PDA

View Full Version : College Grads...help

Bush0102
02-09-2006, 02:51 PM
OK here's my deal. I'm a construction management technologies major in my second semester of my sophomore year. I'm having a wonderful time here at college, i really enjoy learning, and i'm starting to become really active in my fraternity which has been a very fulfilling experience...basically i dont really want to leave...yet.

However, i live in one of the fastest growing and highest income portions of the state. I'm a couple months away from being eligible to get my general contractor's liscence. I had a good friend growing up whose dad was a very successful contractor and who makes millions a year building custom houses for higher income families in my hometown of Brentwood. I got a call from him today basically offeing me a job as an interim contractor/foreman with his company which is an incredible opportunity for me.

I was pretty exited, but after doing some thinking i decided I have a few problems with this.

first, i want to finish my education and live it up here at the fraternity house for as long as i can. I dont think i'm ready to grow up that much yet. i dont have a girlfriend right now either, and in the long run i have a feeling i'll probably meet my future wife here. leaving this place is going to have a huge negative effect on the social aspect of my life.

second, housing. My salary would be plenty to support me living on my own and probably being able to afford my own house and a brand new truck, but i'm going to be lonely if i do that! Plus, i really dont feel like moving back to my hometown yet. I still have friends who are still in my high school, and it would be kindof weird to be around them as a person with a career.

third, i dont want to regret leaving college. what kind of example is that for my future kids if i try to encourage them to go to college? also, if i were to leave that job for another company, a lack of a college degree may prevent my promotion.

basically, i feel very blessed with the opportunity to pursue higher education. I'd love to take this job, but i dont want to have any regrets about it...after all, i'm still only 20!

Do any of you college grads (or those who left early) have any advice for me?

jwick07
02-09-2006, 03:17 PM
STAY IN SCHOOL. You have the rest of your life to work and make money. Trust me more job opportunities will come along in your life. These few years of college are priceless and you will never make up for it by going to work everyday. I left the fraternity for a year and only went to school part time for a job and now looking back it was not worth it. Everything changes once you walk accross that stage at graduation, but until then take in every moment of it. With you might not see it now but the fraternity will open up many doors in your future.

Getting up and going to work every day SUCKS I wish I was still in school. The last few years to party and have a blast, do stupid chit with no regrets because its still somewhat accecptable because your in college:devil:

Phi Alapha Brother

02-09-2006, 03:30 PM
Depends on what kind of $ he's offering you. It would have to be around $100K/year to make me want to leave school. You can always take the job and get your employer to finance the rest of your college! Granted it would not be full time but you would have the best of the situation, make the dough and let someone else pay for your college!

02-09-2006, 04:40 PM
id stay at college

stevo3176
02-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Stay in school it is one of the greatest times of you life. Another thing is once you have your education you are set and you will have many door open for you. If you quit school many doors will shut for you that you may in time wish you has went for. The final thing is that being a builder is great when times are good (which is now). Things will not stay like this forever trust me and you may have too look for other jobs becasue there are tons on builder and no jobs. Then you can look back and say thank god I have my education and get a great job.

harescrambles
02-09-2006, 06:12 PM
I would listen to jwick07, what he says is true.

I am working in the (governors club) in brentwood, nothing under 3 mil.
id rather be in college:blah:

Bush0102
02-09-2006, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by harescrambles
I would listen to jwick07, what he says is true.

I am working in the (governors club) in brentwood, nothing under 3 mil.
id rather be in college:blah:

haha that funny...my parent's neighborhood is right off concord road across the street from governor's club (Bonbrooke), and the guy who gave me this offer built 47 houses in the GC.

those ponds have some of the biggest bass in the area!

02-09-2006, 08:24 PM
brentwood sucks

Bush0102
02-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
brentwood sucks

lol this coming from somebody from Cheatham County

SGA
02-09-2006, 11:19 PM
I think youve already answered your own question.

02-10-2006, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by Bush0102
lol this coming from somebody from Cheatham County man i was in Davidson county ...on the border but in Davidson county :blah:

crookedeyemoto-x
02-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Stay in school. I too went to MTSU and i promise you i understand the life there sooo much fun. Stay where you are at.

LTZ400rider
02-10-2006, 04:06 PM
what exacly will u be doing with this job? designing houses or physically building them? how much college do you have left and what are you goin to college for. ask the guy if he can have a job for u when graduate. im sure he will understand you want to finish your education