PDA

View Full Version : 416/426 Bores?GT Thunder Studs?

LightningEX
02-10-2006, 09:16 PM
First off to get a 416 or 426 bore what has to be done?Is it just a bore not a sleeve?Is a 426 much better than a 416?In either of these applications should a GT Thunder stud kit be used for the cylinder or head or whatever?Where can I get gaskets for a 416 or 426 bore?Thanks everybody for the help!

Ron

Got_Mort03
02-10-2006, 09:26 PM
well personally i would start with a 426 i rode one of my friends and he has a 416 in his and i couldent tell the difference between that and a stock 400...i went and put a 440 in mine and have to constantly work on it. i never put bigger studs in mine first off and they ended up getting stretched and it started leaking oil. studs would be a plus, i would start with a 426 though ive heard that they are pretty peppy with that bore. good luck

bradley300
02-10-2006, 09:28 PM
with god headwork, a 416 is all you will need. the 426 do not use a sleeve and the cyl. walls are very thin, the 416 should be more reliable. anytime you build a 400ex, i would recomend the hd studs

LightningEX
02-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Yeah I was just reading another post I didnt see before on 416 vs 426.It seems the 416 winds pretty good.I think Ill go 416 because of the added life and Ill use the GT stud kit.Now just for future reference where does it leak if you dont put the studs in?Between the cylinder and the head?

What stage cat would be a good idea with this?Stage 1 or 2?I was thinking of using the stock valves and springs rockers etc on it for this build btw.Good idea?

Thanks for the help.

prepracing
02-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
with god headwork, a 416 is all you will need. the 426 do not use a sleeve and the cyl. walls are very thin, the 416 should be more reliable. anytime you build a 400ex, i would recomend the hd studs

426 does not require a sleeve, but a sleeve is available for it if u want to go that way. I run a 426 bore on stock sleeve and have never had any heat issues ( only mod I have is oversize vented oil tank and airshrouds to vent air to the oil cooler ). HD studs really only needed if u go over 11:1 compression on the 426. When ever u order head gasket u just need to specify what bore u have...Cometic gaskets are good ones. Contact C & D racing here from this site and they will be able to give u all the info. and pricing u need for whatever u decide to go with

Rico
02-11-2006, 07:42 AM
I run a 10.8:1 JE Piston and recently pulled a head stud and had to have the Heavy Duty GT THunder ones installed. It's not a must to have done but if you got the cash and want a good strong reliable motor I say get R dun....:D

LightningEX
02-11-2006, 07:45 AM
Thats what I thought about the studs.Should that high resistance chain I hear about be used as well?Thnaks.

Rico
02-11-2006, 11:04 AM
The CRF cam chain would be a nice upgrade also. If your that far into the clutch put an 8 plate kit in the mofo too if you really want to put the power to the ground..:macho

LightningEX
02-11-2006, 11:41 AM
So how hard is that chain to install?Do I have to have it done?Split the cases?Thanks.

quad71
02-11-2006, 03:33 PM
no you dont have to split case get the chain . get the studs to

Shawn H
02-11-2006, 06:21 PM
You can get by with out the studs but I highly recommend them, my buddy had his Hi-comp . 440 for ahile before they finally stretched. I drilled and installed the studs and it has been fine since..

Cam chain good idea too

F-16Guy
02-11-2006, 07:21 PM
I just pulled a head stud, too. My cylinder is at GT Thunder waiting for me to call and pay for it:cool: The problem is usually the forward head stud, which is closest to the exhaust, so the aluminum gets hottest there. The molecular structure of the aluminum will actually break down at a certain temperature, which softens it and allows the stud to pull the threads out. GT Thunder uses larger, more coarse studs. They also use a roll form tap. That style tap doesn't cut metal away, it compresses it, so the threads are formed and the aluminum is much denser around the threaded area. Together with the larger, coarser studs, you get a lot more strength.

LightningEX
02-12-2006, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the info everyone.One question I have though is how does the chain go on if you dont split the cases?I guess I actually have two questions.Are the stock valves,springs,collars,rockers etc all good for this 416 build with a stage 2 hot cam?I figure buying the chain and bolts now while I might have some money will avoid gettin them all at once for more cash at once if and when I decide to go to a 440 or such.Thanks again.

quad71
02-13-2006, 10:45 AM
take off the clutch side cover to replace chain. go to motosportoutlet.com click on factory honda parts this will help you see what motor looks like in side. also go to hotcams .com for info on cams