View Full Version : starting problem

drsnugfit
02-08-2006, 12:07 PM
Hello, I have a bit of a problem starting my R, when its cold I put the choke on and kick it over, it takes about 10 kicks before it suddenly fires up, once its running it is fine, pulls like atrain and starts first kick once warm, any ideas? my mods are:

esr pipe
high flow filter
38mm carb

cheers guys

hondardr4life
02-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Thats just the way they are. 2 strokes don't like to start very easily in the cold.

wilkin250r
02-08-2006, 02:13 PM
You might try richening up the idle mixture to make starting easier. But for the most part, it sounds fairly normal. They just don't like to start when it's cold, whether 2-stroke or 4-stroke.

tmoney
02-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Sorry man there not much you can do about it. Mine is the same way. Just try and hold out till summer. Two strokes dont want to start in cold weather.

TheFontMaster
02-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by tmoney
Sorry man there not much you can do about it. Mine is the same way. Just try and hold out till summer. Two strokes dont want to start in cold weather.

Yea but once they get warmed up they run like raped apes in the cold. My 250r, even with me having to kick it, it starts easier in the cold than my old 300ex did.

Tom TRX250R
02-08-2006, 08:32 PM
That is not a good excuse on why it won't start good regardless of whether it is a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. They are usually a little harder to start but shouldn't take 10 kicks to start. My current 250R no matter how cold it is will always start within a few kicks ( On average 2 kicks) When is the last time you rebuilt your R? My buddy has an all original R with lower compression and it usually like you described takes about 10-12 kicks to get it started when its cold where my other buddy Blake and I both have rebuilt motors and they fire up a lot sooner than his when cold.

Tom TRX250R
02-08-2006, 08:34 PM
Fontmaster,
I agree with you about the cold weather, its like a supercharger:devil:

quad_machine
02-10-2006, 05:26 PM
me too my 250r have difficulty to start in cold temperature, thursday im kiked over 30 and no start, the spark plug it is good but im changed, and looking was fire, and no start ! i start my 250r on compression with my pick-up, and afther my 250r fell ok, start one kik... today, i start my 250r and kiked over 30 time for starting. i know wath is the probleme so i suposed is the carburator freeze. in cold winter my 250r have not difficulty to start but my 250r have this probleme afther a long ride thursday in my pick-up...... :confused:

hollywood250r
02-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by hondardr4life
Thats just the way they are. 2 strokes don't like to start very easily in the cold.

I have to strongly disagree with this statement. Two strokes are hard to start when it is cold if there is a tuning issue or other problems. I know my motor usually starts with one kick (even when it is 15 degrees outside). Sometimes I have to kick it twice. When it is cold I choke it and give it about four slow primer kicks. Then I turn the ignition on and give it a good kick and it starts. As soon as it starts I turn the choke off. You might want to make sure that your gas in the carb bowl is fresh and that your slow circuit jetting is correct maybe a little rich. Also, how good is your ignition? Is it old?

grillbutt
02-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by hollywood250r
I have to strongly disagree with this statement. Two strokes are hard to start when it is cold if there is a tuning issue or other problems. I know my motor usually starts with one kick (even when it is 15 degrees outside). Sometimes I have to kick it twice. When it is cold I choke it and give it about four slow primer kicks. Then I turn the ignition on and give it a good kick and it starts. As soon as it starts I turn the choke off. You might want to make sure that your gas in the carb bowl is fresh and that your slow circuit jetting is correct maybe a little rich. Also, how good is your ignition? Is it old?

15 degrees drsnugfit lives in England when he says cold he's talking about 4 degrees like today :D

hollywood250r
02-11-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by grillbutt
15 degrees drsnugfit lives in England when he says cold he's talking about 4 degrees like today :D

I talking 15 degrees F which is a lot colder than 4 degrees C. Either way if the quad is tuned ok and in good working condition it should start easily. If takes 10 kicks to start it, there is a problem somewhere.

Dave83
02-11-2006, 09:35 PM
I use Hollywoods method of a few slow kicks with choke on.Mine usually starts within 2 hard kicks after that.I use this method all year round for the first start up of the day.

XCredrider
02-12-2006, 07:25 AM
if i go out to mine right now i can start it in 1 kick. not a half kick or anything like that but 1 good full kick and it will fire up with the choke on. thats afer sitting for atleast a wek in frozen indiana. then i shut the choke off and it just sits there and idles. 10 kicks is something messed up slightly imo

250R_4_ever
02-12-2006, 07:40 AM
Guys Wait a min You Are Wrong

Is a SKIDOO 2 stroke ? most of them are :D
and they start right away even at -20 degree

so your 2 stroke thing about hard starting when cold is not justified

my R start within 2 kicks all then time just like my skidoo and I live in (Quebec) Canada, so beleive me i know What Cold is

Just like Hollywood said It's a matter of carb tuning
Try a bigger Pilot it will start
other then that it's a compression problem or bad reeds

Good luck :chinese:

drsnugfit
02-14-2006, 08:36 AM
ok guys from reading the plug I should not have a problem, from what the plug is telling me the engine is in good condition and the tuning is pretty much spot on, do you think the problem could be with a weak spark or something along those lines.

drsnugfit
02-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Problem solved, I think it may have been a combination of things, I stripped the carb cleaned it and adjusted it up, then checked every connection on the ignition side, clean the connections and made sure they were nice and tight, now I can turn on the fuel, pull out the choke, one kick and it fires straight up, I think it may have been a combination of a weak spark and an incorrectly adjusted carb.