PDA

View Full Version : KX 80 Questions-! Any help Appreciated

300excrazy98
02-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Hey guys, I just aquired a old KX 80, its a 93 i think. but im not sure. it hasnt been gun in over 5 years maybe? I got it for free and its in great condition. I want to make this thing ridable, so i was thinking, ill probaly have to change the plug, the oil, maybe the cooliant, and the gas. I have never owned a 2 stroke ever!
Please dont flame me for such noobish questions
My questions are-

What oil do I put in it? (Engine, not in the gas**)
Does it matter what kind of 2 stroke oil i use in the gas mix?
Does this thing need an oil filter?
Any thing else i should change before riding it?

Any help would be appreciated!

02-11-2006, 09:04 PM
i use the 2- stroke oil its in a white bottle and it says suzuki on the front of it i heard it was the **** i would change the gear oil get a new spark plug drain ALL the gas take f the carb clean it.clean the air filter reoil it lube the chain check that all cables throttle,clutch and brakes are all in tact and working shape.and run 40:1 mixture in the gas oil mixture my bros got an rm 85 and my friend has a kx85 and i have a kx 125.go over every bolt and make sure that theyre tightened

http://www.magicracingmx.com/product.asp?itemid=4&catid=76

use that mixing cup to mix the 2-stroke oil ratio or the amount needed to fill your gas amount needs

if you need anymore question answered PM me or MXfourtwoeight hes pretty good with that kinda chit

hope this helped

02-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Marshmello
i use the 2- stroke oil its in a white bottle and it says suzuki on the front of it i heard it was the **** i would change the gear oil get a new spark plug drain ALL the gas take f the carb clean it.clean the air filter reoil it lube the chain check that all cables throttle,clutch and brakes are all in tact and working shape.and run 40:1 mixture in the gas oil mixture my bros got an rm 85 and my friend has a kx85 and i have a kx 125.go over every bolt and make sure that theyre tightened

use that mixing cup to mix the 2-stroke oil ratio or the amount needed to fill your gas amount needs

if you need anymore question answered PM me or MXfourtwoeight hes pretty good with that kinda chit

hope this helped I don't know shot about 2 strokes. By the time I started caring about what makes a bike work I was off them.

02-11-2006, 09:18 PM
yea theyre outdated i it admit but i mean its my first bike so hopefully i will be on a 450 or 250f by next year

300excrazy98
02-12-2006, 07:32 AM
ok thanks guys, any more help would be appreciated!~

so..
does it matter what kind of two stroke oil i put into the gas? I have gas right now that has STIHL 2 stroke oil mixed in it for my chain saw. would this work?

the oil for the tranny, what kind of oil do i use? I have alot of
5w-30 oil. would this work?

moto04racing
02-12-2006, 07:38 AM

hope this helped YA BOY, that my home shop

change the oil
drain the gas
IT DOESNT NEED an oil filter
make sure none of the cables are sticking
make sure the brakes work
clean the air filter
clean the carb
wire brush the chain then relube it
change the spark plug
change the coolant
belray is good oil to use for mixture and tranny
make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight

300excrazy98
02-12-2006, 07:54 AM
ok its good to hear it doesnt need an oil filter... i dont watn to put any money into it...

so now my question is about the tranny oil. what kind i have
5w-30 will this work?

sly400ex
02-12-2006, 08:01 AM
Yes, that oil will be fine. I had an 86 KX 80 when I was younger, that little thing ripped.

Have fun with it!

moto04racing
02-12-2006, 09:34 AM
all my friends run 80W in there bikes

Rich250RRacer
02-12-2006, 10:11 AM
yea theyre outdated i it admit but i mean its my first bike so hopefully i will be on a 450 or 250f by next year

Outdated:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Stupid young punk. Wait until you have to replace a top end on a new four-stroke and end up replacing valves and springs too. The 250 four-strokes are the worst. All of the manufacturers recommend replacement of the piston and rings at about 10 hours (Honda's piston and ring life is very short) with a max of about 30 hours on the 250's. Most engine builders are finding that even in this short amount of time valves and springs need to be changed, or you might experience severe engine failure. This is true on the 450's too, but with a minimum of about 30 hours and a max of 60hours between top end replacement. This can push the price of a rebuild as high as seven or eight hundred dollars. And you may have to do this 3 or 4 times a year. My outdated CR250 will go a full season on a top end, and even if it didn't, it can be replaced for about $150. All of you know-it-all 16 and 17 year old idiots can flame me and dispute me all you want, but do the research. Call a few good, well known engine builders and see what they say.

