PDA

View Full Version : LRD Pipes don't fit so good

mxriderona400ex
07-14-2002, 11:19 PM
After spending around 500 bucks on a full LRD chrome exhaust system, I have to say I expected more for my money. The pipe works great, the 400 has plenty of pep at any speed.

However the fit of the pipe onto the 4wheeler was very rough. It dosen't fit well next to the clutch mechanism on the right side of the motor. The mechanism I mention - its what the clutch cable pulls on, down on top of the motor's right side. This thing actually touches the pipe, and is wearing a groove there into the side of the pipe.
Also, the stock clutch cable will burn through with only several minutes of riding, as it is waaay too close to the header pipes, even rubbing against it when you left turn.

The day I got the pipe, I called LRD and talked to them about it. Their response to me was 'it's a closed course pipe and some modifications may have to be made'. I thought this was crap and told them if it didn't fit I'd be calling back about it. Well I ran right out to the garage and started working,, and I was putting the last bolt back on, it broke off in the head (top left bolt, 3rd occurence I've heard about), tried to use an easy-out and failed, and carried the whole project to LCS Racing in Garland, Tx.

LCS had my bike almost a week, and they worked the motor over and got the bolt out, and while they had the motor out, they found that the valve cover was cracked. They didn't have one handy, so they kept my bike another week while we waited on the parts. I took the LRD pipe up to them and told them my story, and told them to put it on for me so it was all nice and professionally done. Lucky himself did the motor work on the bike, and the LRD pipe install also.

When I picked up my 400, Lucky came out to me in the parking lot and asked me if I had a digital camera. I told him yes, I did. He said that I should take photos of my pipe and send it to LRD, because it isn't right. He pointed out the clutch cable was going to fry inside of 10 minutes of riding, he had a hard time lining it up on the head, and the shifter mechanism on the motor was rubbing the pipe. He said he bent that out as much as possible, but it still was making contact.

I told Lucky that I had called LRD the day I got the pipe, because it was a really poor fit for 500 bucks, and I told them how they responded about it. He said I REALLY should contact LRD about this. I told him I had an idea where I could post this sort of information.... (:

I went to Auto Z*ne and got some Exhaust Repair Patch made by Victor. It was about 2 bucks. I wrapped the clutch cable very liberally with this stuff, and went riding. This tape smoked and charred up black, but it never burned through, and my clutch still works, so its all good. It quit smoking after a while (:

So - the moral to the story? LRD has a nice pipe, it really added some torque at most any range to my 4wheeler. Today I got stupid on a berm and had to pull it all in while in 3rd,, and I took off in 3rd from a rolling stop, it did not bog hardly at all, just pulled (:
But be prepared to shoehorn the thing onto your bike. And maybe reroute the clutch cable or get a longer one. And the clutch mechansim, time will tell how this holds out...

The setup so far:
2001 400ex
20" holeshot rears
22" holeshot fronts
DG nerfs
13T renthal ft. sprocket.
renthal bars
full K&N kit w/155 jet - no airbox lid..
LRD Chromed full header/pipe w/ Ceramic
ProDesign killswitch

...next mod will prolly be turning the front wheels inside out to get a little wider... or fixing that tweaked lower A arm,,,, (:

P.S. - If you see an old hippie passing you on a 4wheeler, wave to him... (: and move outta my way

MXRiderOnA400ex's dad.

Pappy
07-14-2002, 11:30 PM
sounds like something aint right. i know several people who use that pipe and other then the tight fit they have had no problems.
i cant imagine the head pipe being so close to the clutch cable as to burn it:huh i would be jumpin up and down at lrd gettin this straight!!

airheadedduner
07-14-2002, 11:41 PM
You know I have never heard anything bad about LRD, in fact they are my favorite builder and am having them do all my stuff from now on. The pipe on my R is a tight fit too. So tight in fact that I can't run one of my motor mount bolts but that has never been a problem. I would email the pics you posted to jason@lrdperformance.com. He has always been good about helping me. The thing about the closed course pipe mounting roughly is hard to swallow but is true about TC pipes to. Aftermarket frames have such messed up mounting that companies have to compromise with mounting hardware to get them to work on all frames. By your pics though yours is unacceptable, I would demand they fix or replace it.

07-14-2002, 11:42 PM
Search around here for some pics of the lrd set up cause I dont remember seeing any as low on the motor or as dinged up as that one.

Keep after LRD till you get some satisfaction, just dont give up.

250xman
07-15-2002, 12:04 AM
wheres this shop at in garland? i live in plano and im looking for somewhere to have my motor work done.

