PDA

View Full Version : Need help with audio in car

hondaguy2
02-11-2006, 12:30 PM
I need some help about a subwoofer. I have never put one in befroe and was wondering how it is usually done. I have wired just speakers but know nothing about a sub. I just bought a sonyCDX-S2010 headunit yester day and hooked it up to my xplod speakers. Now it says that i can hook a sub up to the system and it has pre amp outputs. I was curious if i can just hook the sub right up to the back of the stereo or do i need an amp. Im not putting in a full blown system with like 8 subs. I just want a little 10 in ch sub for nice bass. So can any help me please.

Here is the stereo: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007P0UQM/103-0220330-1691071?v=glance&n=172282

pastfast125
02-11-2006, 01:01 PM
I don't know a whole lot about systems either but I'm workin on it in my truck......I'm not sure if that head unit has enough power to really push a sub...You may need to get an amp..but like I said, I don't know a whole lot, I'm sure somebody who knows more will come in and correct me.

Loser450
02-11-2006, 01:09 PM
You'll need to run RCA cables from your pre-amp outputs to a decent amp, then to the sub. For a 10" and just a little bass it won't take much, 350-400 watts. Buy a cheap one from Walmart if you're not serious about it.

MAaudioX10
02-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Can you run a subwoofer off of head unit power? Technically, yes. However, the life of your subwoofer and head unit will be a matter of minutes.

Here is the thing to remember, subwoofers play low pass freqs. only. CD players play high pass. Run high pass thru a sub long enough, you will fry the driver. Also, a head units output is a mere 17 watts RMS. Most drivers need at least 150 RMS.

Do it right the first time. Get an amp.

JDiablo
02-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Definelty get a amp.How many RMS is your sub pushing?Mine is 1000 and that is plenty loud for me.

hondaguy2
02-11-2006, 01:53 PM
I dont know how many rms exactly but I wanna get a sony xplod 10inch woofer cause the rest of the system is sony. Thats the only reason but may just get a walmart cheapy cause its not like i got a pimpin car or any thing special its just a 1991 blazer that i use as a daily driver.

hondaguy2
02-11-2006, 01:57 PM
I just found it the rms on a 10 inch sony xplod is 300 rms. I might have an amp laying around too. thanx for the help so far i dont really know alot about what you need to run a system but i can do wiring pretty well so that shoujldnt be too hard.

Stevie-D
02-11-2006, 02:03 PM
deffinately need an amp...
im running 2 12'' sony's..2 500w sony amps, and a pioneer head unit. the head unit only has one preout, so i've got the amps wired inline. theres a few other little secrets thrown in there too.... i've still got enough power to run another 12'':devil:

if you hook up a sub right into the head unit, it will sound like it's blown out. no thump to it...
do it right the first time...it's worth the money...i only paid around $600 for all my stuff. if you only want a little thump, just go to wally world and get the VR3 300w amp for like $50...thats what i started with...

hondaguy2
02-11-2006, 02:07 PM
yeah i think i am gonna do that how many watt amplifier is neccessary for a 10 in sub? its either gonna be a sony xplod whichis 300 rms or a lightning audio which is 100 rms. the sony is better but how many watts do u need to run a 10 inch sub.

pman03
02-11-2006, 03:48 PM
That VR3 300w from walmart should work fine. I have a 10" Xplod running on 200 peak watts in my extended cab full-size truck and it is plenty loud. A friend of mine has that VR3 amp running a MTX 10" and it pounds pretty good. Also, a good box makes big difference in sound quality.

hondaguy2
02-11-2006, 04:12 PM
thanks everyone plan on getting a vr3 amp and a sony sub or lightning audio sub thanx everyone alot for the help and now i know a little bit more about subs too.

pastfast125
02-11-2006, 04:16 PM
stevie D...you seem to know what ur talking about, could you help me out wiht my system a lil...Right now I have an amp, not sure of the model, it was put in before I bought the truck..and it is powering the stock speakers..I have a pioneer head unit...I wanna get another amp and run 2 12"s....I'm looking for something cheap now those, cuz I'm gonna redo it down the road...but I want something half decent..I'm only looking to spend like 250 for the amp and subs, can I get somethin slightly good with that? also what do you reccomend? Thanks.

Sry to jack the thread a lil, continue with you conversation :D

Stevie-D
02-12-2006, 09:53 AM
i paid about $200 for my Sony 500W amps. (you only need one though) i got the subs for about $70 apiece.. boxes were $35 apiece.
thats about $300 all together...you could build a smaller system too. i have a buddy who taught me how to do this stuff. he is running 2 cheap *** wally world amps and 3 cheap 10'' subs...but how he has them hooked up...it sounds really good:D now he only paid around $200 for his amps and subs, and made the box himself. pioneer and sony make decent equipment. can't really go wrong with them. if you need any help wiring anything, let me know.

400exc
02-12-2006, 10:01 AM
thanks everyone plan on getting a vr3 amp and a sony sub or lightning audio sub thanx everyone alot for the help and now i know a little bit more about subs too.

i got the lightning audio 10" subs, but havent got any amp yet, and havent hooked up the sub yet either, plan on doing it here soon, and i think the lighting audio subs look cool, and have a nice chrome bottom to them, but noone will really see it. Its a wal-mart cheapy, and like you said that u dont want much power.... same here. I just want some ok bass that someone can here me when i come in... lol

muddy400EX
02-12-2006, 11:30 AM
definately need an amp man. for 1 10" youd be alright with a 200 watt amp. ive got 2 10" Rockford P1's powered by a 500 watt earthquake amp wired in parralel and it'll bump pretty good:)

BLAZZIN
02-12-2006, 11:43 AM
just so you guys know rockford makes a sub and amp kit that is right around $130 PLUS TAX