PDA

View Full Version : carb help??????????

rc9876
02-10-2006, 10:21 PM
ok, so i have an older john deere trailfire 440sowmobile. the sled ben sittng arond for 2 yrs. so i pulled the tank, cleaned, replace fuel lines/filter, new plugs, and cleaned carb with carb cleaner. so here my problem. i start it up, and it runs good in the higher rpm, but if i stop givving it gas, it stalls out, it i let therpms drop, then give it gas, it bogs bown, then comes back. but wont idle for anything. i played with thesrews, but nothing. whats wrong with it, and how doi fix?????????? i dont get carbs!

Mxjunkie
02-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Jetting, Take the needle move the clip on the needle one up and see how it reacts, should run better because its getting less fuel because the needle is going further down inside the jet..

When its cold out the air molecues in the air are thin and it makes the motor tend to have more gas then air going into the cylinder. Thats why you see everyone changing their jetting so much in the change of seasons, I've had to change mine twice this winter

Mxjunkie
02-10-2006, 10:29 PM
I almost forgot, pull the plug and tell us what color down inside the plug is.

white= lean

rich= black/wet

perfect= tan

02-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Just take the carb off, it's un neccisary weight.

02-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Just kidding. What MXJunkie said.

ShiftFMX
02-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Josh, quit acting like you know what ur talking about...:o

*sheeshh*

Toadz400
02-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie
Jetting, Take the needle move the clip on the needle one up and see how it reacts, should run better because its getting less fuel because the needle is going further down inside the jet..

When its cold out the air molecues in the air are thin and it makes the motor tend to have more gas then air going into the cylinder. Thats why you see everyone changing their jetting so much in the change of seasons, I've had to change mine twice this winter

Actually it's exactly the opposite. The air is much more dense during cold weather and thus there is more oxygen which creates a leaner condition in your carb. That's why you have to go higher in jetting during the winter.

I would disassemble the carbs entirely and clean them out good, make sure nothing is clogged or dirty. Then I would make sure that the air screw is set right (probably 2 to 2-1/2 turns out) and that the idle is set properly, which it sounds like it's not. But if you keep messing with the idle screw and it's not working, try adjusting the needle to allow more fuel in.