PDA

View Full Version : How the He!!

Foxrage
07-14-2002, 04:38 PM
Do you guys get the courage to hit these big jumps. I have a 30 ft double that send you about 10 feet high and i just cant get the nerve to hit it hard ill hit it easy. It is hard on the shocks when i barly hit it im afraid if i case it my shock and everything is going to blow out. I guess either get the guts or wait for shocks??

07-14-2002, 06:39 PM
I was in the same boat. There was a place I used to ride that had like 30ft doubles. I was afraid but then i said *****. I told myself that i wasn't going to case it so i went tearing in to it and over shot it by about 15ft. I crashed and flipped and rolled and tumbled. I got back up flipped my quad onto its wheels. It hurt but i wouldn't have done it any other way. Overshooting is better than caseing. You just got to tell yourself you'll make it.
Now I can hit 65 footers.

Razorback
07-14-2002, 06:58 PM
i haven't been hitting big jumps for long, but there is one thing i can absolutely tell you. it is MUCH better to hit something hard, then to let off. letting off will get you hurt much more often than hitting a jump hard. the best thing to do is to roll through jumps a few times, then hop over the first part easy a few times, to help get your timing and figure out how fast you need to hit it. then hit it hard.

another tip too is to be in the right gear which will be a little more wound out. in other words, if you're in third gear, but just doing a little more than lugging, you're better off hitting it harder throttled in second gear.

lastly, be confident, but respectful of the jumps. if you get scared, you're going to get hurt.

Nausty
07-14-2002, 07:43 PM
start small and work your way up:)
Here is me this weekend all the jumps at our track are pretty small because its either a bunch of older guys or their kids so no one wants and 60 footers:D we're still building a kicker though, we are getting material for it and we got our plans and we are gonna put it far in front of this jump.

Nausty
07-14-2002, 07:45 PM
heres me at the gravity cavity at bussey. I'm the only quad i've ever seen hit it and clear it. We had a tape measure out there and I was landing past the top part and measured it to 65ft on my biggest and thats about right on. This jump is pretty fun you drop down into this area in about 3rd gear and you are swooping down just trying to hang on and clear it in 3rd gear pinned. its really a pretty big hill with a lip on top. And i've cleared it on my 125 which is definitely a challange for that thing.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid20/paef707c1e60724fdd9893eeec8a2b600/fdba0793.jpg

Foxrage
07-14-2002, 08:41 PM
Well I was gettin ready to hit it when my friend whas hitting my small double and was goofing off and cased it bad and broke his foot peg clean off on his dirt bike so i spent half the night trying to fix it. So i plan on hitting it tomarrow. I land at the fase of the landing idling over it in 2nd so tom im going to hit it in 2nd about 3/4 throttle and blip it right at the end.

Also i dont have all the equipment to build a track do shovels are the best we can get and so far we have a 45 foot triple/20 double a 30 foot double and a woops kinda/ rythm section. I was wondering what else we could build? I plan on a real woops section soon and i think next is a table top. What do you guys think?

Here is what our woop / rythm section looks like

take off /\/\/\ land /\ land /\ land /\ land /\ land

kicken250x
07-14-2002, 10:31 PM
dont bip it right at the end. i found that one out the hard way!i did it but the only thing my wheels did was spin so the threw the bike out from under me and i got hurt to say the least so dont do it!

airheadedduner
07-14-2002, 11:58 PM
Hold a steady throttle when going up the face of a jump, never blip it at the end. I go through this a lot doubleing dunes, judgeing how fast to hit a double takes practice. If you can, hit it way slow and see wheere you land. If you think its a 4th gear jump, hit it in 2nd adn see where you land. It all comes down to experience. You will never know till you do it. After a while you will be able to look at a jump and tell what gear you need to be. The best thing you can do is clear your mind, the only thing you should be thinking about is what it will take to land the jump. Don't sit there and think about, "what if I crash." When we build a new jump I will uasually roll it a couple times, walk off the distance, and go for it. You will want to over jump it a little first. From therre work your way to landing it right.

Foxrage
07-15-2002, 08:44 AM
Ok Well what should i build next im going to go hit it and start digging fo a new jump?

Sleeping Catfish
07-15-2002, 12:43 PM
i always blip the throttle before going off the jump, if i don't i nose dive. i tried going off it at a contant speed and pulling back and i nose dived. the only problem i have with blipping the throttle is every now and then i fish tail. i started out with a small jump and added a foot to it every now and then. i have no landing ramp but i get about 6-8 foot of air and the jump is about 5 feet high and i hit it in 3rd pinned.

Sleeping Catfish
07-15-2002, 12:48 PM
what do you mean by blip? at about the last ten feet i jam the throttle and hold it. is that blipping the throttle? how do you keep the front end up in the air?

07-15-2002, 01:13 PM
"jumping big air dont scare me, its the crash landing im worried about"

I am not into super big triples or anything but one simple bit of advise for any beginner is that if you see yourself making it in your head you have a lot better chance than if you see yourself caseing and fliping.

what do you mean by blip?
Blipping the throttle (full throttle just before you crest the hill etc.) works great on smaller jumps without any landing. Try this on a jump with a decent lip and your going vertical.

I remember the first time I had jumped the 400 it was the first ride and I was used to the nose heavy warrior, well it was a full vertical jump for me and thankfully it fell forward and not on me when it landed (funny the rear brake didnt help much : ). What a rush though.

07-15-2002, 01:14 PM
blipping the throttle kind of depends on the jump...smaller doubles and what not,,,I hold the gas all the way to the jump and about the time my front wheels hit the bottom of the jump I let off the gas almost all the way and then blip the throttle to keep the front end up..if your really good you can approach a double with the hammer down and let off at the last second and make your front end dive to land perfectly on the down side of the double,,this will get you around a track alot faster if you can do this,,but it can be dangerous if not done properly,,it just comes with practice and being familiar with the track your at. There's also smaller jumps that leaving the throttle on the entire time will cause the nose to get to high,,I practice at at track were I have to have 4th gear pinned to make an uphill double,,but that's about the only jump I ever leave the gas on the entire time.:blah Getting the feel for your quad and lots and lots of practice will make things easier down the line,,just don't push it to were your endangering your life or health..:blah

07-15-2002, 01:15 PM
Just a thought but why is it that we can have no problem with a say 50ft table top but take out the dirt from the center and whoa it all changes?

07-15-2002, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Just a thought but why is it that we can have no problem with a say 50ft table top but take out the dirt from the center and whoa it all changes?

Ain't that the truth..:devil

Foxrage
07-15-2002, 02:24 PM
I always blip the throttle works best for me and my jumps.

Razorback
07-15-2002, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me

amen, brutha...table top = more room for error.

Sleeping Catfish
07-15-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by NACS400EX
I always blip the throttle works best for me and my jumps.

same here. it works for me so i will continue to do it.

kicken250x
07-15-2002, 10:15 PM
i think the reason you hate a 50 double but will jump the he!! out of a table top is because if you under jump a table top you hit the flat jump off of it and have a WAY better chance of waking away if you under jump it but that may not be the case on a double.

Foxrage
07-16-2002, 08:23 AM
Table tops take alot of dirt i would rather have a double like quad041 double. Double are more scary and challenging too.

250rmike
07-16-2002, 09:37 AM
i prefer doubles. i just think they are more fun. at the track i usually ride at there are jumps that are like doubles but its like a mix of a step down mixed with a table top. the jump top is higher then the landing and the center is even with the landing.

Rip_Tear
07-16-2002, 07:17 PM
Jumps can be scary. Most of the time I just like making sure people are out where I am jumping incase I do screw up. I usually get scared when a lot of people are riding aswell. I always think we will crash or I will do something dumb. I hate over shooting jumps I made just a little 1.5' high jump and over shoot it's landing by 15' and I though I was going to hit the landing that was a rough landing in the bush... damn thorns

07-16-2002, 10:09 PM
i think the reason you hate a 50 double but will jump the he!! out of a table top is because if you under jump a table top you hit the flat jump off of it and have a WAY better chance of waking away if you under jump it but that may not be the case on a double.
Good point and that would also hold merit to why most (including me) dont over cook the tables as bad as the dbls, and that can get ugly too.

at the track i usually ride at there are jumps that are like doubles but its like a mix of a step down mixed with a table top.
They have been trying to do something like this at one of the places I go to also but its a short one maybe 25ft max and you need to slow down a buch so you dont completely overshoot it.

