PDA

View Full Version : striped valve cover bolts

Quad Dude
02-09-2006, 02:28 PM
whats the best way to fix striped valve cover bolts. should i take them to a machied shop and have them fix them or just heil coil them. which would be stronger ?? and where could you buy heil coils??

vpofthedrc
02-09-2006, 02:49 PM
You can buy heli coils at any parts store, but I think they are junk personally. I prefer drilling and tapping.

Quad Dude
02-09-2006, 06:38 PM
i thought of that too but then i would have to get all different bolts

ride_red666
02-09-2006, 07:40 PM
i ended up taking mine to a machine shop because i couldnt find any helicoils that small with the fine thread, when ur tightning them just turn it till its tight not to the torque specs. i had the same problem.

luvmyex
02-09-2006, 07:40 PM
my last motor i used 2 coils in the cover and it held with no problems.

m1ke
02-09-2006, 11:01 PM
Dude I had the same problem, I tigtened them all to spec and the last one snapped. I was able to screw it out and am waiting for my 6x35 replacement, I'm damn lucky. Those specs seemed way too tight.

prepracing
02-10-2006, 07:13 PM
You can buy a piece of allthread rod in that thread pattern, and run it all the way down till you get to good threads, Then set your valve cover on and cut the all thread off just long enough where it sticks thru the cover and u can get a washer and nut on it. Acts like head studs...works really well. Then if that fails u can start drilling, tapping, helicoiling....etc. But thats a hec of a lot easier to do and works perfect

LightningEX
02-10-2006, 08:00 PM
I guess I was lucky.Mine just snapped so both ends are sticking out some and are quite accessable without taking parts off.:D Sorry guys....