PDA

View Full Version : One Known Predator Defect

m1ke
02-11-2006, 12:24 AM
If you could name one known predator defect, what would it be? I really like the predator. I may buy one some day soon. :D

wolffie
02-11-2006, 07:36 AM
the intake system is hurrendous! as long as you replace that, you are pretty much good to go.

the only other "problem" i could think of is that it is a bit heavy! (410lbs i think?)

depends on what you want to do with it too! if you are in to aggressive trail riding, it is hard to beat a pred

i have a 2005 TLD Pred and i have run it hard for about 6months now, and i can report NO problems!

the oil runs through the motor and the clutch, so you need to keep up on your oil changes!! um....thats about it! rather than that it is a beasty machine!

if you go to www.nicholascycle.com and get their power package (Nicholas pip, intake, and carb mods) you can expect to go 4mph faster in a 300ft drag!!! that is crazy!

i myself am getting an HMF pipe, and bolting up a honda civic intake (hopefully sometime today:) )

trailrunner77
02-11-2006, 07:46 AM
I have a 2005 TLD and here is what ive had problems with, Rear master cylinder blown out( 1 month old), Reverse knob mount cracking and falling off( 6 months old) Grease seal in the axle carrier blew out( might be my fault may have gave it alittle to much grease, so i wouldn't blame that.

Other than that it's a great quad

the intake system needs to be junked and buy a rath system or nicholas system ASAP if you buy one!

m1ke
02-11-2006, 10:29 AM
How come the intake system is junk I wonder? I really like them.

wolffie
02-11-2006, 10:33 AM
the intake system is junk because there is a long 12inch boot that goes from the carb and connects to the lid. meaning, you cant really run the pred without a lid! also, airfilter is a paper car style (flat square) and doesnt flow very well!

the rathintake, Nicholas intake, clamp on K@N, civic intake, or any other clamp on intake would be an improvement. most people replace their intake anyways! you can choose how much you want to spend!

check out:

www.rathracing.com
www.nicholascycle.com

i just bought a civic intake from preddy08 for $30! check ebay for civic intakes! rath is like $90-$120, nicholas is $95, clamp on K@N $20-$50! check it out!

YFZ450Ridr
02-11-2006, 11:25 AM
how is the bottom end grunt on a stock pred? i know on my dads stock z it has crappy bottom end, power comes on about midrange. the pipe on mine gave it great bottom. is the pred raptor like with a lot of torque or more mellowed out like a 400ex?

smokinwrench
02-11-2006, 12:09 PM
The intake lacks a little to be desired. I have a hot seat perfromance intake for mine.

I have been around predators for a few years now. Budy of mine got an 03 when they came out and it was super fast. Then he got an 05 troy lee.

I had all plans of getting an 06 450r with the hrc kit. The 05 predator was $2,200 cheaper out the door. I can't see how the 450 is worth that much more.

I think if your gonna race 20-30 weekends per year you better get a 450. If your like me and race 5-10 times per year and most of them are 1 hour+ hare scrambles then the bike to get is a predator. As far as local riding the only 450 to beat me in drags was a 04 450r with 13.5:1 piston, full pipe, ported, intake, carb.

MAaudioX10
02-11-2006, 12:09 PM
I have an 05' and lost 4th gear in the transmission. Bike was 8 months old.

I do have to admit that Polaris did kind of step up to the plate. They covered my parts and I had to cover labor but, as far as Polaris is concerned, they didn't have to cover a single thing.

This IS the last Predator I will buy. I bought an 05' because, the transmission issues the 03' Preds had were suppose to be fixed. Ironic thing is, my 03' Pred with well over 250+ hours has not had 1 single problem with the tranny. Go figure.

I love my Predator and I will never get rid of it. In fact, I just dumped more money into this thing for a 558 big bore but, I will not buy another Predator or, its counterpart.

calds650
02-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by m1ke
How come the intake system is junk I wonder? I really like them.

The stock set up is too restrictive it has only a 1 inch hole to let air in. When I put the Pro Design air filter kit on I went from 155 main jet too a 185 it flow that much more air.

Predatorman500
02-11-2006, 08:36 PM
If you are going to get one then get an 2005 or newer b/c 03 and 04 do not have reverse and that sucks they are really heavy and they are hard to move around So get one with reverse
Trust me!!

jiffers
02-13-2006, 09:06 AM
what year honda civic intake must you use on a 05 tld

hard one
02-13-2006, 07:20 PM
1. transmission- if you stop in any gear but neutral dont bother trying because thr tranny locks it there.( try being faced up hill with your back to a tree and be stuck in third gear. i just left it and got my reliable 300ex to ride on)

2.tie rods- went out after two days the quad drifts all over the place.

3.throttle- if you turn the bars to far the throttle sticks.

Four the cc displacement the thing has chitty power

your beeter of getting a 450.

worst quad ever:mad:

hard one

smokinwrench
02-13-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by hard one
1. transmission- if you stop in any gear but neutral dont bother trying because thr tranny locks it there.( try being faced up hill with your back to a tree and be stuck in third gear. i just left it and got my reliable 300ex to ride on)

hard one

What year is this quad? How many hours are on it? How has it been maintainenced? So brand new tie rod ends wore completley out in 2 days of riding? If the throttle is sticking when you turn to sharp seems to me you need a new mechanic! Tell us about your quad.

MAaudioX10
02-14-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by hard one

hard one

1--Transmission. I have no arguements there.

2--Tie Rods. Not too sure what kind of riding you do but, out of the 6 or 7 people that I know, our tie rod are in good shape considering the style of setup.

3--Throttle. If your throttle sticks when you turn the bars, adjust the slack on the cable! Your cable is too tight.

For the CC's, the predator has more power than the Raptor 660R and DS650. Considering both of those are 650+ motors seems to me, you need to study up a little bit.

I am not too happy with Polaris and there are better quads but, to call it the worst is a reach.

Quad Boy 660r
02-14-2006, 07:32 PM
The only thing I dont like is the ergonomics.

The steering, brake and shifter placement, and seat are just wrong IMO.

I would have bought a Predator if it felt better, and the 03s had reverse.

wolffie
02-15-2006, 01:16 PM
^^^yeah i partially agree with you! i am 6ft 208lbs, and the ergos fit me decently, but you need to fit that criteria to feel comfortable on the pred! the toe shifter is extened which is good for my size 13 foot, and i dont seem to have a problem with the brakes or clutch but the seat is a bit of a nuisance! its not the seat itself either, its the fact that the intake sits right underneath it, hence creating a bump. it isnt a huge deal, and its not reall "annoying IMO, but it is deffinetly noticable!

PolarisRider06
03-09-2006, 06:41 PM
with my 05 LE i have only found a couple of things....

1. the stock aluminum PP grab bar is junk (i broke it pushing down on it the day after i got it when i was setting up my suspension, polaris sent me a new one, its still in the box and i made myself a wide steel one)

2. the bars are to low for my liking, i'm probably going to get an extended steering stem custom made for me

3. the stock PP/WB pipe is great but how the exhaust comes out it stains the fenders black really really badly...

preddymoto
03-14-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by smokinwrench
What year is this quad? How many hours are on it? How has it been maintainenced? So brand new tie rod ends wore completley out in 2 days of riding? If the throttle is sticking when you turn to sharp seems to me you need a new mechanic! Tell us about your quad.

polaris needs new mechanics. my throttle did the same thing. sticks. my remote line on the rear shock was also routed so that when the suspension compressed it acted like a scissors. my quad has been maintained like no other and it through the counter balancer through the front of the case and through a aluminum oil res.

Mud Roost
03-14-2006, 09:49 PM
hey, i was just wondering what part's are like for these things? are they expensive? do you hear of many predators with engine problems? ive been looking at a number of them, what a sharp machine.

MAaudioX10
03-15-2006, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Mud Roost
hey, i was just wondering what part's are like for these things? are they expensive? do you hear of many predators with engine problems? ive been looking at a number of them, what a sharp machine.

Motor problems, not so much. The transmission is a cause for concern on 03's and as of right now, I have only heard of 2 04' Preds and 1 05' Pred having problems.

1 of the 04' Preds has a 558 bbk, cams, and headwork and the 05', belongs to me. So, right now, I am the only person in the country, that I know of, that has had problems with their 05' pred.

I have an 03' Pred with 300+ hours on it with NO problems what so ever. I had this 05' for 8 months and BAM! Now, I have an 03' 558 motor with update kit in my 05.

So, here is what I suggest. If you buy on 03', become an expert on this machine, inside and out. Learn how to service and, possibly, rebuilt this machine. Otherwise, buy a 400EX. Not as nice but, A LOT more reliable.

Mud Roost
03-15-2006, 11:05 PM
i just came off a 400ex bad experience never again! i want something new and fresh!! it doesnt seem to matter you buy theres always something that is a little quirky , i am so confused . i would like to avoid overhauls all together !

smokinwrench
03-16-2006, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Mud Roost
i just came off a 400ex

I got rid of a 400ex to get my 05 troy lee pred also. THe 400ex isnt even in the same league with a predator. The predator is right with all the new quads. I would say the predator has the nicest riding stock suspension on the market right now.

I bought mine because a friend of mine had an 03 with absolutly no problems, he traded it for an 05 and it has alsways ran perfect. I have not had any problems either.

03-16-2006, 07:21 AM
it's a polaris=junk

03-16-2006, 07:27 AM
but i do like the way they do their rear axle nut

wolffie
03-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by hiperrider400ex
it's a polaris=junk

a little biased are we?:rolleyes:

Mud Roost
03-16-2006, 06:56 PM
typical ,usual honda junkie absorbed in himself , sad !

i smell insecurity !