PDA

View Full Version : Changing pilot jet?

bobbys9350
02-09-2006, 08:00 PM
whats the easiest way to do this on my 06!?!?!?! i lossend the clamps and couldnt get the carb to turn, i didnt feel like messing with it i just wnet out and rode :) so whats the ebst way to do it? thanks!

QuadRacer041
02-10-2006, 05:10 AM
you need to take the carb completely out.

bpimpdaddy21
02-10-2006, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by QuadRacer041
you need to take the carb completely out.

You don't have to take the carb out completely. You can loosen the clamps and rotate the carb to the side of the fuel tank petcock and loosen the bowl screws. It is easier to remove the carb completely I think, but it can be done without removing the carb. ;)

honda350r
02-10-2006, 07:54 AM
The pilot can be changed without taking the bowl off..

QuadRacer041
02-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by bpimpdaddy21
You don't have to take the carb out completely. You can loosen the clamps and rotate the carb to the side of the fuel tank petcock and loosen the bowl screws. It is easier to remove the carb completely I think, but it can be done without removing the carb. ;)

well first of all i see you have an 05 NOT an 06.the carb are very differnt.yes if you really wanted to be lazy and take a chance on kinking a cable or breaking a sensor or braking a wire, not to mention dumping fuel all over the place, sure you can get the bowl off without removing the carb. its like saying you can pull your motor without taking the plastic or gas tank off. of corse it can be done, but why would you be so lazy.

QuadRacer041
02-10-2006, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by honda350r
The pilot can be changed without taking the bowl off..

same thing here. its not like your changing your main jet and its easy to screw in there. especcially when the carb is still on the bike.even if you take the carb off why struggle to fit that jet in through that bowl drain bolt.just take the 4 screws off and remove the bowl.

bpimpdaddy21
02-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by QuadRacer041
well first of all i see you have an 05 NOT an 06.the carb are very differnt.yes if you really wanted to be lazy and take a chance on kinking a cable or breaking a sensor or braking a wire, not to mention dumping fuel all over the place, sure you can get the bowl off without removing the carb. its like saying you can pull your motor without taking the plastic or gas tank off. of corse it can be done, but why would you be so lazy.

My bad, I did not notice the fact that it was an 06, so I don't know about that. But anyway, with the 05, the way the carb is on mine you would have to be a bull with it to break anything. You can drain the fuel out of the bottom of the bowl using the drain screw that drains it out the bottom hose of the carb. Its not like saying you can pull the motor without taking the plastic off. Its pretty simple to change the jet without taking the carb off, have done it before, but easier to take the carb off. And the ignorant comment "why would you be so lazy.", definately unnecesary.

bobbys9350
02-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Thanks a lot guys. so what excactly has to be done to change it?

bpimpdaddy21
02-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by bobbys9350
Thanks a lot guys. so what excactly has to be done to change it?

My recommendation would be to take the carb off. The easiest way to do this is take off the airbox, which also might require removing the rear plastic, I can't remember. Then, the carb will come right out. Before you remove the carb, there should be a screw near the large nut on the bottom of the carb bowl (on the 05, not sure how the 06 is). Loosen the screw, and the fuel in the bowl should drain out of it. Then, flip the carb over once you have removed it and take off the bowl. There will be the main jet right there, it will be sticking down the farthest. Right next to this is the pilot jet. You should be able to the pilot jet with the float off. Just unscrew the pilot jet, put the new one in, and reassemble. It is a real simple process. Now this should be similar for yours, as mine is an '05, but most carbs are similiar. Good luck!

bobbys9350
02-10-2006, 04:40 PM
THANKS!

bpimpdaddy21
02-10-2006, 05:52 PM
No problem!