of right now...because they are over a year old, and need some service...but seriously they do remind of some aftermarket shocks...They felt better than the Works Shocks that came on my Z when i first bought it....

Brandon.

KingpinsEx
03-05-2006, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the input...thats exactly what i was looking for. I'd like to hear a ride report after you hit up an mx track though and by the way nice air! I want one :D