Lorduss
07-16-2002, 11:01 PM
id just like to say thank god my local track is glen helen and its all tables, no doubles, sweet!
on the national anyways, they havent opened up the stadium cross yet since i started coming. awesome track though.

Foxrage
07-17-2002, 09:11 AM
Ya ill get some pics today after i finish one jump that is in the mist of being done. They are all not that great but you have to see that we are using shovels!!:macho

07-17-2002, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Lorduss
id just like to say thank god my local track is glen helen

Isn't that like 2.5 miles,,just one lap...that's a big track..

400exBro
07-17-2002, 10:15 AM
i find that if you are strating to jump doubles start out small like 25 feet, then work your way up (just like everyone else says) also with the 40 footer we are making the jump will look some what like this:

take off /\ 30-35 foot gap /****\ landing (5-10 feet long)
it gives you hope so you don't screw your self, you still have no soil in the center but you got a little table top for a landing so if you do mess up you can land on top....

other words keep the throttle steady and stand in the center of the bike,front end to high, hit the back break, front end to low, go wot....
have fun, don't play mind games with your self,i do it all the time and i chicken out, but once you hit the jump you will always want to jump it over and over again...
Bro

Doibugu2
07-17-2002, 10:29 AM
I read this thread a couple of days ago, and I went riding Monday at a place called Bong Rec. (yes, that is the real name Bong) that I have never been before. It's not a track or anything, just trails. Well the first time I went around I see this little jump. I saw it, thought of this thread, and said don't be scared. Well I hit it in a slow 2nd, and did not realize that there was a 4 foot hole behind it. Well that hurt. So the next time around I said, don't be a chicken and hit it with a wot 2nd. Well I don't know exactly what went wrong, but the back of my quad came up and hit my arse and nearly bucked me off and my feet came up and hit my hands on the bar. I guess I should have looked at the jump first before I tried to hit it.

250rmike
07-17-2002, 05:45 PM
hey nacs not to be an ***** or anything but you were thinking of getting a moto or converting ur quad to a mx quad. someone with a bike with the mods that u have or will have doesnt sound like the type that would be scared to jump a 40ft. double. now on stock shocks yea it sucks but with elkas or ohlins shouldnt be a problem.

roostin_dale
07-17-2002, 07:55 PM
that has to suck using shovels! My grandpa is buildin me a trauck with a dumptruck and dozer! Its gunna go through woods and an open pasture:D

airheadedduner
07-17-2002, 08:11 PM
i just spent the weekend at floence and found a huge step-up double. it was 40 feet peak to peak but you had to go 45-50 cause the first 5 feet of the landing was up hill. you also had to be about 6-8 ft higher at 45-50 ft then the launch. i got pics and will try to develop them asap and get them scanned and post them. on the way back i tried to hydroplane some water and crashed hard, ended up breaking my collorbone. typeing one handed sucks.

Foxrage
07-17-2002, 08:11 PM
yep all shovels i didnt get any pics didnt have and batteries. I made my 30 foot double better today so i should finally be able to hit it. And ill get some pics. If i could post videos i would take one of it.

Ride400exj
07-17-2002, 08:25 PM
I jump 35 -40 footers with my 400's stock shocks and its fnie but if i over shoot it will its a hard landing but i have a 40 foot dubble and i am fine with stock shocks any one feel the same with there shocks lol

Foxrage
07-17-2002, 08:42 PM
i have a 20 foot double and the take off is meant for a 45 foot triple and i land inbetween the double and triple like 2 out of like every 5 tries and now my fram is craked. :mad:

250rmike
07-17-2002, 09:00 PM
the stock 400 rear shock is great from my experiences but right now i have some stock 400 shocks on my r and they bottom out real easy and i weigh next to nothing compaired to some of the guys on here. so doubles hurt especially if u land wrong

07-17-2002, 09:02 PM
Get going the speed you want to hit the jump in and hold the throttle there. Once your in the air and you start to nose dive hit the throttle or if you start to pull the nose up hit the back brake and pull in the clutch.

When i think i am gonna case a jump i try to Brace myself andtry to get my front shock to hit first it seem to soften the wack.

Foxrage
07-17-2002, 09:08 PM
i would rather case it with my back shocks then my front with my experiences. if you hit with front you could filip hit with the rear could just hit hard or if you have good shocks just soak it up. What kind of PEPs are you getting??

