PDA

View Full Version : Having some issues with the seat

dirtriderhoney
02-09-2006, 02:27 PM
It sounds really funny but I have the hardest time putting the seat back on my 03' 400EX. I don't know what the deal is but it takes me forever to get it back on properly. Are there any tricks that anyones knows on getting the thing on in record time.

Christine

huntr08
02-09-2006, 02:34 PM
just practice practice and more practice makes perfect... even tho all throughout your life with it, it will be a b**ch

PismoLocal
02-09-2006, 02:37 PM
i stand behind the seat, grab the rear fenders by the sides and bow them out by pulling the sides up, i place it on the quad so that the little hitch deal on the bottom of the seat is about an inch from the little nub on the tank, then i walk to the side of the quad push down on the top of the seat at front and grab the back and slide it forward at the same time. it probably takes 15 seconds tops.

ride_red666
02-09-2006, 07:51 PM
i put the left side on first cause it easier to clear the battery then. make sure the seat slides under the rollers and just push on the front down so that it locks onto the gas tank. really easy to do

troutman561
02-09-2006, 08:36 PM
like was said it just takes practice.. i used to have a hard time but now its like nothin

m1ke
02-09-2006, 11:05 PM
You almost have to hover it almost to where it sits when its mounted, lower it down right infront of the rollers, push the front down so it will slide in that "slot" on the tank, then push in a downward forward motion and it should click.

400exMO
02-10-2006, 07:29 AM
All those tips, also remount the battery in a new airbox, or mount it on front frame rail. I did second of the two and my seat goes on with my pinkie.

dirtriderhoney
02-10-2006, 08:38 AM
Is that done by alot of people? I've never heard of it being done in that way. Would you need a bigger air box or a special kind to remount the battery? Its really ****ed that I dont have issues with any other trouble shooting on my bike but the simple thing of putting the seat back on. LOL

rummerd
02-10-2006, 08:53 AM
a good aluminum airbox that mounts all your electrical inside is a good investment, as is an aftermarket seat latch like OMF's. If you would rather spend your money elsewhere, then you will get better at it with some time.

dirtriderhoney
02-10-2006, 09:06 AM
I never really thought of that, but its sounds legitimate. For wiring, are you referring to the wiring just from the battery or surrounding wiring as well that the box will protect. Is the aftermarket seat latch just easier to use? I can put the seat on with the exception of the front latching in to the tank. That part always wants to stay unlatched. Everyone has given me some good tips though so I will get better.

Franky G
02-10-2006, 10:30 AM
I got a UM airbox and its now a breeze to put the seat on!!

400exMO
02-10-2006, 12:04 PM
Here's the rear of my bike w/o the battery.
sorry dirty pics.

400exMO
02-10-2006, 12:05 PM
WHen I get things pc'd I'll grind off the mounting tabs.
Here's where the battery is now. I made a box type thing for it to rest on. I had to do acouple things like shorten wires and get new starter wire (longer). But other than that simple install.

m1ke
02-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Why did you move your battery?

stc416rider
02-10-2006, 01:07 PM
prob bc its in a crappy place

dirtriderhoney
02-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Thanks 400exMO! The battery seems like it was meant to be in the front, not on the side rear. The pictures are awesome. I'm def. a visual learner, so they help alot. Keep the tip comin'.

Christine

400exMO
02-10-2006, 02:47 PM
It was an easy process. Just make a mount for it out of sheetmetal. Make an L, use the old battery strap (if you can tell from pic). Shorten wires and mount things on battery strap. I did have to drill a hole in the from shock brace for the bottom battery strap. Get a longer positive battery cable and starter cable, like 1 dollar top. Mount everything up and you're done. Then the rear is clean and seat goes on easy.

dirtriderhoney
02-10-2006, 02:59 PM
LOL. Are you taking these pictures now or from previously. What is the grid looking piece in the front of the battery. Its silver and has grooves in it and two wing nuts. I'm really new at this whole working on my bike thing so bear with me. I dont want to **** anything up.

Christine

prepracing
02-10-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by m1ke
Why did you move your battery?

so the fenders/seat can be put on easily, and because that factory battery location S.U.C.K.S !

m1ke
02-10-2006, 08:41 PM
dirtbikerhoney if you aren't careful with electrical it can become a nightmare. You can really f thing's up if you arc it or don't seal the wires properely from metal-contact. but it looks good. . . . .

I really never understood why they put the battery where the mud/water cakes onto it...

dirtriderhoney
02-10-2006, 09:00 PM
I'm def into the idea of moving the battery. And question for whoever can answer, what does it mean to arc it. Referring to previous post.

prepracing
02-10-2006, 10:15 PM
to arc is similar meaning and what causes a short out, like if the wires were for some reason bare ( with no plastic around them ) and would arc ( short out ) against the frame or against another wire that was bare. Which if it did happen would mostlikely jus blow the fuse...then again if your wires were a mess it might just melt your whole wiring harness. Although I have never heard of anyone have that happen from re-routing wires to move the battery location

400exMO
02-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Just take it slow when shortening wires. Cut one at a time and make sure they're the same wire. Then hook them together and wrap with electrical tape. Just make sure there's either electrical tape or the rubber around them, no bare wires. If there's bare wires they can jump to another wire and F things up.

The silver grooved thing in front, I'm not sure what it is. You'll see it mounted to the frame behind the battery.

ride_red666
02-11-2006, 12:04 AM
i belive that thing is your rev box

400exMO
02-11-2006, 09:43 AM
No, thing mounted on left side of picture to frame is.

m1ke
02-11-2006, 10:27 AM
I suggest using heatshrink tubing on the connectionss, as this will seal the exposed wire from the elements....

pman03
02-11-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm pretty sure that the silver grooved thing is your voltage regulator.

Also, I agree with using heat shrink on the wires after you solder them together.