PDA

View Full Version : xc questions?

ryann mx68
02-11-2006, 09:22 AM
raced mx bikes for years. all i know is- gate drops,race, checkered flag,- doit again 2nd moto.

i think im gonna try local xc/harescramble series.

1st- what the heck is a harescramble?

do i need to refuel/pit/checkpoints, etc...

how long can you guys go on a stock tank? i think this series is around 2 hrs per race.

would i need a ims tank? more capacity.

how about some setup help? i was gonna grab +2 arms and axle, but if i like this type of racing that would be to wide right?

if you guys could get me going in the right direction.

im gonna get the stock susp revalved, but what about a-arms axle and stuff?

06 450r

heres the series iwas thinking about:

http://larrykeller0.tripod.com/sorcsfiles/DiamondbackFlyer2006.pdf

450robot
02-11-2006, 12:32 PM
shocks will be your first concern, a revalve is good, but you might wanna just look into some elkas

and +2 will be to wide for xc and harescrambles, o yah, harescrambles are woods races, like gncc

there are pit stops, but you dont really need to worry about it, unless your at pro level racing, there mainly just for google changes, and fuel ups, but i never worry about it

the most you will want is plus 1, and thats cutting it close, even with that you would want some 4+1 rims to narrow it down

instead of spending money on arms, just keep the stockers, they are great for woods, and with the extra left over from not buying arms, put into a good set of aftermarket shocks

i can ussually go 3 and a half hours before i go dead on fuel

which is more than enough for a race (im talking about the stock tank

so unless you have a highly modded engine, a tank shouldnt be a concern either, instead, use the money for a good set of skid plates, and bumpers, you will want the protection

zeus54
02-11-2006, 02:10 PM
and to add a few things to robot's advice i would check out a steering dampner like p.e.p. racing which is pretty cheap and basic but helps greatly, i have an ims tank and have ridden 6 hour race's i filled up close to the end of the race so i would say it isn't necessary. like robot said skid plate's are important (belly and swing arm). i do occasional hare scrambles/woods races in virginia there aren't to many realy tight woods sections that i can't fit through but i could go faster if i was stock width or narrower so keep that in mind.maybe a good bumper on the front and a good size grab bar. this might sound crazy but a friend of mine has a 450r with a warn 1.5 winch on it because he gets stuck ALOT in pennsylvania where he lives. read up on andy's 450r post for cross country racing

400EX Stud
02-11-2006, 03:36 PM
These guys are right. Except +2 will be fine if you go with 4-1 wheels. It will widen you out but the 4-1s will pull you back into stock width or +1 width. I've raced for 3 years on +2s. Most XC races are a quad and a half wide. But don't get me wrong THERE WILL BE spots that you rub both tires on some bark. Theres no need for a winch in racing. More weight you have to deal with and wear you out. PRM summit bumper is a good XC bumper. And I know it's just a personal preference but I prefer Axis shocks to elka. I started on elka and move to axis. I could tell a world of difference. But like i said that is just a personal preference

ryann mx68
02-12-2006, 05:36 AM
well shes pretty muck stock right now, ive got $2000 to get ready with.

i'll just be rec racing this, so thats why i was thinking about a revalve and springs. seems that everyone is happy with the outcome.

maybe its just quads in general, but when i was racing mx bikes- the suspension always sucked out of the crate.

you had to send your stuff to factory connection or pro-action and its like night and day.

thats why i have a hard time understanding tossing the stockers for aftermarket i guess.

dopeyferree
02-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Well if you only have 2k to spend here is what I would do with it.

Tires, ITP HD, Razr 2 or I razr, Kenda Klaw Knarley 400
Full skid plates, 300
Steering dampner, 150
Elka Sports and Racing Series shocks Only about 800 or so.
Fasst Flexx Bars 300
Hand Guards

trx400exxracer
02-12-2006, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by ryann mx68
well shes pretty muck stock right now, ive got $2000 to get ready with.

i'll just be rec racing this, so thats why i was thinking about a revalve and springs. seems that everyone is happy with the outcome.

maybe its just quads in general, but when i was racing mx bikes- the suspension always sucked out of the crate.

you had to send your stuff to factory connection or pro-action and its like night and day.

thats why i have a hard time understanding tossing the stockers for aftermarket i guess.

if you only have $2000 get some front Elka's send your shock off to Laz at GT thunder and get it valved for the link, get the link, then get a steering stabilizer, fat bars and tires and bumper , or you could just revalve and spring your fronts:huh