Foxrage
07-18-2002, 05:09 PM
UPDATE!!!
Well me adn my friend spent most of the day makin a bigger and better landing. then well i let my friend hit it he has been ridin longer so i let him go first:D Then he hit it and hit and finall i jumped on came flin at it and hit it in about 2nd gear and let off a litlle before then right before the jump i laid into the throttle. Well i maid it and over shout our 10 foot landing making me get about a total of 40 feet and 10 feet high. and after that i couldnt stop hitting it. then i ran out of gas right as i was going fo it and cased it with my back tires and almost went over the bars. all and all a sweet jump and dangerous. L8er

roostin_dale
07-18-2002, 06:49 PM
never heard that one before....hittin a jump and runnin out of gas:eek:

Foxrage
07-20-2002, 09:12 AM
i didnt run out it just sputterd like its gettin ready to run out. and didnt have enogh to get over it. I will get some pics of it soon i just need batteries.

roostin_dale
07-20-2002, 10:08 AM
yea.....guess i shouldnt be laughin at ya! Raight after i posted that...we took our jet skiis out! Me and one of my friends were jumping them.....i went over a jump and the seat fell off! HAHAHA
My friend was puttin new spark plugs in and he didnt get the seat on all thy way!

At this lake we have like...wooden ramps. I fell off the back and hit it...ouch:eek:!

250rmike
07-20-2002, 12:33 PM
i was jumping a double at a track we used to have and i ran out of gas right before i hit it the first time. everyone thought i was gonna chicken out. it was the first time any of us hit the jump.

oj250r
07-20-2002, 01:12 PM
just go up to it the speed your comfortable with and be like ****it and hit it..you can never go to fast but dont go to slow.. i did something simple and my buddies said 4th would be to much and i hit it in hi 3rd and nosed dived.. it is always better to go fast..

Foxrage
07-20-2002, 02:31 PM
my friend came and did it. he nose dives cause there a is a lip what can he do to keep that from happening i dont do it and neither does anyone else what could he be doing wrong? Thanks

250rmike
07-20-2002, 03:28 PM
get him to let off right before the jump and rev it right as he takes off. also tell him to rev it in the air. that should get his nose up also lean back some i have the same problem some times

PismoGuy400
07-24-2002, 11:01 PM

amen to that, but take out the 50 and put say...a 30.....theres nothing much bigger than that where i ride....i would be scared sh*tless to try a 50 footer...

and about the ..."to blip or not to blip"....i always blip, but not full throttle, just enough to make the front lighter...if you have to go full throttle then so be it, but in some cases you just give it some gas and your set...

250rmike
07-25-2002, 10:04 AM
i just thought of a fix on how to get some as rico put it "church bells" build a table taop and when you can land that good take out the center and do then you can get up the kohones to do other jumps.

u know what i dont like. at my pratice track(landing mx) there are some jumps on one of the tracks that i ride that you have to let off way before the jump so you dont over shoot it on land really hard(ur pretty high in the air) anyone else have that problem. i would rather have to be on the gas and make it smooth then to have to let off and drift to the jump.

Foxrage
07-25-2002, 01:14 PM
Ya i know what your sayin you have enough space for a big jump or ar atleast enough speed but you have to let off. I guess it would be good for the people that dont ride hard and hard for the people that ride hard. Its more challenging also.

airheadedduner
07-25-2002, 02:34 PM
thats what sucks about my friends track. noone else but me and a couple others are willing to go big so we don't have anything over 40 feet.

07-25-2002, 02:37 PM
that you have to let off way before the jump so you dont over shoot it on land really hard

One of the small tracks(if you can call it that LOL) out here has a couple small tables that you need to slow down from a long lazy turn that you can get some good speed on. I have missed these more than once, and since I am no pro at jumping it been interesting t say the least.

Foxrage
07-25-2002, 08:47 PM
Here are some pics of my track and there are some vids on my website.
Here is the face of the jumps the one on the right is 25 and the one on the left is 30-35 feet.

Foxrage
07-25-2002, 08:55 PM
here are my woops things the things that are circled are the jumps.

Foxrage
07-25-2002, 09:10 PM
Here is my 30-35 footer the one that started the post. i made tha landing bigger and finally hit it. it was easy put also destryed my four wheeler.

Foxrage
07-25-2002, 09:13 PM
Heres my 25 foot double and i plan on building 2 more doubles right after it for a rythem section.