PDA

View Full Version : are 450's alot of maintenance?

h400exrydr
02-10-2006, 05:04 PM
Hi i am just wondering what you all have to do to a stock 450r to keep it a good, fast race machine. My friend has a built 450 wit about 50 hp and all race season he didnt have to do anything wit the motor. Will my stock motor be like this? like jus clean the air filter and change the oil. should i b alright? i just sold my 400ex and i was sick of fixin it all the time, and i dont want to have to wory bout that wit the 450r. thanks

PADZZ
02-10-2006, 05:25 PM
I change the oil/filter every other ride and clean the air filter when needed. Never had a problem.

goldrims04
02-10-2006, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by PADZZ
I change the oil/filter every other ride and clean the air filter when needed. Never had a problem. same here and check for lose nuts and bolts and oil the chain also change the tranni fluid

Eric_Winkworth
02-21-2006, 06:52 AM
I dunno, I think the 400EX's are mor tank then the 450R's maybe not as far as axle bearing because the R is equiped with the double row.

But the motors the 400ex motor will outlast the 450, in the same condition. I think the 450R is alot more performance fer sure!

RIDER11X
02-21-2006, 10:09 AM
You had to work on your 400ex all the time???? Was it highly modded? Given that the 400ex is one of the most trouble free motors to ever go in a sport quad, that seems weird. The 450r is more high performance, and with that type of motor comes more attention as to how it is kept. Stock though, I'm sure it will be at least as good to you as any other 450 racer on the market. Honda builds tough motors, and the 450r is of the same heritage. Look at their Baja performances.:cool:

QuadJunkies
02-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
You had to work on your 400ex all the time???? Was it highly modded? Given that the 400ex is one of the most trouble free motors to ever go in a sport quad, that seems weird. The 450r is more high performance, and with that type of motor comes more attention as to how it is kept. Stock though, I'm sure it will be at least as good to you as any other 450 racer on the market. Honda builds tough motors, and the 450r is of the same heritage. Look at their Baja performances.:cool: agreed.

h400exrydr
02-21-2006, 05:06 PM
well right whne i got the ex i had alot of trouble with it. the motor was stock. the first thing that happened was the cylinder got glazed, i dont exactly no wat that means, but my builder told me that. then after it was built again, it was still all stock parts, and then somehow it started smoking and it was using oil like crazy, and i took the top end apart and there was a huge gouge in the side of the piston and the sleeve. Then i got a new stock piston and sleeve and stuff and after about 10 hours on that rebuild it blew a head gasket so i had to change that. then after that i was like screw this and i built her up. then after about 10 hrs on that the cam chain tensioner broke and it jumped time and valves hit piston and bent them. so then i put some kibble white valves and a new cam chain and tensioner and then i put it all back together and broke it in, raced it 2 times and sold it. and it was running incredibly fast after that. i think i should b alright wit the 450 too. thanks guys!!

trxHRC450r
02-23-2006, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by h400exrydr
well right whne i got the ex i had alot of trouble with it. the motor was stock. the first thing that happened was the cylinder got glazed, i dont exactly no wat that means, but my builder told me that. then after it was built again, it was still all stock parts, and then somehow it started smoking and it was using oil like crazy, and i took the top end apart and there was a huge gouge in the side of the piston and the sleeve. Then i got a new stock piston and sleeve and stuff and after about 10 hours on that rebuild it blew a head gasket so i had to change that. then after that i was like screw this and i built her up. then after about 10 hrs on that the cam chain tensioner broke and it jumped time and valves hit piston and bent them. so then i put some kibble white valves and a new cam chain and tensioner and then i put it all back together and broke it in, raced it 2 times and sold it. and it was running incredibly fast after that. i think i should b alright wit the 450 too. thanks guys!!

dude, u need a new mechanic

lumi
02-23-2006, 08:11 PM
oil change, and just check ur valve clearances every 50 and maybe adjust them every 150 or so hours depending on mods. funny the honda service book says to check them at 200 hours, so seems reliable if its coming from honda mouth. but depends on which year 450r cuz the new 06 ones seem like they need another step in maintenance because of the 12:1 compression more power means more oil changes, more frequent valve clearance checks (just to make sure ur valve clearances are not off of course) and maybe even a piston change ervy now and than according to honda. the new 06 hrc manual for the hrc kit says to change ur piston or something every 20 hours after the kit is installed lma0o0o so everytime u change ur oil change ur piston... seems worse than my banshee. can anyone elaborate on that booklet for the hrc. typeo or something?????? also what would be the piston change timetable for a stock 2006 450r? 40 hours lol..

blake_mx_racer
02-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Ive had mine for almost a year and only have to change the
oil(s), clean the filter, lube the chain, and i have only had to tighten my chain once the whole time i have had it.

02-23-2006, 09:23 PM
ur mechanic sucks man

h400exrydr
02-24-2006, 01:59 PM
its not that my mechanic sucks bcuz he builds race car engins.....it is jus more that i had alot of parts that were worn out and the stock air filter had a tear in the bottom and it sucked in some dirt. the cam chain tensioner broke so that isnt his fault. the head gasket was a cheap moose one. and the reason it did it the first time the guy t hat had it b4 me didnt no how to chekc the oil rght(let it idle for like 5 mins and let it sit) so he jus kept adding it and then there was too much oil and it glazed the cylinder. then after all of that sh*t i did the work my self ....building the 416 and it has been running perfect since i did it.