PDA

View Full Version : thinking of buying this 250r, is it Trail freindly??

firebug
02-09-2006, 10:57 PM
I am looking at buying this 87 250r, the mod list is below. I can get it at a great price but I have to drive 4 hours to ride/buy it.

The only doughts I have right now is that the frame has been welded on a little and the fully adjustable +2 a-arms long travel. the a-arms are awsome for racing and when I go to the dunes this april but Im afraid they might be to long and to low in the trails. Also this thing is setup to mx, i guess I can find some stock suspension parts for the trails. but will the longer a-arms and lower stance ruin the trail riding?? I can post a pic but there really isn't much ground clearence.

Also my buddy said that sence its been ported and has a bigger carb and pipe that I will probabaly always have to be on it, no putting around. is that true?? I have been doing alot of research and I really really want this thing, but it might not be the right one for me since I don't mx. but I will do some drags here and there to support the 2 strokes ;)

Mod list

Nac's ported top end
38 Keihin Air striker
FMF full exhaust
Works long travel front shocks triple rate with comp
adjust rezzies
Pro-action revalved rear shock
Lonestar swingarm
Antivibe stem
Fully adjustable +2 a-arms long travel
renthals
Holeshot mx tires
.190 wheels
Maier low pro rear plastic, race front
AC propeg nerfs
AC bumper
ESR billet case saver
Aluminum radiator scoops
Tag grips
V-force reed cage
Durablue rear adjustable strut
Durablue 2+2 axle, eliminator

bananas
02-10-2006, 05:19 AM
A 250r in the woods is fun but you must be an aggressive rider..
I ride plus 2" with 20" & 21" tires... Some times I will run 22" & 23". You can't just putt around. You can change your gearing to make it better too if you want too...

firebug
02-10-2006, 06:16 AM
well I can just adjust my riding style for the trails, I am going to go look at it this weekend. getting it for $2400 so its really a hard deal to pass up.

Lonestar_R
02-10-2006, 08:18 AM
I love my 250R in the woods...I think I am way faster on it than my 450R in the woods......I have no problems with plugs or anything....but I ride pretty hard and keep the revs up all the time....

86-250Rnut
02-10-2006, 09:39 AM
WOW!! 2400 bux for those mods. thats a great deal, i woudl jump on it before sombody else does.
good luck
Mitch

ohh and R is a nice woods machine. if your not that aggressive of a rider you can gear it down and get diff tire sizes and things like that. but that is 1 heck of a deal and i think you should get it.

firebug
02-10-2006, 09:46 AM
did they issue titles out in 87?? he said they didn't and it seems fishy

Cr85rRida
02-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Na i dont think they have titles back then. Not sure tho but im like 85% they didnt. I ride my R in the woods, Its a great woods bike the power is there when you need it and its light and nimble.

hondardr4life
02-10-2006, 12:59 PM
I don't believe that they issued titles until 1988 or 1989. It doesn't really matter anyways, not many R's have titles anymore.