PDA

View Full Version : Twist Throttle what one to buy

BigSexy
02-08-2006, 01:20 AM
Hey guys just like the topic says im looking to put a twist throttle on my LT-R just as soon as it get here.
but i was wondering if there are some that are better quality than others and any other feedback you have on them.
will anyone work with the LT-R or will you have to buy a speical one?
thanks in advance

Ripitupfilms
02-08-2006, 01:25 PM
theres no reason to put a twist on an atv unless your running flat track..

02-08-2006, 02:51 PM
I second that. Quads and twist throttles don't go well together. You ever heard of Whisker Throttle? If not you don't want to, trust me.

02-08-2006, 02:52 PM
I meant Whiskey Throttle..LOL

BigSexy
02-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Hey guys thanks for the tip but i wasn't asking for your thoughts on weather or not to get one just looking for the best one to get.
ive ran dirt bikes for a while, and i race a motard and i road race an R1. im really use to the twist and thats what i want.

so please if you dont have an opinion on witch twist throttle will work or witch ones are good or bad than dont respond to my thread
thanks
Rob
sorry dont mean to be a dick just trying to keep this thread simple

02-08-2006, 04:52 PM
Motion Pro makes some good twist throttles, not sure if it will fit the LTR. When I warned you I am speaking from personal experience, and I ride street and supermoto also. Good luck man and watch out for the whoops.

Ripitupfilms
02-08-2006, 04:54 PM
sorry man but its just not safe.. you ran bikes witch is different than a quad with twist

rebelbanshee
02-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Ill stick up for you, I dont know why anyone would want to ride with a thumb throttle...worst invention ever

Motion Pro has always made good kits. Wheather or not they have a kit out for the LTR yet is a different question.

CdaleXtreme
02-08-2006, 08:01 PM
If you want one any time soon you will have to take some shots in the dark, and do some testing to see which one will allow you enough cable slack to mount one up. Usually you can find one off a dirt bike that will mount right up. It all depends on how much cable you need.

as far as it being right for a quad.....if you ride aggressivly, and hang off in corners, a twist throttle is undoubtedly counter productive.

If you arent riding that hard, and your thumb gets tired, knock your socks off.

Tom TRX250R
02-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Motion Pro makes a great twist throttle, you might have to wait a month or two until they design one for the new Lt450R.

And in defense of twist throttles, being used to motorcycles and dirtbikes, a thumb throttle is tired some and once you get used to it you wouldn't have it any other way. The first couple times you ride it in the whoops it does feel a little dangerous:eek2: But you get used to it and now after a few years with a twist on my R I can fly with it with no unpredictable throttle blips! And I ride MX, Dunes, etc.

thump4863
02-09-2006, 10:43 AM
Yeah get a motion pro no problems with mine.....and as far as twists not good on quads...i've put one on every quad I have owned and will never go back to a thumb. And I'm not even a bike rider.

Lurch
02-09-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by atvracer9m
sorry man but its just not safe.. you ran bikes witch is different than a quad with twist

I've ran twists on every quad I have owned. They are safe as long as the rider rides with his head on straight and doesn't push it beyond his/her ability. Granted that line is easier to cross, but when you get so use to the throttle that is is second nature, you can actually ride longer with less physical effects than with a thumb throttle. Ask Kory Ellis and Travis Spader.

Just my two cents.

haydug
02-10-2006, 06:44 AM
I would look to Motion Pro "vertex" (I think) series. They make a nice quality product. I also run a twist throttle, and see NO downside to it at all. It actually has 1 huge benifit. When people ask to ride my quad, I always say "sure". Then when they sit on it with the twist, they usually pass. ;)

Lurch
02-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by haydug
I would look to Motion Pro "vertex" (I think) series. They make a nice quality product. I also run a twist throttle, and see NO downside to it at all. It actually has 1 huge benifit. When people ask to ride my quad, I always say "sure". Then when they sit on it with the twist, they usually pass. ;)

Yup. That works also!

I use a YZ250F push/pull throttle on my Mojave because I am running a YZ250F carb on it.

02-10-2006, 08:33 AM
If you guys can run a twist on the MX track I have to tip my hat to you.

Mxjunkie
02-10-2006, 12:22 PM
Twists are better imo, more control and you dont have to worry about your thumb getting worn out. I can ride twice as fast with a twist.

WhiteZee
02-11-2006, 05:22 PM
tell chris borich or jeff stoess you cant ride a quad with a twist, you all are idiots.

i couldnt even finish one lap in an xc race with the thumb throttle, with only switching to the twist i can now finish every race.