PDA

View Full Version : sand tire ?

55belair
02-08-2006, 03:36 PM
what size is better. i've never road in the sand but plan on it this spring. so i know nothing about it. i plan on buying some sand tires for my 400ex. it has mild mods slip on, sprockets, cdi, 18'' rears 20" fronts currently. i mostly plan on goofing around and jumping a little i'm not looking to be the fastest person out there. i was thinking of going with 18" rear paddles thinking i'll get more rpm's and take off better, but i noticed most brands don't offer 18's. am i thinking wrong and if so why ? also are front sand tires terribly important i was thinking of just buying rears for now to see if i make it to the dunes very often versus the trails ?any advise in what i need and why would be appreciated.

thanks

rooster300ex
02-08-2006, 03:50 PM
i would stick with 20in or 21in rear sand tires. rocky mountain sells packages tire&rims. if i were you i would check out the tires and see what you like, and get the douglas .160 for alil more strength since you are gonna jump,or go with the thicker douglas's, itp t-9's are the thicker wheel also. the steel wheels are real heavy. i would stay away from them cuz sand takes away power, so lighter the better. for the front tire question, if you don't live in the dune area and dune every weekend front tires really aren't needed.

some good sand tires
sand stars
sand devils
kenda trakkers
kenda geckos
gliders
there are many more

55belair
02-08-2006, 04:59 PM
thanks for the feed back, but i still have questions. why 20-21 over 18's ? and i have ac pro pegs will the 20 or 21's hit ? i will probably get a package i'm not about to be changing tires and rims back and forth. i currently run douglas red labels i'll probably get them for my sand tires.

rooster300ex
02-08-2006, 08:52 PM
i said 21's because if you like the sand geckos they come in 21in. you won't have any clearance problems with 20's or 21's.18in tires just aren't good for the dunes from my exprience. 18in tires in the dunes will have your engine revved up hard alot and sand makes an engine work harder which will just add to possibly gettin it to hot. just my opinion.

as an atvriders.com member we have our right for our opinion. lol:D

DUNEZRUNNER
02-09-2006, 05:55 PM
A 20" tire with a 14 tooth sprocket will work out pretty good, that is what I ran on my 400. If it revs out too quick you can try the 15 tooth sprocket. Also dont buy Gecko's, they are way too hard and dont hook up very well at all. If it is your first time out and you dont know if you are going to do it much I would get some GBC Sand Devils 20x11x8. They are pretty cheap $140 on .190 rims and will hook up good for your bike and then if you spend more time at the dunes get some front sand tires with the rib and you will be set. It wont be the fastest but it will be great for you application and still wont be that expensive.

Hope this helps

Thomas

55belair
02-10-2006, 02:29 PM
thanks for the info