PDA

View Full Version : Need cold start help with 300ex

mc1984
02-11-2006, 11:56 AM
The last couple of times I tried to start my 300ex it has been giving me grief. It used to start righ up even after sitting for weeks but the last couple of times it has been uncooperative. I need to try every possible variable with the choke and throttle but it just wont fire. It cranks over fine. I can eventually get it started but it takes a few aggravated tries. Once i get it running i need to keep the rpms up until its warm otherwise it wont idle on its own. I went through the carb and cleaned it very thouroughly a couple of weeks ago. I have the pilot needle set right where it says in the factory manual. Any input would be great.

Thanks for any help in advance!

badass300ex
02-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Honda's dont like the cold never did /.

pineway
02-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Try cleaning the spark plug off or maybe even get a new one depending on how it looks and how old your plug is.

2004exrider
02-11-2006, 07:51 PM
You wouldnt believe what a spark plug can do, thats what i'd try first.

Jimmy

#1rmman220
02-14-2006, 05:33 PM
my friends does the same thing always has and never will stop.

300ex 4lyfe
02-14-2006, 05:48 PM
i have a 300ex and mine does that but try to keep it in a warm area and keep the gas tank full try a new spark plug and a new air filter.. it helps me a lil but i still have to rev wen its being started

juspifool
02-15-2006, 08:23 AM
I finally found a way to get my 300 to start good in the cold weather. When I put it away, I turn off the fuel then let it run until it stalls. When I go to start it, I turn the gas on, kill switch to off, let it crank for a few seconds. Then I turn the kill switch on, put on full choke, and pump the throttle 4 times. It usually starts right up.

PolarisRider
02-15-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by badass300ex
Honda's dont like the cold never did /.

exactly;)

bwamos
02-16-2006, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by mc1984
I have the pilot needle set right where it says in the factory manual. Any input would be great.

1) Are you 100% bone stock on the intake and exhaust, with the airbox lid on? If you have an aftermarket filter and/or exhaust, the stock settings won't be quite right.

2) I always increase my idle slightly in the winter to help keep it running at startup.

3) Make sure your sparkplug wire is pushed all the way into the sparkplug clip boot. The 300ex wire likes to work its way out. You may just be getting a cold spark.

4) Also since it's winter... turn off the fuel, drain the carb bowl, pull off the fuel line, pour about 2 cups of the gas into a jar, and reassemble. May be getting condensation in your fuel. THe 300ex has a crappy steel tank, it likes to condensate in the winter. Always, store the 300ex with a FULL tank in the winter. Little air = little moisture = little condensation. Lots of air = lots of moisture = lots of condensation. ;)

300exOH
02-16-2006, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
1) Are you 100% bone stock on the intake and exhaust, with the airbox lid on? If you have an aftermarket filter and/or exhaust, the stock settings won't be quite right.

2) I always increase my idle slightly in the winter to help keep it running at startup.

3) Make sure your sparkplug wire is pushed all the way into the sparkplug clip boot. The 300ex wire likes to work its way out. You may just be getting a cold spark.

4) Also since it's winter... turn off the fuel, drain the carb bowl, pull off the fuel line, pour about 2 cups of the gas into a jar, and reassemble. May be getting condensation in your fuel. THe 300ex has a crappy steel tank, it likes to condensate in the winter. Always, store the 300ex with a FULL tank in the winter. Little air = little moisture = little condensation. Lots of air = lots of moisture = lots of condensation. ;)

Very good info.:D Especially about storing it with a full tank.

You may also try adjusting the pilot(air/fuel) screw. They are lean from the factory and the cold weather only makes it worse. I think these quads are set up from the factory for more summer like weather. If you haven't done any mods like pipe/filter/airbox mods this should help.