300excrazy98
02-12-2006, 04:55 PM
ok ttt... what about this 80w? is that the prefered oil

KX250frider
02-12-2006, 08:37 PM
i had a kx80 not too long ago run klotz racing oil in it. you also might want to break down the motor and check the piston and cylinder for marks. I used the honda 80w oil for the engine too

F-16Guy
02-13-2006, 08:31 AM
Back to the topic. I like Silkolene or Maxima synthetic transmission oil, but 5w-30 motor oil will work just fine. There should be a drain plug on the bottom, a filler plug up top by the kickstarter, and I think it has a sight glass in the clutch cover to look at when you're filling it. I would also run a fully synthetic 2-stroke oil (Yamalube, HP2, etc.). It has a little better film strength for the high-revving small bikes, and it will keep the powervalve components much cleaner - castor based oils like Castor 927 will eventually gum everything up; run it at 32:1. Get a new NGK plug for it (a dealer will be able to tell you which one if you can't find it on the net). You will want to also drain and refill the coolant. You can use regular automotive coolant diluted 50/50 with distilled water. Lastly, clean the oil filter with hot tap water and dish soap, dry it, and then re-oil it with some foam filter oil. Good luck! My first bike was a KX 80; they're fast little bikes!

mine
02-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
Outdated:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Stupid young punk. Wait until you have to replace a top end on a new four-stroke and end up replacing valves and springs too. The 250 four-strokes are the worst. All of the manufacturers recommend replacement of the piston and rings at about 10 hours (Honda's piston and ring life is very short) with a max of about 30 hours on the 250's. Most engine builders are finding that even in this short amount of time valves and springs need to be changed, or you might experience severe engine failure. This is true on the 450's too, but with a minimum of about 30 hours and a max of 60hours between top end replacement. This can push the price of a rebuild as high as seven or eight hundred dollars. And you may have to do this 3 or 4 times a year. My outdated CR250 will go a full season on a top end, and even if it didn't, it can be replaced for about $150. All of you know-it-all 16 and 17 year old idiots can flame me and dispute me all you want, but do the research. Call a few good, well known engine builders and see what they say.

haha stupid young punk atleast knows that grant langston rides a 250F and not a 125 stupid young punk knows that bubba races a 450F not a 250 stupid young punk knows that rc and reed are racing 450f's and not to 250's same with all the quaders.stupid young punk knows that 06 is the last year of all 2-stroke quads (shee and blaster)stupid young punk knows that all natalie,gust,jones,byrd yokley etc all race 4 -stroke 450F's

so yea this stupid young punk knows quite a bit:ermm:

2001Toomey
02-13-2006, 12:04 PM
Why are you using quads for examples? Do you think they'd be riding 250R's or something?
As far as the bikes, the 4 strokes have an advantage in power, if you aren't racing, just get a 250 two stroke and you're good to go. Anyways, many of the pros say that a two stroke is still preety good for a tight supercross track. On wide open outdoor tracks, the four strokes really pull on the two's. Either way, a good rider versus a bad rider is more important than 50 horses versus 45 horses. I have an RM250, and it's got plenty of power for me, more than I can use on the track, but I am a begginner.

Blue250X
02-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by mine
haha stupid young punk atleast knows that grant langston rides a 250F and not a 125 stupid young punk knows that bubba races a 450F not a 250 stupid young punk knows that rc and reed are racing 450f's and not to 250's same with all the quaders.stupid young punk knows that 06 is the last year of all 2-stroke quads (shee and blaster)stupid young punk knows that all natalie,gust,jones,byrd yokley etc all race 4 -stroke 450F's

wtf!! I can go pick up a magazine and know this in 20 minutes, dont judge you knowledge by that

02-13-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Blue250X
wtf!! I can go pick up a magazine and know this in 20 minutes, dont judge you knowledge by that

y dont you read the whole thread douchbag do u even know wtf i am talking about:o

300excrazy98
02-13-2006, 06:57 PM
OMFG stop, this isnt a flame fest!

so i dont get this about the tranny oil, 5w or the 80w which one?

