PDA

View Full Version : New 416 kit jetting questions...

Wired
07-14-2002, 07:04 PM
ok i have some jetting questions with the setup im running.

setup: 416 (10:8:1 i think...), modified air box cover, snorkal removed, twin stage air uni filter, choke removed, T-4 slip on exhaust, hotcams stage 2 race cam, running 50/50 110 race/pump gas.

heres my current jetting : needle 3 notches from the bottom, 165 main and a 38 pilot.

it feels real boggy on bottom end with a slight hesitation but when you hit half throttle she takes off. what do some of you guys recommend for jetting? i live in southern minnesota too so if that matters at all. i just got the 416 broken in too so i'd like to cure this jetting problem asap. oh and it idles a little rough i noticed that and its ALOT easier to stall now too. let me know guys even though this jetting question gets old for you guys but its the best way for us "carb idiots" to get answers as soon as we can. thanks for everyone who response with a positve post.

jon

Wheelie
07-14-2002, 08:04 PM
Install a #42 pilot jet and set the mixture screw at 2- 2 1/2 turns.

Wired
07-14-2002, 08:07 PM
thanks i'll try to get the pilot jet tomorrow and give that a try. keep em coming guys! :)

400exRacerX
07-14-2002, 10:11 PM
I'd run a 40 or 42 pilot and rasie the needle to the 4th clip.

And it might be boggy because your running a lid even though its modified without a snorkel......not a good idea. I run no lid at all with the snorkel block off plate. Your 416 needs more air.

MIKE400EX
07-15-2002, 09:21 AM
Wired, that's also a good indication that the cam is too "big" for the application or use. The lower RPM's will suffer with that cam, it's pretty much the same as the WEB 450/451, HRC, GT Thunder etc.. A degree key will help the bottom come back a little, w/o sacrificing much if any on the top - but you'll have to use good gas. You could also try dropping a tooth on the front sprocket, if you're willing to give up a little top speed.

muff
07-15-2002, 09:58 AM
I'm kinda having the same problem, mine just has a 440 kit with a supertrapp slip on, its got a 160 main and a 38 pilot, and it doesnt idle at all, i tried to turn the idle up but the cable on the back of the adjusting screw broke off :(

I just threw a stock 400 carb on there and it ran good but it still didnt idle and it backfired some, i know it'll need a bigger main jet but what about the pilot and the clip, should i run a 42 pilot and the clip on the 4th notch?

Oh yeah and I'm running without the air box lid and a k&n and outerwear

MIKE400EX
07-15-2002, 10:53 AM
Muff, the needle clip in the 4th groove and a 42 pilot will get you very close. You may need to go up to a 165 or so main. You are not going to see much of a difference until you install a bigger cam. Then it'll feel like a new bike!

07-15-2002, 12:31 PM
I'm running

42 pilot
165 main
No airbox lid or snorkel
air screw at stock location
needle clip 4th notch up

No bogging anywere, starts 1st try, and I have to kinda agree with norm,,you probably need more air for that sucka..:D

Wired
07-15-2002, 01:33 PM
well i got a #40 pilot jet today im going to give it a try. get this i drive to the honda place thats an hour away from where i live and they dont have them on hand, so i said well what would it cost to get it ordered, 11 frickin bucks! i said the **** with that and i'll keep looking. so i went to the yamaha dealership, they had a #40 but the next biggest size they had was a 50 so i said i'll try the #40. they GAVE me the #40. talk about a joke from the honda place... well if it doesnt help on taking out some of the hesitation i'll try raising the neadle one notch otherwise if that doesnt work either, i'll come crying back to you guys ;) thanks for the help so far :macho

07-15-2002, 01:48 PM
I'm almost postive the 40 pilot and raising the needle will solve your problems dude..good luck. But go ahead and get a 42 on order so it will help ya out when the weather goes back cold..:(

ccole400EX
07-15-2002, 02:12 PM
If she's boggy off the bottom end it's not your needle or main it would have to be your pilot or you r air screw. I didn't change my pilot jet at all and mine would start all day long on the first try and know choke. I did have bogging on the very bottom when i would hit the throttle of idle but adjusting the air scew took care of that. I started at 3.5 turns out and worked my why in about 2.5 it ran perfect.

Wired
07-15-2002, 02:57 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

holy $hit!!!!!

rico i put in the #40 pilot jet and my needle was already on the 4th notch but man......... i started it up, she idles perfect now, doesnt even feel like its running hard. i also took off the air box lid so that might have helped too but man is it ever snappy! i can goose the throttle on any gear and it wont even hesitate even for a split second. im not use to spinning the tires like this though. i'll have to learn throttle controlling for once ;) thanks for everyones help, i finally got the beast tuned in. i love it! :devil

this site rules!!! lol :macho