Pappy
07-15-2002, 12:04 AM
By your pics though yours is unacceptable,

i hope that is not the condition of his pipe. i would use it to swat frogs but wouldnt have it on my quad. maybe its the heat tape he was talkin about? was it used? wrecked? dropped on a freeway? what gives? that things got more dents in it than snow whites cherry!!!:D

airheadedduner
07-15-2002, 12:06 AM
Who LRD??? The are in Gereshum, OR. About an hour drive from my driveway.

Pappy
07-15-2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
Who LRD??? The are in Gereshum, OR. About an hour drive from my driveway.

hes lookin for the shop in garland texas.......hey ....run up the street and get this solved for him!!

airheadedduner
07-15-2002, 12:16 AM
I'm not wearing the right shoes.:D

mxriderona400ex
07-15-2002, 06:38 AM
should be @ lcsracing.com...
they're off Forest Ln. like between Glenbrook and Garland Ave., close to downtown Garland. They been there since 1976, and you can bank on em - they are good at tweakin'. He used to do 3 wheelers back when I was a kid, I took my 200x there back in '85.
Then he did mainly bikes,, but now he'll work on a quad if you're nice to him (:

Thanks for the replies all - I will contact LRD again, and I'll clean up the pipe and take a new photo. Its not dented like someone suggested,,, it was just all greasy and fingerprinted, etc....
These photos are BEFORE I added the tape stuff onto the clutch cable,,,, I'll take a pic of that too so you can see what I did...

I like LRD pipe alot,, its LOUD, and I have power in most any range. It just don't fit (:

- mxRiderOnA400ex 's dad.

400exRacerX
07-15-2002, 10:52 AM
You must have it mounted wrong because mine fits perfect.

07-15-2002, 10:59 AM
my 2002 LRD pipe rubbed the schreader valve on my rear shock and made it loose all the nitro in it.

RideRed04
07-15-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
my 2002 LRD pipe rubbed the schreader valve on my rear shock and made it loose all the nitro in it.

That is how rumors get started...:p

07-15-2002, 12:07 PM
What the F are you talking about redrider04?

trx400ex
07-15-2002, 12:19 PM
NICE BIKE 400exracer, does the lrd pipe turn blue and crap after a while?

RideRed04
07-15-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by GNCCer
What the F are you talking about redrider04?

What in god's name is a schreader valve? It sounded like you where making up some bs, sorry, my bad.

07-15-2002, 01:01 PM
my bad i have no idea how to spell it. it is the type of valve that your wheels have to put air in them. It is also the type of valve used on your shocks to put nitrogen in them. If you look on a 400 it is on the can right next to the exhaust.

Rastus
07-15-2002, 01:09 PM
Yeah dude, thats pretty unexceptable. id keep hounding them, thats an unsatisfactory pipe. if other fits, and that one doesnt, then they should replace it.

400exRacerX
07-15-2002, 02:36 PM
Yeah that pic was when I first got it, now its blue and gold, but still looks kinda trick that way.

07-15-2002, 03:12 PM
yea, u must have problem with it, my freinds fitted perfect before he sold it.

250xman
07-15-2002, 03:16 PM
heck that shops about 20 min from my house. i'll give em a call about my bike. theres some stuff out there i forget what its called but you pour it into you chrome pipes and it will keep it from blueing for a year then you gotta do it again. my freind put it on his header and that was 2 years ago and it still aint blue. you should try to find some of it. we got it out of a magazine i had. some catalog for atv's. it was a big stores on here bui ti dont remeber which one, sorry:rolleyes:

mxriderona400ex
07-15-2002, 03:23 PM
HEeeyyy-
my pipe don't fit like that.
I musta got a bent header or something. Those pics have alot more clearance off the motor....hrummm...
Well, my kid washed the quad today, so I'll take some new pics and talk to LRD tomorrow. I'll put a better pic here too. BTW nice quads there gentlemen.

RideRed04
07-15-2002, 03:25 PM
Use high temp (preferably white) paint on the inside of the header, where it comes out of the engine. After you paint it, let the motor heat the pipes at idle to bake the paint.

Pro400EXC
07-15-2002, 03:30 PM
Didn't LRD have a new design pipe for 2002? Norm is your pipe the 02 model?or 01, maybe the 01 fits better cause its diff.?

Giz400ex
07-15-2002, 05:11 PM
LRD does have a new deisign for the 400 and looks great!! Seen it at Nac's 3 months ago!! As for tight fit, mine was also a tight fit but had to hit it in a bit. Also the clutch cable, mine was also hittiing the pipes and did burn pretty good but re-route in between the pipes the motor!!

07-30-2002, 10:36 PM
400exracerx, thats a vdery nice lookin quad u got sitten oin your garage