PDA

View Full Version : yfz or 450r

TheBlasterMan
02-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Well i ride a blaster and all my friends are getting bigger quads, one has a yfz, 2 have a 450r, another one has 400ex and a 300ex rider. I ride my blaster and my blaster isnt cutting it. I was wondering if it would be worth just to buy a used one and get a loan trough my parents. I would just pay the loan. I have a job, 6 bucks and hour. If its around 4000 dollars i hope i can pay it off by the end of the year. I have 1500 right now and could get around 700-900 for the blaster. I decided to look into the yfz because its light 350 lbs compared to all the other sport quads. I weigh 120 lbs too, and 5 foot 7. ive rode a 450r and liked the power and the brakes so as long as the yfz is like that im fine, I was thinking of getting a 2004 or 2005 because i coudnt afford an o6, What problems should i look for? i heard problems about the decompression plug and charging problems. Are they reliable? frame strong? I do mostly trail and mx along with some freestyle and drag racing. So im an all around type of rider. Do u recamend a yfz for me? id like to get a quad that will last? with power that will amuse me for many years to come. Thanks, TheBlasterMan

02-12-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by TheBlasterMan
Well i ride a blaster and all my friends are getting bigger quads, one has a yfz, 2 have a 450r, another one has 400ex and a 300ex rider. I ride my blaster and my blaster isnt cutting it. I was wondering if it would be worth just to buy a used one and get a loan trough my parents. I would just pay the loan. I have a job, 6 bucks and hour. If its around 4000 dollars i hope i can pay it off by the end of the year. I have 1500 right now and could get around 700-900 for the blaster. I decided to look into the yfz because its light 350 lbs compared to all the other sport quads. I weigh 120 lbs too, and 5 foot 7. ive rode a 450r and liked the power and the brakes so as long as the yfz is like that im fine, I was thinking of getting a 2004 or 2005 because i coudnt afford an o6, What problems should i look for? i heard problems about the decompression plug and charging problems. Are they reliable? frame strong? I do mostly trail and mx along with some freestyle and drag racing. So im an all around type of rider. Do u recamend a yfz for me? id like to get a quad that will last? with power that will amuse me for many years to come. Thanks, TheBlasterMan

i would say whichever you feel more comfortable on would be the 1 for you to get, if you feel like your in a better stance on the 450R get it, vise versa, both of them have their share of problems, but most can be solved with simple maintence and taking care of your quad before its too late, you really cant go wrong with either one of those

wanna_be_ridn
02-12-2006, 09:54 AM
lol you cant go to a 450r forum and ask if you should buy a yfz lol, but i do agree with yurik its whatever you prefer and fits your style best, and what u feel comfortable on.

john.E.business
02-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Well if your on a budget you may wanna get the honda.... they are the most reliable!!!

ThumPIN_450R
02-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by john.E.business
Well if your on a budget you may wanna get the honda.... they are the most reliable!!!

Honda most reliable? If there is anything that will blow more motors than my honda I would be extremely surprised.

02-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by ThumPIN_450R
Honda most reliable? If there is anything that will blow more motors than my honda I would be extremely surprised.

lol ya, u have a lemon thats for sure, my friend has a yfz that bent valves 3 times, he sold it after the third time, sometimes you just get bad motors :(

02-12-2006, 02:02 PM
honda

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid121/p94b6c540f5bda58d42a8bc37560c87e1/f84d6cf0.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid200/pff82b2e6666273cd3af884df96e74943/f075fe06.jpg

steveatv3
02-12-2006, 02:14 PM
not being biast i had an 05 and an 04 450R and loved them no problems smooth power no cutting out. I just had minor mods like pipe, cam, piston, and an intake and would grab holeshots. My 04 YFZ was junk you couldnt hammer the throttle with out it sputtering or missing and i messed with the jetting every way possible and it did this totaly stock as well. Another friend just picked up an 06 yfz that the head pipe got so hot that it would glow the brightest red ive ever soon and actualy distorded the head pipe and also has problems cutting out.

Ya you do get your lemons here and there but i would say 450R for a kid like you that just wants somthing fun to ride and probably do wheelies on and stuff like that

john.E.business
02-12-2006, 02:21 PM
Yea i have had no issues with my 05 other then the clutch slipping abit but i took that in and they fixed it and it has been a problem free bike....

TheBlasterMan
02-12-2006, 04:07 PM
im smaller, ive been toled the yfz is smaller rider friendly, is that true?

wanna_be_ridn
02-12-2006, 04:16 PM
well both the 450's are good bikes, its mostly rider preference, i had a yamaha and i was always having to replace bolts that would vibrate out, other then that i never had any major problems then i sold it and got my 06 450r and love it.

02-12-2006, 04:32 PM
coming from a blaster you would probably like the yfz better because it revvs like a 2 stroke. the 450r is a lot easier to lug around and has equal power, it just comes on in a different way. it wouldnt take long to get used to that kinda 4 stroke power though. but id say there both equal. ive had a lot of seat time on both of them and i honestly think the 450r runs better stock. if you like trails you would probably like the 450r better because the suspension is way more forgiving. if your gunna ride mx a lot and dont have much money to spend on after market stuff, i would go with the yfz because it has a lower center of gravity, it motor hits harder(not necessarily faster), and the suspension has more travel and a little more adjustability. but since you ride a little bit of everything, i would recommend the 450r. and yes... it is very reliable. either one though, you cant go wrong... great quads. try riding your friends and seeing which one you like the best. thats the best way to find out which one is better.

hope this helps.:)

wanna_be_ridn
02-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Ya thats a great way to find the one u like, ride ur friends quads then decide. greatly said honda dude.

02-12-2006, 07:04 PM
thank you:cool: