PDA

View Full Version : Big Problem Please Help

93MX6LSV6
02-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Ok so here goes, I bought 2006 Z400 on January 12 and have had no problems until now. Yesterday I rode it around for a couple minutes just in the yard and parked it. Today I went out as I had planned to ride with a couple friends in the woods. I pulled the bike out of the garage and turned the key on, and choke on and cranked it. It idled for about 30 seconds and the just completely shut off. I tried starting it bike up while choke was on and without the choke but it wouldn't start. I was like, huh, I checked to make sure the fuel was in the on position, it was, checked to make sure it had plenty of gas, it did. So then I pulled the spark plug out and put it back into the wire, held it against the block to make sure it was firing, it fired just fine. The spark plug itself wasn't wet, although it did have a little black residue on the last three threads and the electrode. The bottom of the boot on the spark plug wire did have a small amount of condensation but I think thats because I washed it two days ago. So I put the spark plug back into the engine. I tried cranking it again, but no luck. I then unscrewed the little gold screw on the carburetor and drained the gas out of it. Then I tried to crank it again with choke on and without the choke on. It still didn't crank. I then put it on the prime fuel position and choked it and it cranked right up and idled just fine. After it had idled for about 5 minutes I switched the fuel back to the on position and I hopped on and got ready to ride, when I press the gas it was like hesitant and started bogging and it shut off again. So I tried cranking it back up with the fuel still in the on position and choke on and then without choke on. Then I switched it to the prime position and choked it and it cranked up. So I rode for a while with it on the prime position, about 30 minutes later I was in 5th gear just cruising and it started hesitating and bogging again and then it just shut off again. I had to go through and drain the carb again and left it on prime and choked it and it cranked right up. Then a few minutes later it shut off again while in 4th and bogged down. I tried recranking it without choke, no luck, but with choke it cranked right up (keep in mind the motor is warm now and has been for about 45 minutes). This happened a few more times before I got home. I know this isn't normal, does ANYONE have any suggestions? The quad has about 10 hours on it. Thanks for any help!

Stephen

Titanium
02-08-2006, 06:47 PM
mine did that same thing. if u run it on prime it will quit doin that. another thing i noticed is that when u get below a half tank and the pet cock is set to the on position it will start to bog/hesitate like it is ur so u jus have to top it off or jus run it on prime. also run some fuel system cleaner through it because maybe u have some grit or sumthin in the fuel line or carb. but after a while my quad stopped doin what urs is doin.

93MX6LSV6
02-08-2006, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the response! I planned on going riding at a local area and camping out Saturday night, I hope my KFX runs ok!

Stephen

ltz400rider118
02-09-2006, 08:34 PM
you either have water in the carb or your fuel valve is malfuntioning. clean both