PDA

View Full Version : Help me!Mechanics What are your thoughts??????

tinner
09-30-2001, 03:57 PM
Ok I need some input.Finally I am picking up a project 250x for the wife.Now here is the problem.The engine had to have been run low on oil,when I looked at it the head/valvetrain was off.The rockers are trashed and blued,the cam gear is also blued,the cam was replaced but I'm sure the old one was trashed too.I have to take the cyl. off and want to see if the rod is also blued.Now he said that it still shifted fine when it ran and I don't know what the odds are on being able to use the bottom end over if the rod looks good.I also don't know if it could be that it wasn't run low,but an oil pump failure stopped oil from going to the top end.I have an engine lined up if I need it,but If I can nurse this back by doing the top end I'd rather do that.I am asking all this because I've never dealt with a problem like this.Thanks in advance,Jim:confused:

RideRed04
09-30-2001, 04:23 PM
By being run low on oil, some bearings might have siezed or close too it. Kick it over slowly and listen for strange noises. Prop the rear tires off the ground and run it through the gears (spark plug out to relese compression) with someone running the kick-starter. If it is all good, I say rebuild the top end. If you rebuild it, and that doesnt work, you still have a half good parts engine for your new one.

09-30-2001, 07:40 PM
I went through the same exact thing on my wife's 92' 250X. The oil pump outer rotor cracked and seized the pump up. I ended up replacing the rod end bearings(crank journal wasn't damaged luckily) and everything on the top-end, including the rocker-arm shafts. I did reuse the cam sprocket though. It toasted everything in the the head and I ended up having the valve seats reground and installed new valves and springs. When you rebuild, if there was any damage to the cam or rocker-arms I would go ahead and replace them so they don't wear each other out when you get it back together. If you do have to replace the rod/rod bearings pay real close attention to any shims/washers on the shafts in the tranny, it can be a real pain to put back together even with a service manual. Hope this helps.

tinner
09-30-2001, 08:10 PM
thanks guys,great info!Lets keep it coming!Thanks again,Jim