PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: 05 Front Clip on Pre-05

Green95Hoe
02-12-2006, 06:28 PM
Many have asked. Few have provided the info. So tonite im locked in during a snowstorm and I felt like contributing. Here is my tech write up for putting 05 plastics on an older than 05 400ex:

First and foremost, Parts. I started by getting a headlight from a 450R on e-bay. This is the best option since Honda will want several hundred dollars. Both the 05 400ex’s and the 450R’s use the same headlight. The rest of the items I got on Bike Bandit by looking up an 05 Model. Ok, so here is what else you will need: Lower Headlight plastic (3017033), Hood (2921494). 2 Hood Grommets (Two of 94408), Both Front Fenders (Numbers vary depending on color), The Black Piece that would hold the Reverse switch (3016988), Lower Headlight Bracket #1 (3016983), Lower Headlight Bracket #2 (3016984), Lower Headlight bracket grommets (Two of 2922278) and Upper Headlight Bracket (number not on bikebandit but can be found here http://www.motosport.com/oem/index.jsp .

The 4 stock fender mount brackets will be re-used. I also recommend you buy a bag of 10 or so of the black plastic push things that hold the fenders on. They will be used all over the front clip so youll want some new ones and they are cheap enough. I also recommend you pick up the small piece of black plastic that would hold the reverse switch. Your ignition switch will fit in it nicely and you can wrap some electrical tape around it to make it fit snug for a super clean and stock look. I cut the three stubs down about ½ in the back and then just screwed the back on with some stainless steel screws and washers. Ok, so other things to know. The CDI will need to be mounted on the second lower headlight bracket. You will see how it works when you pull it off the frame. You will also need to get 2 self tappers to mount the 2 lower brackets to the front of the frame. Take some measurements and screw that bracket into the center of the crossbar of the frame. I had to bend one of the tabs that was part of the frame. Both lower brackets go together as you can see in the schematic parts list. In my case the upper fender L-shaped brackets needed to be bent inward just a pinch. The best way is to take them right off and mount the 2 fenders. Then mount your lower headlight brackets and pop that in place. Next install the upper headlight bracket which is a long rod shaped like a square. Use the push pin connects to secure the 2 front fender pieces. Once this is done you will see how the whole front end centers itself. Now look underneath and you will see how much you need to bend those upper fender brackets. Shouldn’t be much if any. There are other catches as well. I found out that the 450 headlight didn’t have the proper end on it to plug into the wiring harness. First reaction was to cut the one off the other headlight so that’s what I did. I later discovered I could have just separated the terminals in the plug and done it that way. I also took the ignition thing one step further by getting a plastic PVC elbow (3/4”) and a small length of straight (3/4”) Put that on the back of the igniton to protect the wires from all the crud that will fly up off your tires. Seal the end with silicone. It also helps to make a challenge for anyone who wants to hotwire. Although I guess they could just pop the hood off. Duh. I also drilled the hole for my Neutral switch just below the ignition switch. Figured it was the best place for it for me. You can put it anywhere you want though.

In the end it was about 200 for all the parts to order and another 75 for the Headlight. The only catch is that now my rear fender is all old and decrepit looking so ill need to get a new one of those. I have also found out that we can now run the PIAA headlight bulbs and you don’t have to be so worrisome of power consumption because it’s a battery equipped system unlike some of the 450R’s it was made for. Im sure there are a few other things im missing. I will monitor the forums heavily for the next couple months as im sure many will have questions. I will try to get pics up to aid in installation. When all my parts arrived, I was at first confused but between looking at the schematic on the bikebandit page and my frame I was able to figure it out pretty quickly. Here are a few snaps with it half apart. Im in the process of a 426 so my engine is out. Ill get more pics up in about a week when she is all complete.

Here is the front of the ignition:
http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL564/494166/833644/129241425.jpg
Back of the ignition showing PVC wrapped in electrical tape
http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL564/494166/833644/129241423.jpg
The mess under the hood
[img]http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL564/494166/833644/129241416.jpg
Passenger Side
[img]http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL564/494166/833644/129241413.jpg
Right Side
[img]http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL564/494166/833644/129241409.jpg
Left Side
http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL564/494166/833644/129241427.jpg

Maybe a mod could make this a sticky if it takes off.

NCexRider
02-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Are your front shocks turned backwards?

Green95Hoe
02-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Yes, I like the rezzies facing forward

~Brad

spr-scott
02-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Your a little late, I did the conversion back in November 2004. With a full write up on the website.

cbr600ex
03-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Thanks alot for all the helpful info you gave me for swapping fenders. I was having a hard time figuring it out. I wanted to order the new fender but didn't want to have to do to much mods. As for the reverse switch and the neutral switch. I don't have to worry about it anyways cause I am putting a cbr600 engine in it. Just in the process of finding one. Once again thanks alot. Shawn

coryatver
03-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Green95Hoe
Yes, I like the rezzies facing forward

~Brad

So when you run into something they can get smashed?:confused:

ride_red666
03-16-2006, 04:52 PM
does the back fender mount up exactly like the old ones?

TRX23rider
03-16-2006, 05:13 PM
yes the backs are the same as the old ones:D

03-16-2006, 07:33 PM
i have a take off light and hood from an 06 450r. you could try to update to the new "r" look. they came off the bike as soon as i brought it home from the dealer...

send me a pm if interested and i will work out a price...

coryatver
03-16-2006, 08:34 PM
I don't think the 06 light will work for the 05 400ex setup.

Jakeyracer
03-16-2006, 09:09 PM
now all i need to know is how to put old plastics on a new ex:devil:

Green95Hoe
03-17-2006, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
So when you run into something they can get smashed?:confused:

If I run into something the shocks are ruined no matter which way they are pointing. Its my bike, my money and MY preference. It makes no difference ewhatsoever which way they are facing so there is no wrong way. Im sure they run cooler facing that forward anyway. I didnt make this post to get flamed, rather it took some time to do a nice writeup for so many people who wanted info that wasnt easily found.

TheChknhwk
03-17-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Green95Hoe
If I run into something the shocks are ruined no matter which way they are pointing. Its my bike, my money and MY preference. It makes no difference ewhatsoever which way they are facing so there is no wrong way. Im sure they run cooler facing that forward anyway. I didnt make this post to get flamed, rather it took some time to do a nice writeup for so many people who wanted info that wasnt easily found.

Good call, dang whiners.

otsxo
04-18-2007, 12:19 PM
Green95hoe - Can you repost those pictures? I just bought the conversion kit and it is in about 1000 pieces. I really just need to see how the lower headlight bracket attaches to the frame. It's like a big puzzle. Once I get the first piece on I should be good to go.

Thanks.