Rich250RRacer
02-13-2006, 07:27 PM

My post has nothing to do with who rides what, maybe you should learn to read while you're at school. Stupid young punk!

Toadz400
02-13-2006, 09:57 PM

I'm 17 and I couldn't agree with you anymore:ermm: . I was just going to comment on him saying 2-strokes are outdated. Two-strokes will be outdated the day a four-stroke makes the same HP with the same amount of cc's and can be rebuilt for the same price or less. And I mean FULLY rebuilt.

Toadz400
02-13-2006, 10:00 PM

You just proved how stupid you are by posting that. You do know that the only reason 2-strokes aren't being raced by pros is because of factory support? And as for the pros on bikes, it seemed to me that the ones that switched over to a 4-stroke did a lot better on a 2-stroke.

Rich250RRacer
02-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I'm 17 and I couldn't agree with you anymore:ermm: . I was just going to comment on him saying 2-strokes are outdated. Two-strokes will be outdated the day a four-stroke makes the same HP with the same amount of cc's and can be rebuilt for the same price or less. And I mean FULLY rebuilt.

Thank you, and not all teenage guys on here are idiots or stupid. But the ones who are can be easily spotted.:D

F-16Guy
02-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Why don't you a-holes use the PM feature to have a d*ck measuring contest? Thanks for crapping on someone's thread.:mad:
300excrazy98 - I PM'd you some more information.

Toadz400
02-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
Why don't you a-holes use the PM feature to have a d*ck measuring contest? Thanks for crapping on someone's thread.:mad:
300excrazy98 - I PM'd you some more information.

I realize that I did post on a different subject matter than what the thread was intended for and I'm sorry for that, I never do it and I'm always against it. But shouldn't you have PMed that to us and posted the information for 300excrazy98? Because you basically did what we did...:eek2: Okay enough of our bickering, let's let people answer the questions.

And to answer his questions with my opinions like I should've in the first place:
1.) Owners manuals usually recommend a 10-30W oil for the transmission.
2.) It really doesn't matter what kind of 2-stroke oil you use, but using the cheaper stuff will usually end up costing you in the end. Doesn't lubricate as well or will foul out your plug easier can happen running a cheaper oil. I would recommend Amsoil for 2-strokes, very high quality synthetic oil.
3.) No oil filter is needed.
4.) Chang out everything. Fuel lines, put in a fuel filter, clean out the tank, clean out the carb completely (it WILL be gummed up badly), new plug, make sure the intake is clean, possibly even check to make sure the piston is OK (check the rings and check to make sure there isn't too much play in the crank), etc. Just basically clean or replace anything that you think might go bad after sitting for such a long period of time. I would also make sure to check out all the bearings and bushings.

02-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Shut up noone gives a **** about who knows what...not everyone knows everything, who gives a **** how you learned it. Just answer the guys ****ing questions. This isnt a flame fest, act like a ****ing normal person. If you dont wanna listen to me fine, you deserve the Nut Tap.:cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Mxjunkie
02-14-2006, 11:28 PM

AMEN!! :) My banshee is more reliable then all my friends thumpers :p

02-14-2006, 11:35 PM
Remember Brett Metcalfe? He rode the 125 through SX and 3/4 of the nationals then switched to the 250f. He went from barely top 20 to inside the top 10. Coincidence? No. 4-strokes own racing.

AtvMxRider
02-17-2006, 05:29 PM

No you really are stupid

Toadz400
02-18-2006, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
No you really are stupid

Couldn't agree with you anymore.

mine - All the quad pro riders aren't riding 450F's. They are in the Production class, so they're actually riding 450's, not the dirtbike engines;) :eek: .