PDA

View Full Version : will a 400ex beable to keep up??

firebug
02-07-2006, 10:40 PM
hello I am looking into buying a 2000 400ex, this will be the first quad I have owned but not the first time I've riden. the 400ex Im looking at as a hot cam, pro circuit pipe, and probably more (not sure of the mod list yet)

my questions is will I beable to keep up with some of my freinds with the 400ex?? one is a warrior with a bore kit, pipe, filter. bansee with pipe, 310 jets. and a piped preditor 500. we will be going to the dunes in a couple of months other than that we will be doing alot of trail/hill riding. Im not saying I want to beat them in a strait line, I just want to beable to hang with them in the strait aways. also how would the 400ex far in the trails with these quads??

I want a 250r or a raptor 660 but I really can't find any around were I am within my price range. any help or info on weather or not to get the 400ex would be great.

Thanks

sixer3
02-07-2006, 11:47 PM
the banshee is pretty much going to smoke you in any kind of striaght away(most likely), but you'll get him in the tight stuff ur going to smoke the warrior either way, if your getting a cam your (most likely) assuption* going to have a higher compression piston than stock and/or a bore kit which will help keep up with the predator, IMO the 400ex would be the most comfortable to ride in your area, the 400ex you seem to be describing will fair just fine

post again witht he mod list that way we can also help to tell you what to look for since buying used

GoOn3
02-08-2006, 02:11 AM
used 400ex is a good first quad to buy. Affordable and reliable and handle well.

400EXtreme
02-08-2006, 01:03 PM
in the trails it will def hang with all of them

tar
02-08-2006, 02:36 PM
u will be able to smoke the warrior but the banshee and predator should smoke u too but its a good quad

firebug
02-08-2006, 05:58 PM
well I found a great deal on a 250r so I might be going with it. It will be to much for me right now but I think I can handle it. link with mod list.

1987 TRX250R (http://www.racingquads.com/Classifieds.html)

Nac's ported top end
38 Keihin Air striker
FMF full exhaust
Works long travel front shocks triple rate with comp
adjust rezzies
Pro-action revalved rear shock
Lonestar swingarm
Antivibe stem
Fully adjustable +2 a-arms long travel
renthals
Holeshot mx tires
.190 wheels
Maier low pro rear plastic, race front
AC propeg nerfs
AC bumper
ESR billet case saver
Aluminum radiator scoops
Tag grips
V-force reed cage
Durablue rear adjustable strut
Durablue 2+2 axle, eliminator

Aztrx400
02-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Its almost 20 years old, how worn can it be??

firebug
02-09-2006, 06:12 AM
its been gone through and powder coated frame and new bushings. looks like a good deal to me. getting it for $2400. with the suspension thats on it is worth it.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?postid=2028078

Z-Rider86
02-09-2006, 03:33 PM
I know you said that you've riden before, but if it's ur first quad i'm not sure a 250R is the best idea. I've seen experienced riders have 'em get away from them. On top of that, If YOU think it might be a bit much, chances are it IS. A 400 will be right with them in the woods, and will keep up with, if not beat the Warrior.

Unverfehrt400ex
02-09-2006, 09:36 PM
you'll be able to smoke the warrior and run right with the predetor. Banshee will take ya in the dunes but in the trails youve got him.

250r4life
02-09-2006, 10:12 PM
go with the R- that is a smokin deal for that!!! the thing is is you can grow into the R. the 400ex doesnt take too much to outgrow... i would definately go for the 250r, even if you were just going to turn and sell it...

firebug
02-09-2006, 10:51 PM
well I know that its a great deal and I am a speed freak at heart so I know that I would outgrow the 400 around so many faster quads. The only doughts I have right now is that the frame has been welded on a little and the fully adjustable +2 a-arms long travel. the a-arms are awsome for racing and when I go to the dunes this april but Im afraid they might be to long and to low in the trails. Also this thing is setup to mx, i guess I can find some stock suspension parts for the trails. Also my buddy said that sence its been ported and has a bigger carb and pipe that I will probabaly always have to be on it, no putting around. is that true?? I have been doing alot of research and I really really want this thing, but it might not be the right one for me since I don't mx. but I will do some drags here and there to support the 2 strokes ;)

250r4life
02-09-2006, 11:01 PM
it depends on the way it has been ported... if the guy you are buying it from knows a lot (he should) he should know what kind of port job they did, and if they raised the exhaust ports and what not and to where they aimed the power... if it is set up for mx i imagine it would be a mid range port, which would be fine for your needs... as for the carb, i personally stayed away from the 38pwk a/s cuz i had heard the same thing about having a great top end, but taking a while to get there. i went with the 36pwk, and it works great, but i am curious to know how my bike would be with a 38. a lot of people say there bottom end is still fine with the 38 and 39 carbs... worst case you could get it, and if it doesnt work swap out some stuff. you could probably pick up a used pv jug, and maybe adjust your front end... i just know that it costs a lot of money to put on whats on that bike..

firebug
02-10-2006, 06:17 AM
thats what I thought, I can get used to it because its really hard right now to pass up. I want a 250r and it is exactly in my price range. its fait, lol.

curious george
02-10-2006, 05:20 PM
i have smoked both a warrior and a banshee in the trails aand in small straights but in the dunes you can gleam about beating the warrior but that banshee eats "400ex's on the beach" per say.

crewworrior
02-11-2006, 02:01 PM
i just sold my 250r and bought a 400ex it doesnt go as fast on topend but it works alot better in the woods,which is what i ride mostly.to answer the question about running with the preadator,worrior and banshee. like others said on a straight the banshee will take all, but thats about it.my 250r would run side by side with a stock predator on the highway.and hang pretty well in the woods.but the powerband was unpredictable inthe woods which caused a few good crashes.thats what made me decide to get the 400.