PDA

View Full Version : Cam/Rocker replacement

rubbersidedown
02-08-2006, 03:55 PM
I was curious how many people running the "drop in" cams replaced (not hardened) their rockers to allow for the difference in wear patters with the stock cam. And for those that did not (if any) have you had any perfomance issues? Thanks!!

pit/wood
02-09-2006, 07:23 AM
I have the same concern.once the pattern is established by the stock cam w/ stock lift and then you drop in a cam with more lift it has to establish a new pattern. Not only on the follower but on the transfer rocker also.There are alot of threads about ticking 400ex topends.most all occured after a drop-in cam was installed.I have seen the concern past off as "just the way it is with a drop-in cam,they all make a bunch of noise.I dissagree.I think that if you installed new followers and transfer rockers,as opposed to hardfaced ones,I believe that there would be no ticking.However the cost of new followers and transfer rockers is way to high from honda.so hardfaced rockers are the way to go.It would be great to talk to someone that bought a new 400ex and installed a drop-in before they broke the engine in.anybody do that,get back to me if you have

400exrider707
02-09-2006, 08:06 AM
The ticking noise you hear about with the drop in cams is typically only found with the stage 1 hotcam. The stage 2 does not have this ticking problem. I used a stage 1 drop in on mine, and did NOT replace the rockers, and did NOT notice a performance loss at all(obviously). When I did put in my cam, I visually inspected my rockers. The chrome plating was not worn all the way through, and that is what I believe to be the wear indicator. You could visibly see a mark on the rockers, but it wasn't grooved. Had they had a groove worn in, I probably would have replaced them.

rubbersidedown
02-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the replies. I am probably going to not worry about replacing the rockers either due to cost. If it was necessary then I wouldn't worry about it. But otherwise...spend that money elsewhere :devil: